If you could name your child anything..

(196 Posts)
dreamer79 Mon 05-Sep-11 18:03:50

..and I mean anything (no matter how ridiculous, if there are bad connections, what others think or whether it sounds good with surname) what would it be?

I love the names Constantine and River for boys and Sonnet and Indigo but they are a bit 'out there' and would not work in RL!

So what would yours be? grin

Greythorne Mon 05-Sep-11 21:41:53

Prospero
Octavia
Huckleberry
Peregrine

rachel234 Mon 05-Sep-11 21:53:08

I love Peregrine, nickname Perry.

bunintheoven1 Mon 05-Sep-11 22:01:52

Aslan, but I would sound like a nutter shouting it in the playground grin

I absolutely love all of the names from the OP, although would not have the guts to use them...except maybe Indigo nn Indie.. hmm

Chynah Mon 05-Sep-11 22:43:42

If I ever had another boy (i wont) he would have been Constantine (Kit)!

DigOfTheStump Mon 05-Sep-11 22:46:24

Carrick for a boy, Mallory for a girl.

TheOriginalBanshee Mon 05-Sep-11 22:47:27

I've always liked the sound of Jezebel

dreamer79 Mon 05-Sep-11 22:53:30

Lots of positive feedback for Constantine, that may be a contender now!

Asa or Frazer, if I could go back 10 years ds would be named one of those two.

DessieLou Mon 05-Sep-11 23:11:21

Girls...Persephone(Persie), Ophelia, Octavia, Arrietty.
Boys...Lysander, Fifer.
Will no doubt think of more as soon as I post this!

BunnyWunny Mon 05-Sep-11 23:13:57

I have the opposite problem- I would love a Carlotte and a Christopher but wouldn't choose them as they are a bit dull in reality.

BunnyWunny Mon 05-Sep-11 23:14:21

Sorry- Charlotte!

autumngirl231 Mon 05-Sep-11 23:15:37

Fabian and Dorian have been loves of mine for years but I would never have the guts be able to persuade DH to use them!

On the other hand he is fixated with the idea of a little girl called Tigerlily!

Soothe Mon 05-Sep-11 23:16:28

Tarquin

I absolutely love it

dreamer79 Mon 05-Sep-11 23:16:59

Bunny, Christopher is on my own list as a middle name and the nn Kit is adorable and not at all dull!

startail Mon 05-Sep-11 23:19:35

Ptolemy
and
Andromeda like the galaxy or Elenora like the
Spanish queen with a falcon named after her, but they'd get shorten to Ann and Ella which isn't the point.

DessieLou Mon 05-Sep-11 23:22:54

I know a Kit, thats his full name, really suits him. I love Fabian...a good strong name. Similar to one of my favourites, Gabriel (Gabe)...DP thinks it sounds 'gay'. Where do men get their ideas from?!

Ysidro and Ynez.

No, we are not Spanish.

DessieLou Mon 05-Sep-11 23:47:59

Oh, I forgot Rupert. LOVE Rupert! And for a girl Ariella.

minkiemoo Tue 06-Sep-11 00:24:59

I wanted Clementine and Rupert or Gabriel but wasn't 'allowed'.

TheBride Tue 06-Sep-11 00:31:46

Jean-Baptiste but we are not French so it would sound utterly ridiculous with our surname.

Offspring Tue 06-Sep-11 02:58:37

Eloise. For a boy. I'm carrying a DS and if I could name him anything I would use it as it is my very favourite name in the world.

Happily DH agrees to using my favourite boys name though so I am pleased with what we will probably call him anyway.

bunintheoven1 Tue 06-Sep-11 11:47:23

I love french names, particuarly Didier and Laurent but, with absolutely no french heritage from me or DH they are out of the question sad

Another favourite name which sadly doesn't go with our surname is Eric

leicestershiregirl Tue 06-Sep-11 12:01:11

Don't get why people think Gabriel would be shortened to Gay. DS is Gabriel and when naming him this possibility never crossed my mind. Have always loved the name and don't consider it 'out-there' at all - it's now in the top 100 boy's names.

Some of the other names on here are not that out-there either - I know both an Orphelia and a Rowan (male).

Kind of like Iolanthe for a girl. OH really likes Hestia.

rachel234 Tue 06-Sep-11 12:33:08

"Don't get why people think Gabriel would be shortened to Gay"

Because silly schoolboys have very silly, imaginative minds grin. Just like William will get shortened to Willy and Ellie to Smellie Ellie etc. In other words all names can get teased with a bit of imagination.

MamaLazarou Tue 06-Sep-11 13:18:13

What an odd question - I would choose the name I already chose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now