Tristan or Nathaniel?

(39 Posts)
babylily Sat 30-Apr-11 21:56:17

keeping in mind that we live in scotland...my family think that we are setting up a boy for a lifetime of bullying if we name him Tristan!
I imagine a nathaniel to be quite a sensitive little lad, but a tristan to be more boisterous...?

MayBankHoliday Sat 30-Apr-11 22:11:20

They're both great names, I love them both!

Tristan I think of as a bit more of an arty name, Nathaniel more of a classic.

Greenwing Sat 30-Apr-11 22:26:57

Nathaniel is stronger and more classic.

Tristan is a bit 'wet' and weak sounding to my ears, as well as ultra 'posh'.

ooooh hard one, i really like both names

hmmm... do you have middle names yet?

Kyrie Sat 30-Apr-11 22:38:08

I love Tristan, I think of it as a strong name - I think romantic hero as in 'Tristan and Isolde'. Not easy to shorten Tristan either so you wouldn't get lots of nicknames like you would with Nathaniel which would be Nat, Nate etc.

Sirzy Sat 30-Apr-11 22:41:50

Love nathaniel not as keen on Tristan

albania Sat 30-Apr-11 22:43:23

I love them both, but it'd be Nathaniel for me

MelinaM Sat 30-Apr-11 23:59:39

I much prefer Tristansmile Nathaniel is nice, but I absolutely hate the shortened Nathan, Nath etc...

evamummy Sun 01-May-11 10:05:52

Tristan is too close to Triste (sad) for me, I'm afraid.

How do you pronounce Nathaniel, like Nathan with -iel at the end?

ragged Sun 01-May-11 10:18:51

Nuh-than-yul, "than" rhymes with flan, no? I'd use Nat as nn.
Both names I quite like too. DS2 is Tristan, not at all arty, quite boisterous but a big cry-baby, too.

babylily Sun 01-May-11 12:01:59

Think would have to be:
Nathaniel Tristan...or
Tristan Nathaniel...

Nathaniel would be shortened to Nat by english relatives (in our part of scotland at least they don't seem to go for nicknames...). I always think of Puritans when I think of Nathaniel though (just because of Hawthorne and the Scarlett Letter)
DH's family are cornish, so we like the celtic/cornish connections of the Tristan & isolde story....

If I could just see what he will look like in 5 years time it would be much easier!

Collision Sun 01-May-11 12:04:26

Sorry but I do not like either

Tristan is awful - imvho one of the worst boy names ever!

Nathaniel is OK but only cos I like Nat as a nickname (which you might hate!)

ragged Sun 01-May-11 12:21:08

What other names do you think are the worst ever, Collision, and which are the best ever?

megbess Sun 01-May-11 16:23:20

Love tristan don't like nathaniel.

Collision Sun 01-May-11 16:55:50

Sorry that was a bit harsh OP. But if you live in Scotland and he is going to get teased then you might want to think about that!

Ragged Sorry. blush I have loads! If the OP had said she had called her son Tristan then I would not have commented but as it was between 2 names I think it was OK to say how much I disliked it!

I think when you have known people you dont like then it puts you off them.

Thinks......

Vanessa
Denise
Tristan
Cameron
Gareth

But we are all different and some would not like my boys' names but I do and that is all that matters.

Sorry if I offended.

evamummy Sun 01-May-11 17:47:11

I assume the OP is interested in HONEST opinions and that is what people are giving. No need to get defensive imo.

Maternelle Sun 01-May-11 17:53:21

Love Tristan. Dislike Nathaniel.

captainbarnacle Sun 01-May-11 18:17:49

I have a Nathaniel - he is called that but sometimes Nat. He's quite boisterous and extrovert and his the only Nathaniel around us at the moment!

NadiaWadia Sun 01-May-11 18:55:45

Nathaniel is a good name and fairly unusual and Nate is a nice diminutive as well.

Tristan has a wuss-y sort of vibe to many people, although the sound of it is nice.

ragged Sun 01-May-11 19:07:15

Am not offended, Collision, you're not the first to say something like that about Tristan. I honestly wondered what other names you thought were awful & why, what was it about Tristan that would make you want to puke. Tristan just seems too... innocuous to me. But maybe too English for living in Scotland, too. It could be that you & I quite like other names.

