Which names are would you consider 'too posh/try-hard/odd' to be used?

(416 Posts)
AKMD Mon 25-Jul-11 13:40:14

Having seen a few names pop up which, when read out to my office colleagues, have caused great hilarity, I was wondering which names poeple on MN generally consider too posh/try hard/odd to be passed off in RL. I absolutely love Arabella but have been told that DH and I aren't posh enough to use it sad Ditto Lucinda.

I have to admit I did laugh at Mungo. Sorry to any Mungos/parents of Mungos out there!

MelinaM Mon 25-Jul-11 16:34:21

I don't think it's necessarily 'the name', but the perception of 'the name' by certain people ...if that makes sense!

I personally don't see Lucinda as 'posh', quite the opposite in fact. Arabella is becoming more popular due to the Isabella / Annabelle connection.

Mungo is the patron saint of Glasgow, I rather like it! ..but then I am rather eccentric! grin

PukeyRag Mon 25-Jul-11 20:41:44

I like the names Arabella and Lucinda smile however I would sway more towards Lucinda as school children can be cruel and may shorten Arabella to Arab.

catinthehat2 Mon 25-Jul-11 20:45:42

Hamish

Ringosbaby Mon 25-Jul-11 20:49:10

Ah I love Arabella. It was our choice for DS2 if he'd been DD2!

As Melina says, its peoples perception of the name...I was at school with a really horrible girl called Lucinda, so while the name is quite pretty I couldn't go there!

reelingintheyears Mon 25-Jul-11 20:49:54

Joccasta
Tarquin
Quentin
Araminta
Loads of 'em

I like Lucinda though

EdithWeston Mon 25-Jul-11 20:50:18

The truly posh people I know all have normal names.

I have come across some real eye-openers in the "trying too hard" category (especially if alternate spellings are included, and unique names).

Taffeta Mon 25-Jul-11 20:50:49

I wasn't allowed Cressida for DD as DH said it was nobbish. hmm

reelingintheyears Mon 25-Jul-11 20:51:30

EdithWeston,are you from Rutland?

Collision Mon 25-Jul-11 20:51:43

Cosima
Cassius
Pandora
Lucien
Romilly

Would never use any of these but quite like a couple of these.

EdithWeston Mon 25-Jul-11 20:58:11

reeling: whatever gave you that idea? wink

Not anymore.

mumzy Mon 25-Jul-11 20:59:25

If you like the name I'd use it and not think it's too posh for you. I grew up in a northern inner city and went to school with kids called Neville, Horace, Lavinia, Gracia, Xenia (I kid you not) and I never thought their names were posh or anything out of the ordinary

I love the name Ptolemy. In my parallel universe I would have called the boys Ptolemy nn Tolly and Alexander nn Xander. However DH would have divorced me if I'd suggested it in RL.

Disclaimer: I had friends called Tolly and Xander at university and they were completely normal, honest. I also had a friend called Rupert.

Wallissimpson Mon 25-Jul-11 21:05:47

OOh, loads of tryingtoohard to be middle clarrs names such as,

Monty
Cuthbert
Casper
Atticus
Quentin
Tarquin
Percy
Cosima
Cosimo

Wallissimpson Mon 25-Jul-11 21:06:19

Proppa poshos call their kids William and Jane.

JoanofStark Mon 25-Jul-11 21:10:13

Mimi. Awful. Good for a hamster though.

PaperBank Mon 25-Jul-11 21:16:32

Portia, Candida, Camilla, Bunty, Hermione, Jemima, Hester, India, Euphemia, Ophelia, Tabitha, Cosima, Araminta, Cordelia, Persephone, Matilda, Lucinda, Augusta

Crispin, Piers, Marmaduke, Digby, Ptolemy, Humphrey, Monty, Rafferty, Hugo, Roderick, Jonty, Pascal, Rupert, St John, Jolyon, Claude, Peregrine, Conrad

DessertsInReverse Mon 25-Jul-11 21:43:42

try to hard rather than posh imo would be names with greek or roman overtones eg persephone , ptolemy ,octavia .pre harry potter hermione would have been in this category . they almost feel like people are almost advertising the fact they've studied latin and greek in a look at me sort of way .

girls names with hard vowel sounds eg octavia , augusta , araminta ,georgiana . i do quite like augusta and octavia but they just don't pass the supermarket test and i'm not brave enough .

boys names that contain softer sounding constonants or unusual consonants eg tarquin ,quentin ,peregrine .

also boys names that feel more suited to a pet eg marmaduke , digby ,teddy etc

paperback i'd no longer class matilda as posh maybe 10 or 20 years but now it's well inside the top 100 and probably nudging the top 50

lockets Mon 25-Jul-11 21:48:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SpottyFrock Mon 25-Jul-11 21:54:48

We know a very posh family (old money) through dh's work and their 3 kids are teddy, John and lizzie. With of course, teddy and lizzie being Edward and Elizabeth.

DessertsInReverse Mon 25-Jul-11 21:59:05

lockets if i really loved a name i'd use it too regardless of how it was perceived by others . two of our dd's have names mentioned on here just because we loved them not because we were trying to hard be different or are posh iyswim .
likewise jemima is imo a lovely biblical name .i'd have loved to use for dd4 ,if my dsis hadn't beaten me to . in the US it is seen i believe as a slaves name .

Rhubarbgarden Mon 25-Jul-11 23:05:22

Leopoldina. I didn't make that up, I just met one.

Greythorne Mon 25-Jul-11 23:33:24

Candida
Cosima
Araminta
Allegra
Electra
Arabella
Harriet
Tabitha
Belinda
Santa
Ophelia

Rufus
Peregrine
Tarquin
Cecil
Rupert
Rory
Digby
Maurice
Quentin
Toby
Bartholomew
Charles
Spencer
Columbus
Cassius
Julius
Malachi

hester Mon 25-Jul-11 23:39:47

Hester, posh? Really? shock

NotADudeExactly Mon 25-Jul-11 23:45:15

Hmm, so am I right to conclude that anything classical, whether Greek or Roman, is basically out of the question? Shame - I've always quite liked them.

What about if the namesake is a villain?

Clytemnaestra?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now