Nicknames for Gabriel that aren't "Gabe"!

(76 Posts)
Sparklies Fri 13-May-11 15:45:46

Further to my post yesterday:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/baby_names/1213006-Still-stuck-between-two-names-and-now-two-weeks-old-Help?pg=1

Thank you very much everyone for your ideas! I actually added up the "definite Raphael"s and "definite Gabriel"s just as a matter of interest (the online equivalent of tossing a coin maybe) and it was 8 - 8 each. Argh!!

Anyway, given I do like Gabriel, I just have a problem with the nickname "Gabe" - so I said to DH if we can come up with a better nickname, we'll go with Gabriel Flynn.

Obviously when he's older we have a lot less control over who calls him what, but if he has an established nickname when he's younger maybe it'll make the difference. And besides, I don't have to call him "Gabe" unless he demands it of me and if that's the case I'll deal with it as it'll be his wish.

So what other nicknames are there/could we get away with? Somebody suggested Gabe pronounced "Gay-bee" which isn't too bad, but I wondered how realistically we could get away with say "Eli" (and if so, how would it be pronounced?) Would "El-lee" sound too feminine? Or indeed any other variants?

Thanks!! Almost there grin - you've all been great!!

robincousins Fri 13-May-11 18:57:54

i'd also wondered about a but purveyor beat me too it although might cause confususion people thinking he's actually abraham

robincousins Fri 13-May-11 19:00:20

if you go for "G" he may end up as whizz which might be quite sweet especially on a little red head

robincousins Fri 13-May-11 19:01:12

sorry meant to say wondered about abe

everlong Fri 13-May-11 19:01:18

We have a gabriel. That's what he's known as. Don't like gabe or gabey. Sometimes dh calls him gp as his nickname is patrick.

everlong Fri 13-May-11 19:02:10

*middle name is patrick

pinkhebe Fri 13-May-11 19:05:40

Call him Gabriel. We have a Jonathan, we will call him this until he decides to change it (can't do anything about that!) He's 11, and is called Jonathan by his friends still. Names are not always shortened.

Face it, if you call him Gabriel he'll be known as Gabe. There are no other nicknames, at least, none that don't sound contrived.

roundthehouses Fri 13-May-11 19:32:46

Biel is the (very common) catalan nn of this name - pronounced Bee-el. Also Gabi though in english this is maybe a bit feminine?

robincousins Fri 13-May-11 20:00:21

does your surname start with a letter which when paired with g could make a nn as in gp etc

robincousins Fri 13-May-11 20:04:44

sorry a bit of a leap but how about glyn mixing gabriel and flynn

sorry i'm a bit nn obsessed as have been trying to find a nn for dd4 that is not bella

Mousesmummy Fri 13-May-11 20:10:32

Everlong our son is also Gabriel Patrick smile

WaftyCrank Fri 13-May-11 20:14:30

I have a Gabriel, he's 8 weeks old and currently Baby Gabey :D He mostly gets Gabriel though but I also quite like Gabe.

I also have a Joseph and whilst he does occasionally get Joe, I only call him Joseph as does his friends and teachers so I think it's possible to get away with just using the full name.

everlong Fri 13-May-11 20:17:51

mouse Cool! We have good taste smile

gwen not necessarily. My ds never gets Gabe/y. Always Gabriel.

Mousesmummy Fri 13-May-11 20:47:17

everlong - I dont actually like Patrick that much but dh loves it so . . . Our Gabriel gets Gabe sometimes from his sisters.
The whole 'gay' thing doesn't overly bother me - I reckon if kids are going to pick on a child they will always find something - I do find it strange though on these threads how many women love it but won't/can't use it because of their husbands?? What's that all about eh?

iph Fri 13-May-11 20:48:30

Our Gabriel is known as just that to most of his friends/teachers at school, at home he is various Gabriel, Gabe, Gabey, Gabey John, Gibril, Gibley, Jib and Buddy grin

I think possibly if you're having to over think it this much it might be best to go with Raphael (also lovely) or Flynn (don't think it's too similar to Catherine at all).

robincousins Fri 13-May-11 21:26:10

mouse like you the "gay" nn as i think probably of all the nns a name could spawn it's the one that being so politically incorrect would have most teachers clamping down on any use of this nn in a derogatory sense iyswim

dottyaboutstripes Fri 13-May-11 22:27:56

I have a Gabriel (6) and he is ALWAYS Gabriel outside of home. I had thought maybe his friends would call him Gabe/ Gabey but no - always Gabriel.

At home, as others have said....Gabe/Gabes/Gabey/Gabs/Gabby/Gabbywabbywoo/BabyGabeyWabey grin

FWIW I didn't like Gabe either when we chose Gabriel (TOP name, which I just adore) but somehow it happened and I like it now!

Sparklies Sat 14-May-11 00:09:26

Thank you very much everyone - especially reassuring to hear from parents of other Gabriels or people that know them. I do think it's a lovely name. I do love Raphael as well, but as mentioned, I think Gabriel probably just works a little better given his red hair.

Plus calling him "Gabriel" means that DD2 (2) won't have to stray too far from her current lovesick call of "Baaayyybeeee!!11!!11!!" as she just has to substitute a G for the B grin

Lots of good ideas for nicknames, although I am hoping I will just get used to "Gabe" if it becomes necessary! Surname begins with "T" so "GT".. sooo tempting to call him G&T! "Mother's little helper"..!

Anyway the registry office has been booked for 24th May so we still have a bit of time to change our minds and come pester you all again blush but hopefully we won't have to.

Thanks again!!

Cloudydays Sat 14-May-11 20:30:55

Sounds like your mind is made up and Gabriel is a really, really lovely name smile

But, though I understand your concern that Raphael conjures images of little olive-skinned, dark-haired boy, I feel compelled to say that a little red haired Raffy (for short) sounds GORGEOUS.

Blu Sat 14-May-11 20:34:48

Just call him Gabriel. The one I know has no nickname, and no-one calls him Gabe.

Was it on your previous thread that I said that in some areas of Scotland the nn for Gabriel is Gibby? I have very warm and lovely memories of my dh's Uncle Gibby - lovely, lovely man. smile

suzikettles Sat 14-May-11 20:45:20

My friend's ds is called Gabsy by family and Gabber by his friends.

sonniebonnie Sat 14-May-11 21:05:15

You seem to prefer Gabriel - I think you should go for it then. Nice choice imo!

Curlygirly Sat 14-May-11 21:39:33

Our Gabriel is called Gabes. Only one person calls him Gabe and his sister always calls him Gabester.

ManicAnnie Sun 15-May-11 09:12:03

Gabriel is a lovely name.

I know two Gabriels.

One is a teenager and his nickname is 'Gee' (to friends) and 'Breels' at home (this is what his little sister called him as a young child).

The other is 6 yrs old and is only ever known as Gabriel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now