Nicknames for Gabriel that aren't "Gabe"!

(76 Posts)
Sparklies Fri 13-May-11 15:45:46

Further to my post yesterday:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/baby_names/1213006-Still-stuck-between-two-names-and-now-two-weeks-old-Help?pg=1

Thank you very much everyone for your ideas! I actually added up the "definite Raphael"s and "definite Gabriel"s just as a matter of interest (the online equivalent of tossing a coin maybe) and it was 8 - 8 each. Argh!!

Anyway, given I do like Gabriel, I just have a problem with the nickname "Gabe" - so I said to DH if we can come up with a better nickname, we'll go with Gabriel Flynn.

Obviously when he's older we have a lot less control over who calls him what, but if he has an established nickname when he's younger maybe it'll make the difference. And besides, I don't have to call him "Gabe" unless he demands it of me and if that's the case I'll deal with it as it'll be his wish.

So what other nicknames are there/could we get away with? Somebody suggested Gabe pronounced "Gay-bee" which isn't too bad, but I wondered how realistically we could get away with say "Eli" (and if so, how would it be pronounced?) Would "El-lee" sound too feminine? Or indeed any other variants?

Thanks!! Almost there grin - you've all been great!!

LillyNotOfTheValley Wed 09-Oct-13 00:41:57

All the Gabriels I know go by Gab' (to rhyme with "fab" grin) if that helps?

Bluestocking Tue 08-Oct-13 21:35:06

Gabriel is the best name! My Gabriel announced at the start of Year 3 that he wanted to be Gabe at school - he'd officially been Gabriel up until then although a lot of his friends called him Gabe. DP and I call him Gabriel or Gabe. His nickname is something completely different and unrelated to his name - it dates back to when he was brand new and very cute!

CrispyFB Tue 08-Oct-13 20:45:14

This is the OP smile

I am pregnant with DC4 right now (girl!) and was just browsing the baby names forum (of course) for ideas and was very surprised to see my old thread resurrected a few times including quite recently in fact!

Lovely to see recent comments, thank you all! Quite a few to consider for when he is older I am sure.

For the interested, DD1 started calling him "Gooby" when he was a few weeks old and it stuck. Not the sweetest or classiest nickname ever, but somehow it suits him and by the looks of things it's pretty unique, perhaps unsurprisingly wink. He even thinks he is called "Gooby" (he's 2.5 now!) and refers to himself as such, not Gabriel. I doubt it will follow him into school and beyond but for now, he is "Gooby"!

Totally outed now if anyone I know is reading! fwiw my MIL found this thread when she searched for his name after we'd named him, hence the name change a good few years ago now. So be warned if you post names here even without a surname if your choice is two fairly unusual names.

MairzyDoats Wed 25-Sep-13 23:25:55

Our gorgeous Gabriel gets Gabe, Gabey, baby G, and currently answers to Bagel smile

serin Wed 25-Sep-13 23:20:10

....and welcome to Gabzilla.

serin Wed 25-Sep-13 23:18:18

I have a Gabriel, his nickname is nothing related to his name at all, it's more to do with his hobby!

He has never been called Gay but then the people he is at school with are intelligent enough not to use 'gay' as a term of abuse.

MrsDibble Wed 25-Sep-13 22:42:13

Gabri is good - I think that's what they use in Italy.

Cocolikeschocolate Wed 25-Sep-13 22:33:18

How about Brie .... like the cheese ..... its late ... i'm sorry!

MrsDibble Wed 25-Sep-13 22:17:06

Not to spoil Gabs for you, but my daughter is called Gabriella and everyone calls her Gabs for short. This came up organically though, as we never planned it as a nn - we planned to call her Ella for short but it never stuck.

G is a good short form for Gabriel I agree.

We did like Gabriel for a boy before we liked the name Gabriella, but we did worry about about the possible nickname "Gay". That shouldn't be a bad thing, but I suppose it is in the playground.

