I need 2 names for a feisty girl!

(80 Posts)
misfitmum Tue 15-Mar-11 15:11:59

Hi, I'm 28 weeks pregnant and just found out we're having a girl and would really like a name that is strong and feisty - she never stops moving and trying to kick her way out of my tummy and has already caused a few dramas

I would like a first and middle name that are quite feisty...nothing too traditional or too popular.

TIA

Fayrazzled Tue 15-Mar-11 15:17:08

Georgina?
Jessica?
Abigail?
Sarah?

PepsiPopcorn Tue 15-Mar-11 15:26:10

Harriet/Hattie
Jade
Catriona
Liza
Stella
Beatrice
Delilah
Xanthe
Francesca
Juliet
Natalie

FattyArbuckel Tue 15-Mar-11 15:31:17

Scarlett
mathilda
Onyx
carlotta

ChrissyHynde Tue 15-Mar-11 15:37:39

Macy

Underachieving Tue 15-Mar-11 15:38:44

Freya gets refered to as a girly name on here but if you read th mythology Freya was one kick ass feminist hero. She was beautiful, strong, principled and fair but she stood for no rubbish from her brothers/other Gods at all. The Vikings only had 2 major goddesses, Frigg was the goddess of hearth and home, Freya got all the good stuff, love, sex, fertility, and pick of the dead heroes to live in her hall (the Viking afterlife). A feisty one with a different but not odd name has to be a Freya every time!

lovecorrie Tue 15-Mar-11 15:40:09

Frigg grin
Sorry very childish....

yousankmybattleship Tue 15-Mar-11 15:41:58

How about Nancy - as in These Boots Were Made for Walking!

Bettyspencer Tue 15-Mar-11 15:50:43

Alexis

MrsvWoolf Tue 15-Mar-11 16:02:55

Boudicca, Gertrude

Or one of the 'hild' names.

myredcardigan Tue 15-Mar-11 16:08:41

I know Elizabeth is quite traditional but we call our Elizabeth, Lizzie and she is very, very feisty.

In fact, the 2 other Lizzies we know are just the same. smile

I always think of Kate as quite a feisty girls' name.

Jezebel
Scarlet
George(ie / ina)
Lola
Anoushka

FoofffyShmoofffer Tue 15-Mar-11 16:14:56

Buggerlugs or Sodpot.smile(Sorry very Northern)

Love Matilda or Lola. Fiesty soundin' names to me.

Fayrazzled Tue 15-Mar-11 16:25:54

Josephine/ josie
Meredith
Rachel
Henrietta
Susannah/ Susie
Joanna

Miranda
Kate
Harriet

IslaValargeone Tue 15-Mar-11 16:32:02

Rudy
It means wolf, and it's wild and feisty.

I third Harriet nn Hattie. I have one and feisty is certainly one way of describing her!

IslaValargeone Tue 15-Mar-11 16:50:54

Is it just me who is a bit hmm at what people think are feisty names? I mean...Sarah come on.

myredcardigan Tue 15-Mar-11 16:52:44

I didn't suggest Sarah but I do think it's quite a strong name.

IslaValargeone Tue 15-Mar-11 16:56:33

Really? my judgement is obviously clouded by only knowing Sarahs who are wishy washy.

My Matilda is feisty. My Scarlett isn't. I think Stella is a strong feisty name

myredcardigan Tue 15-Mar-11 17:05:04

I think that's the thing. It really depends with whom you associate the name.

cowboylover Tue 15-Mar-11 17:06:10

I am with you on Sarah IslaValargeone!

I have an ex GF called Harriet and she was a very feisty lady! But then my perception of the name just comes from her?

Maybe what ever you want to call her and she turns out to be as fiesty as you expect someone will be saying in a few years I was at school with a 'misfitmum jr' and she was fab and really feisty!

I bet some of my team from work say they know a cowboylover and shes is real fussy cow! smile

greentig3r Tue 15-Mar-11 17:11:52

Judith?

