Scottish boy's name suggestions please

(68 Posts)

My granny was from Shetland and has passed away now. She was very proud of her Shetland heritage and so is my mum. I'd like to give my eagerly anticipated son a Scottish middle name to honour his (rather diluted now!)background.

The first name we've chosen is Nathaniel and our last name starts with P. I asked my mum for family names and none of them were suitable.

I quite like Hamish.

Suggestions please, especially from Scottish ladies who know that the names are Scotch and not just 'Celtic'

Thanks a lot xx

JamInMyWellies Wed 23-Feb-11 14:32:15

Lachlan or Archie

Fraser
Donald
Douglas
Dougal
Alistair
Angus

Love Nathaniel btw.

Interestingly enough, my great grandfather was called Archibald (Archie) but my friend said everyone would think of a cockney rapist ('Enders) and it put me off! I know, I know, hormones and that...!
Do still like it though..

scurryfunge Wed 23-Feb-11 14:36:05

I have an Angus.

Shuard is a Shetland name so is Turval.

peeriebear Wed 23-Feb-11 14:37:35

My paternal family are from Shetland (hence my name!) and half the islands are called John. In the small amount of extended family I met while visiting there was John, Baby John, John L and John David. And our old surname was Fraser before it was married out to another Scottish name (which again half the islands seem to have!)

Shuard- does that have a meaning? Is it pronounced Shoo-ard?

Thanks for the nathaniel appreciation norman !

Some lovely suggestions here - thanks. I don't trust internet searches - I want a real Scottish name and some of them don't ring true.

My Gran's brothers were called William, Shane, Andrew and David which aren't really that different.

magentastardust Wed 23-Feb-11 14:41:52

Finlay
Innes
Cameron
Callum
Callan
Angus
Alistair
Eoghain or Ewan
Ruiraidh (pronounced Roor-y)
Kyle
Mungo
Ross

scurryfunge Wed 23-Feb-11 14:46:04

I don't know the meaning but it sounds like it might derive from Stuart. You are right in not trusting googling -as a surname it comes up as an English surname meaning someone who lives in the gap between the hills grin

peeriebear I even went on the Shetland family history site in search and you're right! half of them called John! Do you know what, we're probably related! wink

peeriebear Wed 23-Feb-11 14:57:15

Quite probably ItsMe! My great granny was a full blooded Shetlander and I could barely understand her till the day she died, even though she'd lived in England since WWII We still have a fair crop of blood relations up there, including my grandparents who retired up there and my auntie who moved up to help them out. Can't think of any boys names to help you out though!

My Gran moved in WWII - to Wales, never left. Lived opposite me all her life and I miss her. I've still got family there and Annabelle is the 'family' girls' name. Boys are really hard though. How funny. Can I just pretend that I found a long distant relative on mumsnet?! grin It's only a tiny island and I'd like to go and visit. I reckon i could get away with Norweigian names as well - Granny was blonde and had blue eyes, clearly Viking stock!

peeriebear Wed 23-Feb-11 17:26:29

My great aunt traced our family tree for my grandad (John!)'s 60th birthday and we are descended from Viking settlers
Oh I hope you do go and visit, once you get to Aberdeen the ferry is very cheap if you're a foot passenger, and not too much more if you take a car. I would move there in a second if we could, it's so peaceful and friendly- and the shops are good too

fridayschild Wed 23-Feb-11 17:30:23

Do you have any surnames in the family you could use as a middle name? That is also an honourable Scottish tradition.

Duncan

I love Hamish (but DH wouldn't have it). Also think Duncan, Douglas, Fraser and Lachlan are lovely (we've got a Lachlan and DD2 was going to be Fraser except she's a she!)

Highlandgirl Wed 23-Feb-11 17:43:09

I love love love the name Hamish...but DH (English) is having none of it...bugger him and our hugely English surname.

You may find this link useful...smile not as Scottish you my think...!!!
www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/statistics/theme/vital-eve nts/births/popular-names/2010/detailed-tables.html

I love Lachlan
Lewis
Fraser
Donald
Douglas
Dougal
Alistair
Angus
Bruce
Struan
Duncan
Ramsay
Kerr / Keir

Also don't forget about last names..i.e Wallace, Murray, Crawford, Gordon, Hunter, Campbell, Ross, Mackenzie..I went to School with loads of boys who's first names can also in Scotland be used as surnames...saying that the above list also falls into that bracket.

softpaw Wed 23-Feb-11 17:55:05

scot is an overlooked name these days,and don't forget david

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Wed 23-Feb-11 18:01:19

My Uncle is Scottish - and was given his mother's maiden name as his first name.

I love Hamish - it's DS's mn and we also have an Angus.