The only adult Tristan whom I have known personally was a nice funny cute guy, chemist who blew things up for fun. My Tristan is likely to have a Rugby build when he grows up, but with a soft cuddly teddy bear's heart.

There are no names I balk at only because I have known unpleasant specimens... in terms of "awful" names I usually only really stomach clench at names that sound purely ugly to me, and I just cannot understand why people would choose that over other nicer choices.

Maybeitsbecause Sun 01-May-11 20:26:40

Nathaniel is strong and classy.

Tristan is awfully wet.

Collision Sun 01-May-11 20:57:39

I usually hate K names too.

Kyle
Keiron
Kade

and

Brendon
Bradley
Jayden
Kaiden

type names.

Am actually very opinionated about names!

Love

Max
Theo
Rufus
Zac
Finn
Josh
Jake

and

Annabel
Sophia
Romilly
Adeleide
Clementine
Bea

but do not like

Ruth
Helen
Hope
and very old lady names such as Ada or Ethel or Mabel.

Kerri1983 Sun 01-May-11 22:05:16

I have a Nathaniel, I really love his name although he does get Nathan from time to time which I don't like much.

We shorten his name to Natey, this is probably a scouse thing though and I am sure he will grow out of it to become Nate.

His surname is Johnson so I would imagine he will get Johno at school as did his dad and other relatives.

babylily Mon 02-May-11 13:51:53

As I expected...truly divided opinions on Tristan grin.
I guess naming really does come down to personal taste - I have worked with under 5's and have known little boys of almost every name and spelling, but never a Tristan or a Nathaniel.
I kinda like the silence that follows when I tell people that we like Tristan for a boy (followed remarkably often by a suggestion of 'Riley,' 'Rory' or 'Lewis')

4 months left to decide, and I expect what it will come down to is how we feel on the day - if he looks like a Nathaniel or a Tristan. (Like the sound of Natey tho, kerri1983).

ragged Mon 02-May-11 14:20:28

haha.... Collision. In the spirit of "You can dish it but can you take it?" I have to say that all of your boy faves are ideal names... for a Dog smile.

Collision Mon 02-May-11 14:29:35

haha! True! Both my boys' names are in there too! wink

No girls here.

rac123 Mon 02-May-11 18:46:29

Like them both - it helps that I know a Tristan who is sounsd and called Tris to all thosw who know him.
Try not to get too caught on the 'negatives' as it would not do for us all to name kids the same thing and you would get feedback from all names - from David - Daffyd!

Giselle99 Mon 02-May-11 19:43:20

Tristan has always been a neither-here-nor-there name for me, but I was surprised to read a survey that had it as the 8th or 9th worst name for boys. Top of the list were the usual suspects (Jaden, Kayden, Brayden) and there was Michael (?) and Jackson on it too.

Nathaniel is another so-so name for me - as long as it isn't shortened.

TheVisitor Mon 02-May-11 19:49:33

I have a Nathaniel, shortened to Natty mostly, but as he's getting older, he's starting to prefer Nat. He's a bit of a monkey, cheeky smile and incredibly cuddly.

mbbh Mon 19-Nov-12 21:55:55

I do not like tristan personally go with Nathaniel

Lebkuchenlover Tue 20-Nov-12 10:08:09

What is teaseworthy about Tristan confused? The only thing that would put me off is the sad part (triste). How about Quentin, Sebastian or Caspian?

I like the sound of Nathaniel but wouldn't it inevitably shortened? Not a fan of Nat, Nate or Natty, sorry.

Nathaniel gets my vote - but it's a biased vote! wink

I love tristan as I have one smile but be warned it means noisy and is very accurate imo.

badtime Tue 20-Nov-12 12:07:19

I think the OP will have made her decision by now - this is a zombie thread.

well spotted mbbh how did you come across this/

Fifi2406 Tue 20-Nov-12 14:13:52

Nathaniel!!!!!!! Always been a favourite

Fifi2406 Tue 20-Nov-12 14:15:02

Totally didn't notice the date on this!

BellaTheGymnast Tue 20-Nov-12 17:47:39

Yes, Tristan is a chinless wonder for me too. I love Nate though.

mumtolilh Sun 28-Apr-13 17:43:04

Nathaniel all the way tristan is a terrible name (sorry!)
& it's on the most hated list
It sounds kind of 'made up' to me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now