If you could name your child anything..

(196 Posts)
dreamer79 Mon 05-Sep-11 18:03:50

..and I mean anything (no matter how ridiculous, if there are bad connections, what others think or whether it sounds good with surname) what would it be?

I love the names Constantine and River for boys and Sonnet and Indigo but they are a bit 'out there' and would not work in RL!

So what would yours be? grin

bigbluebump Mon 05-Sep-11 18:18:55

I think those names would be wonderful in real life and much more interesting than Jack, Charlie or Ella.

I like Indigo and Constantine in particular. I know a German Konstantin - quite popular there.

confusedandsilly Mon 05-Sep-11 18:27:31

If I had a son, I'll call him Marc-Antoine and if it was a girl, I'll call her Nell.

Kayano Mon 05-Sep-11 18:41:45

Allenby for a girl

I have no 'out there' boys names

LaWeasel Mon 05-Sep-11 18:59:20

DD would be Maya and DS would Lafayette!!

MsMarple Mon 05-Sep-11 19:05:01

DS would have been a lovely Merlin, but DH really put his foot down sad

sjuperwolef Mon 05-Sep-11 19:11:11

not out there but maison - doesnt go with my maiden or married names sad

Dillydollydaydream Mon 05-Sep-11 19:14:34

I really like Willow or Sylvie for a girl
For a boy I really like Edward but I think too many people will associate the name with Twilight

AssetRichIncomePoor Mon 05-Sep-11 19:14:37

Boo and Hephsibah for girls. Gaylord and Emmanuel for boys. DH vetoed all of them.

I love Constantine.

sjuperwolef Mon 05-Sep-11 19:18:29

ah twilight the bane of my life - we are expecting ds and dp wanted to call him jacob after his grandad but im at the age where im within the 'twilight demographic' <boak> and every idiot would presume im a twilight knob angry

I realy wanted Anahera, Aroha, Atama, Ngaire, Matiu, Eti, Tiamana, Tamati, Rua or Rangi DH vetoed all as first names but as these names are part of my herritage i did get to use some as MNgrin.

When expecting the twins DH declared he had always loved Aphrodite, Apollo, Artemis, Athena and Hestia. I also think they all sound lovely but we just couldnt do it. They just didnt sound right with our oter dc names, and sound awfull with surname.

Hassled Mon 05-Sep-11 20:26:12

Isabella. DS3 would have been an Isabella.

mrsravelstein Mon 05-Sep-11 20:26:40

for ds2 i liked cosmo (cue total horror from dh and ds1)

for dc3, before we found out she was in fact a girl, i was going to absolutely insist on Marlow for a boy (dh and ds1 fall on floor in horror)

DoubleDegreeStudent Mon 05-Sep-11 20:27:46

St John for a boy, for a girl either Cordelia or one of the graces (Verity/Unity/Patience).

I also love all the Greek/Roman names, but my family have a fairly classical background so am worried would just sound arsey. Also, I loved Hermione and Ginny before Harry Potter, but now feel like I can't do it...

TheSecondComing Mon 05-Sep-11 20:30:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EBDteacher Mon 05-Sep-11 20:33:04

Remus or Ptolemy for a boy.

If I had a DD I'd like to (but would never) call her Shayne. blush

TeamVodka Mon 05-Sep-11 20:33:24

Diggory for a boy.

Cornelia (Nelly) for a girl.

Louplet Mon 05-Sep-11 20:54:22

If DC3 is a boy he will probably be Constantine smile

There are lots of girl's names I love that don't go with our surname or have been pinched by celebs (Rowan, Willow, Hero)

Nightstar Mon 05-Sep-11 20:58:22

I wanted names from LOTR - Arwen for a girl and Theoden for a boy

rachel234 Mon 05-Sep-11 21:02:10

Some lovely names on here - love Constantine, Remus, Emmanuel, Athena and Margaret. Are they really too 'out there'?

I loved the name Florian for a boy but dh vetoed (too feminine, apparently).

LaWeasel Mon 05-Sep-11 21:06:29

Well, in my case DH just didn't like Maya. There's nothing out there about it at all as far as I know.

Lafayette is too out-there sadly.

Lolita or Jezebel for a girl and I would have Lafayette too LaWeasel! I love it!
I actualy asked dp to consider it blush

BelleEnd Mon 05-Sep-11 21:10:02

I'd love to have literary names- Shakespeare. Auden. But how wanky would that sound.
Would love Peggy for a girl.

redglow Mon 05-Sep-11 21:33:19

I love sunflower

lockets Mon 05-Sep-11 21:40:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now