When I was looking for names on here I had some great suggestions - trying to remember them.

There was definitely Lachlan, Lorcan, Innes, Fraser.

Someone even suggested Murdo - but DH didn't like it.

I don't know if they are very Shetland though.

irishqueen Wed 23-Feb-11 18:16:14

Campbell ... love it

fifi25 Wed 23-Feb-11 18:53:36

murdos probably short for murdoch i think. Kids grandads from Ayrshire and thats what hes called. Everyone calls him Doc.

fridayschild Wed 23-Feb-11 19:00:47

We have a Scottish someone at work who is actually called Murdo, short for, erm, nothing at all. Murdo is his given name.

pointydog Wed 23-Feb-11 19:06:05

Murdo is usually a name in its own right.

ratspeaker Wed 23-Feb-11 19:07:58

Magnus?

Bideyin Wed 23-Feb-11 20:03:06

I have a Hamish And I like Lachlan and Duncan.

Not sure that Shetlanders really consider themselves to be Scottish tho'?

ellangirl Wed 23-Feb-11 20:34:23

Torin? It's an anglicised version of Thorfinn, which is the Norse name of several rulers of orkney/shetland. In my Scottish family there have been Angus, Donald, Andrew, Alistair and Fraser.

MavisEnderby Wed 23-Feb-11 20:36:57

Ross
Finlay
Rowan
Donald
Struan
(just seen last post and am really liking Torin but I thought it was irish)

ellangirl Wed 23-Feb-11 20:50:20

Well, it's a Norse name, and those vikings did get all over the place!

eatyourveg Wed 23-Feb-11 20:51:26

Hamish is fab - stick with that

TorianaTollywobbles Wed 23-Feb-11 20:53:44

How about Logan?

Think it is Scottish confused

KateF Wed 23-Feb-11 20:55:56

Friend of mine has Scottish heritage and her boys are Callum and Eachan (Gaelic form of Hector I think).

weegiemum Wed 23-Feb-11 21:01:54

With a Shetland heritage I don't know if you would want to go Gaelic but some ideas for Gaelic names:

Aonghas (Angus)
Tormond (Norman)
Domhnall (Donald)
Uisdean (Hugh)
Uilleam (William)

Newgolddream Wed 23-Feb-11 22:54:41

Im Scottish and have 3 boys although not sure theyre Scottish names lol grin 2 are I think - Connor and Finlay.

AlpinePony Thu 24-Feb-11 06:57:50

I lived in Shetland for a while - what about using a traditionally "Zetland" surname? Particularly if you know which island or area she was from? Interesting link here: www.britishsurnames.co.uk/1881census/Zetland+(Shet land) - I knew an awful lot of Andersons and Campbells back then.

AlpinePony Thu 24-Feb-11 06:59:19

(not in 1881 I might add blush)

FalachFead Thu 24-Feb-11 08:48:22

Magnus and Torquil are the 2 Scottish/Norse names that Iove..

Thanks for all the suggestions and links!
Have come across the fact that the most popular surname on Shetland during my Gran's lifetime there was Smith! Brilliant! Her name was Hutchinson.
Was discussing this with DH last night- definately given us lots of food for thought. Thank you all very much xx
It made me think though, if my Gran was stil here and I asked her for a suggestion then she'd probably pick Elvis!! grin

daimbardiva Tue 08-Mar-11 11:15:05

I love Torin - would be very fitting for you I think. I really want to use Hamish - but dh is having none of it.

PricklyThistle Tue 08-Mar-11 21:51:50

To reflect Shetland roots, you shouldn't really be looking at a Gaelic name smile. Shetland was Scandinavian then Scottish - with no Gaelic influence.
The names in the Northern Isles (Orkney and Shetland) were pretty 'normal' old fashioned names -William, James, John etc. Norse names are now used - I know some of Orcadians with the name Thorfinn, Sigurd, Erland, Erik.

dancemum Tue 08-Mar-11 22:48:04

names I like are

Cameron, Campbell, Alasdair, Blane, Finlan, Finlay, Stirling, Lachlan, Melrose, Conneach (Con-Nick), Connall, Finnean, Oisian (Osh-An), Taran or Torin

The Zetland names are cool! Smith is a great first name, I think, esp. with a family connection. Smith Lachlan or Smith Finnean sound great.

From that list, Sinclair and Tait are good names.

