2010 stats released today

(265 Posts)

Last year's statistics have just been released [[ http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=184 online]]

Oliver and Olivia still top names.

I'm about to scour the rest of the list for inspiration and to check the names I've chosen aren't too popular

What do we think?

Sorry, link didn't work: here

AlfieandAnnieRose Thu 28-Jul-11 09:50:51

Ooo Im excited!! Going to have a look now, thanks PrincessJenga.

GreatGooglyMoogly Thu 28-Jul-11 10:08:21

This is quite interesting too smile.

Hehe! Three people called their children Timotei last year. Oh I'm going to have a fun judgy day

Yay, dc2's potential name has dropped out of the top 100 smile

Cherrypi Thu 28-Jul-11 10:50:29

Those poor three little Wolfgangs. Fascinating stuff.

Sprink Thu 28-Jul-11 11:32:26

Why Lexi & Lexie, Isobel & Isabel, Maisie & Maisy? -- each gets its own spot, which seems misleading to me. They are, essentially, the same names (in their pairs, that is).

onlyaname Thu 28-Jul-11 11:40:38

I was pleased, and surprised, to see that Ava is still just outside the top 10. Not quite as popular as I thought it was going to be.

Sprink - there are even more spellings of some of those names out there.. Maizie, Mazie, Isabelle, Isobelle....

MsChanandlerBong Thu 28-Jul-11 11:50:26

My favourite name has got more popular... 41 girls called it in 2010 compared to 33 in 2009. Still a long way from the top 100 though. (Will DD hate me for never being able to find pens/mugs/keyrings with her name on in giftshops?!)

gallicgirl Thu 28-Jul-11 11:58:29

All different spellings get their own entry.

If Mohammed wasn't spelt about 18 different ways, it would probably be the number 1 boy's name.

It doesn't make much sense for different spellings to have different entries. It completely skews the results.

CaptainNancy Thu 28-Jul-11 12:11:46

greatgoogly- your link is very interesting too!
I am amazed how little change there has been - top 11 boys and top 10 girls, same names, just slightly changed order.

I am also amazed at some of the names- despite the seeming popularity of some, I only know perhaps 1 example in rl (e.g. Jessica, or Alfie) or none at all (eg Emily, Daniel, James). Someone on another thread warlier was saying they knew no Ruby or Avas, but we know at least 6 of each! There is such regional variation...

gallicgirl Thu 28-Jul-11 12:15:11

Yay - not on the list , technically because we have a yoonique spelling but in reality it's medieval English.
The regular spelling is in the top 50 though.

Cherrypi Thu 28-Jul-11 12:18:16

I think it would be difficult to know when to group names together and when not to in certain cases so having each unique spelling counted is probably the clearest way of doing it.

Sausagesarenottheonlyfruit Thu 28-Jul-11 12:29:00

How can I find the names outwith the top 100?

You've just outed yourself to me PrincessJenga. I shall repeat my horror that seven boys were called C (wtf?) so you know who I am grin

CaptainNancy Thu 28-Jul-11 12:49:57

sausages- there are spreadsheet linked to from PJ's link- the end sheet has a full list, down to 3 instances (presumably names with 1 or 2 instances are missed off for privacy reasons?).
There's a separate excel file for boys and for girls.

stardustn Thu 28-Jul-11 12:58:52

I love looking at the stats smile
Is Pheobe a misspelling of Phoebe or is it a different pronounciation?
I was very surprised to see that the shortening of my name is in the top 200 and is almost twice as popular as the long version, which I thought was much more commonly given.

Haha Chutes! I feared that may happen. Hello!

razzlebathbone Thu 28-Jul-11 13:03:47

Neither DD's or DS's in there.

MelinaM Thu 28-Jul-11 13:05:21

A lot of 'cutsie' names are still on the rise I seehmm

slowshow Thu 28-Jul-11 13:08:23

Oh joy, oh rapture, I love these stats. Wasn't expecting them to be released before my baby's due date in Sept, which is a bonus grin

QueenOfFeckingEverything Thu 28-Jul-11 13:09:35

Why do they miss out the names with only 1 or 2 uses? I don't get how that protects privacy as there are no details given other than the name itself confused

vividgingerchilli Thu 28-Jul-11 13:10:17

How I pity the three boys called Sylvester who are probably forever going to be asked where Tweety pie is.

The names I chose for mine have all dropped out of the top 100. I'm surprised that they were ever in there TBH as DS is the only one in his school of 500 and DD was the only one when she was there and is now the only one in her school of 1400.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now