Worst spelling of perfectly ordinary names? Elyviya anyone?

(667 Posts)
backonthedecaff Mon 21-Feb-11 22:35:26

I have met a Danyal, Daniol, Naiphthan, Caytie and an Alivia. Why do people consign their children to a life time of 'no, that's Daniel spelt...'? Any equally terrible ones out there?

4madboys Tue 22-Feb-11 14:48:50

i know a FeeBee!! why, just why?!!

however my new dd is called Merryn, i get 'mary, marion, miriam' when i say/write the name... are people just deaf or dense?

This is why DH and I stared at DD's birth certificate for a good ten mins before we let the registrar take it away. I mean, you wouldn't do it on purpose, but what if you'd been up all night with the baby and accidently tagged a third e on the end of her name? shock

(thinking this can be the only possible excuse for Bayleeeee!"

Panzee Tue 22-Feb-11 14:49:35

Oh it says Olivia! Jeepers.

ellliebelle Tue 22-Feb-11 14:50:35

DD is Eleanor we went to get a Christmas decoration personalized for her and the women wrote Ella-Nor on the decoration i couldn't help but laugh

Karman (Carmen) hmm

AlmightyCitrus Tue 22-Feb-11 14:56:38

Emmer-leigh. hmm

MrsHarry Tue 22-Feb-11 14:58:39

Not a weird spelling but a friend of a friend of mine has a daughter she always calls Relly, which I did think was an odd name. I'd known her several weeks before I found out her real name is Aurelia!!

Why, why would you give your daughter a beautiful name like that then shorten it to something so...well...not quite so beautiful!

TobyLerone Tue 22-Feb-11 15:00:08

My daughter's name is Esme. The number of people who cannot spell or pronounce it astonishes me.

comtessa Tue 22-Feb-11 15:00:13

Pheonix. Spelt that way. D'you think his parents were really into the Peter Kay comedy series?

Fimbo Tue 22-Feb-11 15:02:29

These are the crackers I know of:-

Chellea
Ju-Leigh
Joolia
Mayzee

Lilyarna.

strandednomore Tue 22-Feb-11 15:06:09

I lived in the Caribbean for a while and strange spellings of names like these was pretty normal, I actually think it's because many women are illiterate so just say it phonetically for the registrar.

My favourite was Posher on the badge of a check-out girl. I had to ask her - apparently it was Portia.

iwouldgoouttonight Tue 22-Feb-11 15:07:23

I can't believe these people really exist - FeeBee WTF?!

The worst I've heard is my midwife telling me her DDs were Jorjia and Alix. She seemed to slightly turn her nose up at my more conventional spelling choices!

Geepers Tue 22-Feb-11 15:13:36

I know an Alyvia. It seems normal to be know, s ouch so that I wanted that name and spelling for my daughter. My husband says it's ridiculous, but it's pretty isn't it?

Milngavie Tue 22-Feb-11 15:14:43

I used to know a child called Jorja-Rose.

I have an adult friend who goes by the name of Kayt/Kaytee. Or even sometimes K8-tee

I'm sure when were growing up she was called Katie by us or Kathy by her Dad and Katherine by her mum.

stiflersmom Tue 22-Feb-11 15:16:24

some of these off-the-wall names do grow on you when they are attached to a little person though

I know a little girl called Kaydie, she was such a timid little scrap of a thing when I first met her - now she's developing a really strong personality and she makes me laugh so much - still a tiny little blonde angelic thing but with this big voice and bossyboots streak - I quite like Kaydie now, because it remids me of her!

Bunbaker Tue 22-Feb-11 15:22:15

I wonder how many teachers of these children think "How on earth are we going to teach these children to spell properly when their parents obviously can't".

I'm not a fan of alternative spellings for traditional names either, having spent a lifetime myself telling other people how to spell my name - unusual name, but traditional spelling of it.

practicallyimperfect Tue 22-Feb-11 15:24:26

I teach an Abbegale, a chelsey, chelsie and two Sharns.

Panzee Tue 22-Feb-11 15:24:48

I usually have a quick flick of the eyebrow when I first come across the name, but get used to it pretty quickly.

I thought mine where bad, all of yours are hilarious!

I know a Jayke (Jake)
and an Even (Evan)

also slightly different; my DSis is Karen pronounced the traditional/Daninsh way of Car-en she has now resigned herself to the fact that she is always going to be called Ka-ren

* were not where blush

spiderlight Tue 22-Feb-11 15:32:33

Bephany?? Surely not?! There's a Jorja at my son's nursery, and I also know of sisters called Hayleigh and Emmaleigh, a Kelci and a little boy whose parents wanted to call him Aled but didn't think it looked Welsh enough, so they spelt it Allydd (which, if you're a Welsh speaker, which they're not, would be pronounced roughly as if you were clearing your throat!)

spottyock Tue 22-Feb-11 15:38:20

Elle-Louise
Emma-Lee

Seems rather normal compared to some others.

I know of someone who has called her son Thailer.
Now how would you pronounce that?? I bet it's not the way she does

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now