Annie, as in Oakley

Some ideas here?

Asinine Tue 15-Mar-11 17:14:11

Megan
Xanthe
Rona
Roseanna

MrsJohnDeere Tue 15-Mar-11 17:14:28

Violet

BalloonSlayer Tue 15-Mar-11 17:14:40

You don't know she's going to be Feisty.

(My Mum used to snigger about a man at her work called Garth. We used to get the Daily Mirror at the time and Garth was the eponymous hero of a comic strip, with incredible muscles and heroism etc. The one she worked with was about seven stone dripping wet. But perhaps he kicked a lot in the womb.)

Loving Freya!!

But agree with BalloonSlayer - you don't know she is going to be Feisty!!

My pregancy with Ds was quite eventful - he caused some scares along the way. He also never stopped kicking, sat the wrong way, caused me all sorts of grief. Labour with him was a nightmare. He was upside down and back to front and determined not go come out.

He is the most placid laid back boy you could wish to meet.

By contrast, pregnancy and birth with Dd were so easy. She kicked but not excessively. Not a worry, everything lovely, a relatively fast and very straightforward labour.

She is one stroppy, headstrong and forceful little madam!

IslaValargeone Tue 15-Mar-11 17:26:57

Well of course she doesn't know she's going to be feisty, but it's as good a reason as any other random name choosing method. Don't piddle on her bonfire ladies.

FoofffyShmoofffer Tue 15-Mar-11 17:34:35

My DD wriggled and kicked and punched har way through my pregnancy. I would wake up not knowing whether the bump would be front or back!

Now 2.6 she IS downright fiesty.

BalloonSlayer Tue 15-Mar-11 17:35:24

You are quite right, Isla. Sorry, OP.

TBH if she isn't feisty and has a "feisty" name she'll be OK anyway.

For girls it's more a problem if they're called Pixie and grow up to be 6'2" with size 10 feet.

I was at school with a prominently unattractive girl* who had a beautiful, romantic, incredibly unusual Christian name, the sort that a Disney heroine would have. (This was 35 years ago when most schoolgirls were called Susan and Pauline and the most beautiful girl in our school was called Janice.) I felt quite sorry for her. She shortened it to something plain. Hopefully she blossomed later.

*Sorry, but she was. As was I, but I didn't have a glamorous name.

MamaVoo Tue 15-Mar-11 17:38:10

Tess

IslaValargeone Tue 15-Mar-11 17:42:01

That's the thing BalloonSlayer, there has to be an element of hope and wishful thinking in name choosing, so that kids can have something to aspire to, although I can't argue with your point about Pixie.
But call your kid Susan, meh....... wink

Janoschi Tue 15-Mar-11 18:07:47

We're looking at similar feisty names for our soon-to-be-born DD. As with the OP's baby, ours has kicked and punched her way through the past weeks causing no end of emergency scans and drama.

The names we've considered are:

Henrietta (Henry for short)
Truda (Trudy for short)
Peterina (Pete for short)
Samuela (Sammy for short)
Rita
Sonia
Carlotta (Charlie for short)
Tippi
Judy
Margo / Peggy
Nancy

No idea if this helps you! We're still floating around from one idea to the next and we've only got 8 weeks left....

fluffygal Tue 15-Mar-11 18:24:18

Zanna.

thinkingkindly Tue 15-Mar-11 18:33:38

Morgan
Zara
Alex (Alexandra)
Carlotta
Ruth
Erin
Zoe
Bea (Beatrice)
Gretchen
Gwen

COCKadoodledooo Tue 15-Mar-11 18:38:36

"IslaValargeone Tue 15-Mar-11 16:56:33

Really? my judgement is obviously clouded by only knowing Sarahs who are wishy washy."

Do I know you then? wink

My contribution to the list is Deborah.

COCKadoodledooo Tue 15-Mar-11 18:39:55

Janoschi Samuela and Peterina both sound like 'we wanted a boy' to me!