BackwardsInHighHeels Wed 09-Mar-11 08:54:44

Don't know if you've found this by yourself already, but there's a list of Shetland names here:

www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/shetland/index.html

Which includes some funny spellings of names we're more used to, including some which I don't think have been suggested yet, like Gregor and Malcolm (though Malcolm can be shortened to Malky, which is Glaswegian for headbutt - as in, giving someone "the Malky", but if you're not in the West of Scotland, you're probably okay ).

jellybeans Wed 09-Mar-11 09:10:58

Ross, Lachlan

Asinine Wed 09-Mar-11 09:16:17

I was going to say Douglas or Cameron, I see they have already come up. A lovely man I knew who was a Shetlander died last year was a douglas.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! I really appreciate the effort you've gone through to help me! Thanks particularly for the links - many a nosey hour spent trawling through that lot looking for my family. I found some sites with old photos on too and it was nice to imagine my Gran living there, walking around the island etc.

I do feel I have to point out though that I did say I'm avoiding 'Celtic' as found in internet searches as they can be irish and the whole point is that I want something Scottish / Sheltand for my Gran.

Thanks again! xx

muminthesun Wed 09-Mar-11 14:22:23

Love Magnus

TheMadHouse1234 Wed 09-Mar-11 14:29:03

I want to give my baby a Scottish name too. Don't know if we're having a boy or girl yet, but boys names we've got on our list are

Lachlan
Struan
Fraser
Hamish

louisianablue2000 Mon 11-Mar-13 22:38:15

If you want something to reflect the fact that your Granny came from Shetland then DON'T use anything Gaelic. I'm from Orkney, the most popular Norse names there are Magnus, Thorfinn, Sigurd, Rognavald, Harald, Erik, Erland, Olaf. Otherwise just standard names, common in Scotland and England.

The other option is to use your Granny's surname as a middle name, that is very common in Scotland (to use a maternal surname as a middle name) and is why so many surnames end up as first names, they move across because of being used as middle names.

pinkandyellowbutterfly Mon 11-Mar-13 22:41:07

Rory - Scottish red King
Andrew - Patron Saint of Scotland

WinkyWinkola Mon 11-Mar-13 22:41:38

Torran

DuPainDuVinDuFromage Wed 13-Mar-13 10:22:53

I love Hamish and Archie, but also Hector and Seoras, which I don't think have been mentioned. But as people have said, maybe it's better to go down the Scandinavian route given that your connection is with Shetland.

I'd be tempted to get a decent map of he Isles and pick a suitable place name. My gran on my mums sides family came from that area though maybe it was Orkney and not shetland confused i'd need to go look it up again - Family names are Inkster, Marwick and Stark I think.

I think St Olaf is associated with shetland too.

Or you could go for something just normally scottish - a lot of Good suggestions so far. could also add Craig. Cairn and has Andrew been said?

Actually, Lerwick makes a not too bad name itself

Nathaniel Lerwick P..

mungotracy Wed 13-Mar-13 13:42:07

Alick

MorrisZapp Wed 13-Mar-13 13:44:05

Murray! (I have one).

Ian/ Iain is very user friendly too.

2littlemonkeysjumping Wed 13-Mar-13 13:57:53

I have a scrumptious little Ewan who is 1/2 Scottish... We spelt it the anglicised way as thought would be easier and more readily pronounceable in England! (Euan being more of a Scottish spelling I think)

I have an Archie, my Dad is Alistair, my Grandfather Douglas and two old 'loves' called Hamish & Magnus!

I think Magnus is my favourite, but solely because of name assocation - he was gorgeous!!

freerangeeggs Wed 13-Mar-13 22:17:25

My favourite Shetland name is Thorfinn.

williaminajetfighter Wed 13-Mar-13 23:22:09

Monroe!

Monroe! - as in Marilyn?

if you mean the hill, it's Munro grin

LineRunner Wed 13-Mar-13 23:34:43

Scott
Keir
Lindsay

BabyRoger Wed 13-Mar-13 23:36:44

As others have said, it's traditional in Scotland to give the baby the mother's maiden name as a middle name. My DS has my maiden name as his middle name.

You could use your granny's name as a middle name.

williaminajetfighter Fri 15-Mar-13 22:17:15

Sorry yes I meant Munro. Twas late when I posted.

ZaaZaaLabour Sat 16-Mar-13 02:31:50

Tait, Gray, Arcus.

expatinscotland Sat 16-Mar-13 02:38:24

Struan, I suggest Struan grin.

MostlyCake Fri 22-Mar-13 08:39:56

I grew up in Orkney - lots of Scandinavian names there like:

Sigurd
Thorfinn
Erland
Magnus

Shetland is even more Norse!

Mosman Fri 22-Mar-13 12:29:18

Alan
Alec
Craig

dancemom Fri 22-Mar-13 12:33:10

Seamus?

SnowLeopard27 Mon 25-Mar-13 11:42:11

Rory

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now