If you could name your child anything..

(196 Posts)
dreamer79 Mon 05-Sep-11 18:03:50

..and I mean anything (no matter how ridiculous, if there are bad connections, what others think or whether it sounds good with surname) what would it be?

I love the names Constantine and River for boys and Sonnet and Indigo but they are a bit 'out there' and would not work in RL!

So what would yours be? grin

extracrunchy Sat 15-Jun-13 20:35:24

Indigo grin

Exhaustipated Sat 15-Jun-13 20:49:02

I've got loads.

Inigo
Ossian
Rowan
Jonah
Zeb
Quentin

Meadow
Viola
Cordelia
Ottalie
Ophelia
Octavia
Ariadne
Arwen

But my DC have my very favourite names smile

Anjou Sun 16-Jun-13 03:27:50

Nice to see that DS1's first & MN and DS2's MN are on people's wishlists! (Constantine is one of them).

For boys: Iggy, Ziggy, Wolfie (vetoed by DH as 'they're not real names'. I guess he has a point)

For girls: Blythe (doesn't go with surname), Freya (loved it since I was a wee girl and met a Norwegian Freya. Never heard it again until about 4 years ago & now it's every frickin where), Severine (LOVE it, deemed 'too harsh' by DH). Also, I don't have a DD ... yet. grin

HoveringKestrel Sun 16-Jun-13 03:54:39

Wolf, Shadow, Jet, Lightning, Cobra, Hunter, Nightshade, Falcon...no, actually they're gladiators.

Would be fun though.

amazingmumof6 Sun 16-Jun-13 04:30:30

it would have to be YODA!

I just love the little old bugger! grin

MyShoofly Sun 16-Jun-13 05:22:42

for girls I love love Nan, Saskia, Stasia, Ariadne, Esme and for boys I love Odin, Ollie, Attacus and Malachi

mixedmamameansbusiness Sun 16-Jun-13 20:14:38

Oh I have to add Ivan! I actually know an Ivan ... It is awesome.

FreedomOfTheTess Sun 16-Jun-13 20:17:17

If I was brave enough my children would be named...

DS1 - Abraham
DS2 - Raphael
DD1 - Junia
DD2 - Merris

Their real names...

Jack
Alexander
Sarah
Mary

poppydaisy Mon 17-Jun-13 13:31:09

Great collection of names on everyones' wish lists! Perhaps we should all be a little braver because most of these names are wonderful and more interesting than the current top 10 names....!

amazingmumof6 Mon 17-Jun-13 16:01:33

I told DS3 is MichaeI wish I had been brave in enough to call him Malachi or Micha

he looked at me like I'm mental, shook his head and sighed : "good job you didn't! "grin

I'm glad DH agreed to name DS4 Noah!

And DS2 should have been Samson or Magnus, either would suit his personality.
He's happy being Samuel though...

YouMaySayImADreamer Mon 17-Jun-13 17:25:13

I absolutely love the names Magdelena and Gabriella for a girl but dp looks at me like im a looney when i suggest then!

Also love the names India and Saskia for a girl but not allowed these either because he says theyre too posh/pretentious!

MyShoofly Tue 18-Jun-13 03:48:12

best name I've ever heard was one of my brothers school friends....Athenasis Gerasis (just try saying it with me ladies)

rolls off your tongue in a lovely way. Ive had a crush on this guys name for 20 years. Too bad I'm not Greek or I would have made a case to steal it for one of my sons grin

JackReacher Mon 09-Sep-13 10:20:39

Loving all the positive comments for Constantine!
My little boy is 7months now and I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't like it (plus it a great / easy name for foreigners/non-english speakers to say / be familiar with too which we've found really great).z
Xx

NooMyx Mon 09-Sep-13 10:52:48

For a girl maybe Tuuli or Lumi, or Elanor from LOTR.
For a boy Otava, August or Linus.

I don't think most of these would be too out there, just either a bit awkward in the UK, and/or vetoed by DH.
It's ok. Plenty of other names out there that I love. smile

NooMyx Mon 09-Sep-13 10:54:41

And I'm glad you went with it JackReacher, it's lovely. smile

noodlebum Mon 09-Sep-13 11:17:28

Caspar for a boy, but OH said no due to the ghost, and a dog in the family already called it. He also said no to Astrid for a girl as it 'doesn't sound very feminine' sad

noodlebum Mon 09-Sep-13 11:21:09

Oh and I always loved Lily since reading Harry Potter as a kid, but it's way too popular now and someone in the family have also now used it.

kiwik Mon 09-Sep-13 19:27:34

DH vetoed lots of names that have made my list:
Ivo
Ludo
Atticus
Geronimo
Galahad
Saul

Anything ending in an e sound is terrible with our surname, and I love Ptolemy but could never use it. Ditto Ottillie, which with the surname sounds just like Utterly Butterly.

peachyyy Tue 10-Sep-13 12:53:26

Sylvia Jean or Dorothy Jean for a daughter are my favourites ever ever ever. I don't like boys names so I would probably just use the same... or, like, Sylvester or something haha.

peachyyy Tue 10-Sep-13 12:57:20

I also love the idea of an Autumn, Willow, Winter, Luna type name in the hope of having a cute little hippy running around the house but would never seriously do it.

TheSlug Tue 10-Sep-13 13:14:49

Holliday for a girl, think it's beautiful.

TheGreatCatsby Tue 10-Sep-13 14:00:49

i would love to have Minna but surname begins Mina-.....

<waits hopefully for someone to say that it is fine>

I would love a boy called Gusto.

fiishfingers Tue 10-Sep-13 14:09:18

Susan, after my childhood doll,DH would not have it, 3 times.

Belmo Tue 10-Sep-13 14:23:34

For girls:
Toby
Dylan (DP hates both)
Bethan (love but doesn't work with surname)

Boys:
Merlin
Orion
Onyx
Phoenix
Sirius
Zephyr (all a bit too 'out-there')

Also love Jack but wouldn't use as its so common and we have a really common surname too.

TheYamiOfYawn Tue 10-Sep-13 14:29:12

Lucifer.

In more realistic possibilities, I like Loveday and linnet, but DP vetoed them. I seem to be yearning for L names today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now