DesertOrchid Tue 15-Mar-11 18:43:45

Nancy, definitely! Also Natasha, Kerry, Edith.

lockets Tue 15-Mar-11 18:53:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mathanxiety Tue 15-Mar-11 20:51:16

Calista
Theodosia
Aphra
Zipporah
Cleo
Greta
Frida
Zelda

growing3rdbump Tue 15-Mar-11 20:52:19

We have a feisty Nyah. This time we're hoping for a more gentile daughter, so thinking if naming her Esme!!! Other names I like are Naomi and Sasha.

mathanxiety Tue 15-Mar-11 20:56:33

Audrey
Eliza
Paloma
Philippa

mollycuddles Tue 15-Mar-11 20:59:29

My Kirsty is pretty feisty. And k is a good hard sound that goes against wishy washy ness

Bubbaluv Tue 15-Mar-11 21:01:43

Ramona - thinking Ramona Quimby books which are brilliant.
Clara.

PepsiPopcorn Tue 15-Mar-11 21:05:56

Any inspiration from strong women through history, women writers, influential women of the present day?

Emmeline Pankhurst
Rosa Parks
Florence Nightingale
Mary Wollstonecraft
Cleopatra
Queen Victoria
Indira Ghandi
Joan of Arc
Marie Curie
Naomi Wolf
Christina Rossetti

Underachieving Tue 15-Mar-11 21:06:08

Sarah isn't a feisty name, it's another from mythology (the Bible if you want to get technical) in the stories Sarah's role is pretty much to be miserable for longer than we would even consider to be a lifespan today (during which time she was called Sarai) and then for the God to cause her to have a son, who her husband (hearing voices at the time) then almost murdered on the say so of a burning bush. Not wishing to offend the Christians who of course believe this mythology, but to th rest of us it's a story and not an especially good one.

WinkyWinkola Tue 15-Mar-11 21:07:20

Tabitha

Zara

Alexandra

Philippa

Clementine

Underachieving Tue 15-Mar-11 21:12:59

Nancy is good (think Astor) and another one from mythology is Dianna or Artemis (basically the same character in geographically neighbouring mythologies) who was an hunter but also cultured and sophisticated and generally let men get on with it and lived her own life.

Imps7 Tue 15-Mar-11 21:13:09

I like your name-choosing method! It will be a nice story for your DD when she's bigger! My mum and dad names me after the road that the gasworks was on - not very inspiring really!

What about the following:

Zillah
Saskia
Esther
Neve

?

Sorry, not much help really.

Good luck - hope you find something you love!

Imps7 Tue 15-Mar-11 21:15:25

Ooooh Ramona is a great name! It's the name of the girl who plays Karen in Outnumbered - if she's not a feisty little one I don't know who is!

StayFrosty Tue 15-Mar-11 21:16:05

Matilda is a good feisty name, it means 'battle maiden' grin. Veronica means 'bringer of victory' - also quite feisty imo. I agree with the poster who said ramona too, that is a great name. Eleanor of aquitaine was one feisty mama, and i love the nn nell for eleanor, very no nonsense. If you have a stomach burster, you could do worse than name her ellen after ellen ripley grin. Lilith was the name of adam's first wife who got binned for being too feisty, so there's a thought.

As for sarah being feisty, think sarah connor rather than sarah maclachlan if you're that way inclined.

misfitmum Tue 15-Mar-11 21:29:48

grin @ Imps7 re the Gasworks!!

Thanks everybody for your inspiring contributions!! I didn't think I'd get so many replies

Oooh I really love some of your suggestions...particularly Saskia, Sasha, Natasha, Lola, Zara, Neve and Nancy...does anybody have any suggestions of middle names that go with these?

We have a DS with an Irish first name similar to 'Keegan' (don't want to out myself wink ) and middle name similar to 'Ty' who is actually pretty laid back but at the same time very strong willed if that makes sense? was also active in the pregnancy, but not nearly as dramatic as this one/causing as many problems! Haha!

