If you could name your child anything..

(196 Posts)
dreamer79 Mon 05-Sep-11 18:03:50

..and I mean anything (no matter how ridiculous, if there are bad connections, what others think or whether it sounds good with surname) what would it be?

I love the names Constantine and River for boys and Sonnet and Indigo but they are a bit 'out there' and would not work in RL!

So what would yours be? grin

hellokitty123 Tue 06-Sep-11 14:23:32

Good point, MamaLazarou. I'm surprised too how many perfectly lovely names are considered 'too out there' hmm.

dreamer79 Tue 06-Sep-11 14:48:25

hellokitty it's not just names that I wouldn't be brave enough to use, surely there must be names that you love that would maybe not sound right with your surname or that your OH hates?

Quenelle Tue 06-Sep-11 16:15:14

TheBride my DH loves Jean-Baptiste too but it would be odd with our surname.

Someone mentioned John-Paul the other day and I liked the sound of it.

I love Helen but it's a close family member's name.

I also like Daphne but our surname starts with a 'nee' sound so would be silly. (Think I've been watching too much Frasier anyway.)

mythical Tue 06-Sep-11 17:28:44

i'd name a girl Arya (spelled ah-ree-uh)

mythical Tue 06-Sep-11 17:33:28

and Morgan for a boy

argylesocks Tue 06-Sep-11 18:16:50

Axel or Wolf! I tried but dh wasn't going for it. I'm also liking Tarquin and Ptolemy.. Hmmm ideas for next time!

LaWeasel Tue 06-Sep-11 21:23:54

I also love Leo (it's my BIL's name, so out)

And loads of S ending names like Rufus & Alexis which don't go with our last name.

plinkplonk Tue 06-Sep-11 21:33:46

Constantine is a great name!

I have always loved the name Lettice, nn Letty.

Ozias would be nice, it was the name of my great, great, great grandfather. Not sure it would be very accepted though...... But my 3rd cousin twice removed (who is also interested in our family tree) is considering using it for any children he might have (doesn't have any yet, but is hoping to).

Caoimhe Tue 06-Sep-11 21:42:57

I think Ozias sounds really good!

I would have loved to use Varsha but (1) I'm not Indian and (2) I only had boys. Such a pity.

One of ds's best friends is Vacha (but she is Indian).

pchick Tue 06-Sep-11 21:45:37

Roderigo (Shakesphere influence), Ernest (family connection), Douglas, Dylan, other Welsh names

Janet, Heather, Cassandra, Dorothy,

saintmerryweather Tue 06-Sep-11 23:31:04

Ptolemy? Are you serious, you'd saddle your DC with the name Ptolemy? I'm waiting for the day I can use Edith for my DD - sadly also love the name Evelyn which with the nicknames - Edie and Evie.....don't think it'll work!

Sn0wGoose Wed 07-Sep-11 09:44:01

I'd love Fletcher, it's in my family going way, way back - but DH reckons it's old fashioned sad

winkle2 Wed 07-Sep-11 10:00:41

I love the name Coco!

Maryz Wed 07-Sep-11 10:05:52

I wanted to name ds1 Zinzan after a New Zealand rugby player. I rather wish I had now grin.

I like River and Wolf, and Hunter blush, but would never have used them.

CaptainNancy Wed 07-Sep-11 10:07:05

Surely you can name your child anything?

We used the names we liked most, it doesn't matter what others think.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 07-Sep-11 10:10:50

Lydia, Ellen, Anna, Betty, Kitty, Dolly, Dotty, ZamZam, Samia, Alia are all names I really liked for DD but none go with her surname.
Boys - Eric, Duncan, Adrian, Gavin, Bill, Alex, Ted but she didn't have a winkle.

Kveta Wed 07-Sep-11 10:34:26

Otylie for a girl - but DH says it is a fat german name in his country. I also love Otto for a boy, but he said the same - brings images of fat germans to mind in his country.
Love Felix too (but not a cat lover), and Islay or Seona for a girl, but DH's family would have real trouble spelling and pronouncing them.

currently, if we manage to hang onto a baby for long enough to need a name for it, I am plotting Matylda for a girl, and Toby (Tobias) for a boy, even though DH is sceptical. He prefers Eduard and Emilie.

Empusa Wed 07-Sep-11 10:39:41

bunintheoven1 My brother is trying to convince us to name our future child Aslan. (Or She-Ra)

I really like Persephone

gorionine Wed 07-Sep-11 10:41:06

Nutella for a girl and

Twix for a boy

grin

Bumpsadaisie Wed 07-Sep-11 10:43:25

I love

Augustine
Clement
Zephaniah
Herbert
Anastasios

Aspasia
Anastasia
Clementina
Thomasina

gorionine Wed 07-Sep-11 10:52:42

There is quite a lot of names I really like on this thread BTW!

DessieLou Wed 07-Sep-11 11:17:42

This thread is brilliant for inspiration! I love Pheobus for a boy...any thoughts? kveta I love Ottilie...that is now on my list! Good luck with your bump btw smile

hellokitty123 Wed 07-Sep-11 11:26:43

Otto is definately a very 'uncool' name in Germany - almost comical actually.

Love Ottilie for a girl though.

Also love Clement, Quentin and Lucian.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now