I am also strangely attracted to archangel names, and did laugh at the idea of Uriel!

Gabzillla Wed 25-Sep-13 22:04:49

I only signed up for this cuz I wanted to answer ur question on nn for people called Gabriel my name is Gabriel so I throught I would share what people call me. Gabe,gabs. Gabby. Gaybee (just a friend nn). Gab. Gabri (like gab-rie). Gaz(been called gaze before by straner who didn't hear my name right but still sounds good). That's about all I can think of please reply if this helps and btw I'm not a mum let alone a woman I am a male and has not got a girlfriend so no babies.

The Gabriel I knew at school had chosen Gabi, which is great.

TBH IME you get very little say in nicknames as a parent. If he or his friends choose Gabe, will you regret the choice?

I love all your names btw!

bootsycollins Wed 15-May-13 09:48:53

Eli

G

Lovely name op. I like the brie and breel breels suggestions up thread.

JojoMags Tue 14-May-13 20:00:04

Gib? pn g-i-b not jib

Hyperhelpmum Tue 14-May-13 18:03:47

My Gabriel is baby G, GG bear or Gabriel. Some people have called him Gabs which I hate, Gabe is ok. Great choice OP!

olivertheoctopus Sun 12-May-13 21:58:40

Right I'm freaked out now, I came on here to post a 'Magnus or Gabriel' thread and there are two threads featuring the names! I really like the nn Gabe though so not sure I have anything useful to add!

SE13Mummy Sun 12-May-13 20:39:28

Gabriel Flynn is a lovely name!

FWIW, I have had a Gabriel in my class for the past two years (different classes, inner London primary). One is always Gabriel, the other one calls himself Gabby. No-one tried to shorten Gabriel's name and no-one calls Gabby Gabriel!

I also went to school with a Gabriel - he went by Gabs or Gabby.

mrsXsweet Thu 09-May-13 19:16:55

Are his siblings young? If so, their mispronunciations may produce a nickname e.g. 'Abriel... Abe (as in Abraham).

erchissick Thu 09-May-13 16:44:36

just a thought but why should a nickname be related to a first name anyway? My youngest is named Jack but his nickname at school (to the point that the teacher sometimes uses it too) is Timmy...

Btw, I Love Gabriel as a name.

BabesandJugs Fri 27-May-11 11:47:08

I am also the proud owner of a Gabriel who has just turned 2.

He has a nickname which is nothing like his first name - it was just one of those silly moments as a tiny baby when i called him Gabri-Woo Mr Moo so Mr Moo somehow stuck! And yes when on holiday in Greece when he was 6 months old a lovley German family behind us on the beach were saying 'ahh they call their baby moomoo'

His nn as such is Gabey rather than Gabe!

But in all honesty it is usually Gabriel or Moo ;-)

rubybambini Thu 26-May-11 09:58:22

I have a Swedish friend called Gabriel - his is shortened to Gabbe, pronounced Gah-beh.

freesias Wed 25-May-11 12:48:05

congratulations lovely name good luck and enjoy your lo

Sparklies Wed 25-May-11 00:12:36

Thanks again to everyone! We went to the registry office today and he's now officially "Gabriel Flynn ThXXXXXX"..

.. Or "Gabriel" for short grin

Of course if he wants to be known as anything else like "Gabe" or "Gabby" when he's older it's entirely up to him, but in the meantime we won't be encouraging him!

somewherewest Mon 23-May-11 14:09:53

Yes in Ireland Gabriel is a fairly common name for older men and was traditionally shortened to 'Gay', although this is now dying out for obvious reasons smile The unfortunately name Gay Byrne is indeed a very famous Irish chatshow host.

KittyBigglesworth Sat 21-May-11 18:35:48

I remember the Gay Byrnes (spelling?) Show used to broadcast in the UK in the nineties. He was an Irish journalist/interviewer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now