Worst spelling of perfectly ordinary names? Elyviya anyone?

(640 Posts)
backonthedecaff Mon 21-Feb-11 22:35:26

I have met a Danyal, Daniol, Naiphthan, Caytie and an Alivia. Why do people consign their children to a life time of 'no, that's Daniel spelt...'? Any equally terrible ones out there?

Linguaphile Sun 23-Jun-13 23:32:08

I know a brand new Ellody. sad

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sun 23-Jun-13 23:57:23

I feel stupid because most of these names sound like what they look like, as if they've been sounded out yet I can barely pronounce half of them. confused

Not quite the same but does it bug/bother other people when nicknames are given as 'full' names?

E.g - naming a boy Billy rather than William. (My choice would be to name him William but call him Billy. That way, when he's older he can use whichever version he wants. I ask because several people I know have done this - so we've a range of Billies, Alfies, Bobbies, Jamies and so on.

FreedomOfTheTess Mon 24-Jun-13 10:01:00

My cousin's daughter is Daizy.

A relative in the US goes to school with a girl who is Elyzabeth. shock

forgetmenots Mon 24-Jun-13 11:37:31

Mrscosmo put the can down and step away from the worms!! smile

Phew, I feel a bit better knowing I haven't scarred my child for life. grin

Some of these names are awful though.

My name is has one letter difference to original and I'm always spelling it out. It doesn't bother me much.

jellybelly18 Tue 25-Jun-13 10:23:45

In work I called twins names out to collect something ...... Sky and Channel! The mum said really nastily 'it's Chanel! Definitely spelt channel!

spicegirl13 Tue 25-Jun-13 10:55:09

Oh crikey this is hilarious!

I know a Lilli-Mai (which probably isn't as bad as some on here, but it's otherwise an OK name so why ruin it?!)

Also, surely Mai is pronounced 'my' rather than 'May' so it just sounds like you're saying It with a Brummie accent confused

RaRaZ Tue 25-Jun-13 11:46:03

God, imagine being a teacher confronted with a new register full of these 'names' on the first morning of term?! Migraine-inducing.

TheRealFellatio Wed 26-Jun-13 03:45:08

Oh dear jelly - that poor child is going to have to suffer a lifetime of being called 'channel' every time her name is read out. You'd think instead of getting uppity over it the mother would realise she's been an idiot and change the spelling asap before the poor child gets too used to writing her own name in such a ridiculous way.

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Wed 26-Jun-13 07:15:36

The funniest names I ever saw (I admit, I thought this was clever in a way) Was twins with the last name Juan.

They were named Dis and Dat. I giggled blush

amazingmumof6 Wed 26-Jun-13 13:30:34

PMSL @ Dis Juan and Dat Juan grin grin

SantanaLopez Wed 26-Jun-13 15:37:58

Shinelle

Theselittlelightsofmine Wed 26-Jun-13 16:24:53

Jme

smile

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 26-Jun-13 17:55:05

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Wed 26-Jun-13 07:15:36
The funniest names I ever saw (I admit, I thought this was clever in a way) Was twins with the last name Juan

They were named Dis and Dat. I giggled

That is truly amazing, I love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now