CharlieBoo Tue 15-Mar-11 21:30:44

Erin
Scarlett
Ruby
Maxine
Claudia
Verity
Charity
Anne

Artichokes Tue 15-Mar-11 21:40:36

Nina
Hester
Maggie

Artichokes Tue 15-Mar-11 21:44:11

Scout
Piper

Rhubarbgarden Tue 15-Mar-11 22:42:48

Zena
Nadia
Astrid

lockets Tue 15-Mar-11 22:44:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

brightcopperkettles Wed 16-Mar-11 02:12:07

We have a Sasha Isobel

startail Wed 16-Mar-11 02:22:50

Caitlin
DD2 is a very feisty madam, but her time is very traditional (The above is one of her partners in crime)

startail Wed 16-Mar-11 02:23:47

Time confused I ment name -bed time!

thumbwitch Wed 16-Mar-11 02:31:06

Athene - warrior goddess of the Greeks.

This webpage has probably been already linked to but I haven't clicked on any of the links to check - a list of girls' names that mean "warrior"

Underachieving Wed 16-Mar-11 02:50:40

How about Nancy Caitlyn? Every Caitlyn I know is feisty come to think of it.

misfitmum Wed 16-Mar-11 08:20:09

Lovely names!!

And thanks thumbwitch - i like some of those very much, especially luise/luisa ~(my grandmother's name, she is 83 and i'd love to honour her!!) also lula and lulu (the pet name versions) as middle names

IslaValargeone Wed 16-Mar-11 08:46:13

You see, I rest my case. Only someone called Sarah could suggest the name Deborah as feisty wink

PepsiPopcorn Wed 16-Mar-11 08:56:29

Deborah the Prophetess

"Deborah, in the Bible, prophetess and judge of Israel, the only woman to hold that office. Under her guidance Barak conquered Sisera and delivered Israel from the oppression of the Canaanite King Yavin. Deborah served as Israel's Judge when no men were willing to lead."

IslaValargeone Wed 16-Mar-11 09:18:29

No one likes a smart arse wink

PepsiPopcorn Wed 16-Mar-11 10:12:18

expectingno3 Wed 16-Mar-11 18:54:35

Something firey like Carmen, Scarlett, Magenta?!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 16-Mar-11 19:12:55

Isla I think you need to get some seriously feisty women in your life! My bf is Sarah, initially there was only one reason I made friends with her, we worked together and I realised pretty quickly that you would have to be a fool to have her as an enemy, I definitely wanted her on my side grin

And as for my friend Deborah, well you can argue with her if you like, I'll be the one standing well back and laughing.

Lyra (if you've read The Amber Spyglass you'll know just how much girlpower that Lyra had)

Emelene Wed 16-Mar-11 19:55:22

I instantly thought of the Irish name Saoirse (pronounced Seer-sha) because it means freedom. Sounds pretty fiesty to me.

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Wed 16-Mar-11 20:08:12

I have a Nancy and she was very nearly a Saskia but DH wasn't keen.

She's very spirited and lots of fun and she's 4. Her full name's Nancy Madeleine Pearl. If she could pick her middle name, I think it would be 'Rapunzel' grin.

misfitmum Thu 17-Mar-11 14:33:42

Ooh Carmen is great ) and so is Lyra thnx!!!

TheGreatStupendo Thu 17-Mar-11 14:55:22

Hero

Yeah Carmen IS great actually. Also Cleo and Cléa (Lawrence Durrell's Alexandria Quartet - haven't read them though so she might have been a wet hen.)

spidookly Thu 17-Mar-11 19:21:02

Saoirse is feisty in the way that Gerry Adams is feisty.

UrsulaBuffay Thu 17-Mar-11 20:31:03

My kicker is a Phoebe & suits it down to the ground

LaydeeC Thu 17-Mar-11 21:47:20

Ursula is, imo, a feisty strong name. Think it means little bear.
'tis my sister's name and she is certainly one feisty madam

ValiumSingleton Thu 17-Mar-11 21:52:23

Lois

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now