Worst spelling of perfectly ordinary names? Elyviya anyone?

(640 Posts)
backonthedecaff Mon 21-Feb-11 22:35:26

I have met a Danyal, Daniol, Naiphthan, Caytie and an Alivia. Why do people consign their children to a life time of 'no, that's Daniel spelt...'? Any equally terrible ones out there?

tethersend Tue 22-Feb-11 14:06:27

Much more common- Micheal & Racheal. Tragic.

stiflersmom Tue 22-Feb-11 14:07:50

I know a Shiyann, a Pheobe and a Ruebun

Galdem Tue 22-Feb-11 14:14:41

Micheal is an Irish name, pronounced Mee-hawl.

Although it could just be a Michael with shit spellers for parents grin

MosEisley Tue 22-Feb-11 14:15:26

I used to teach a Syanne, pronounced, er, Sigh - Anne. Her parents had seen the name Sian, pronounced it incorrectly, and then spelt out their mispronunciation!

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 22-Feb-11 14:17:07

Sapphron. Just why?

Tonée. Despite the fact it has an acute accent, it is pronounced Tony. Why put a random accent there?

Marye. Why the e on the end? What is it for.

Daysee

niftyfifty Tue 22-Feb-11 14:17:10

I used to deal with a Lyca - took me ages to realise it was Lisa!!!

or, Galdem, if currently seeking re-election (in ireland), Mehole...

tethersend Tue 22-Feb-11 14:19:33

Didn't know that, Galdem- I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in future grin

Isn't Reece a common misspelling of Rhys?

niftyfifty Tue 22-Feb-11 14:19:54

Have also seen in the local paper something like Desi'ree, with a random apostrophe in the middle! Can't quite remember the actual spelling, let alone how it is pronounced, sorry grin

Was going to defend Micheal but Galdem beat me to it

I think Jorja is a legitimate spelling elsewhere too.

DebiTheScot Tue 22-Feb-11 14:22:19

I met a Dan-yell once but the sad (sad in sad this way) thing was, from having met her mum too we suspect she couldn't really read or write much and probably didn't know how it should be spelt.

I teach a Cailet which is pronounced without the t, I hadn't come across that before.

TobyLerone Tue 22-Feb-11 14:23:18

The one that really bugs me is Neve/Neave/Nieve. My cousin has a baby called Nieve. I wouldn't mind so much if we weren't IRISH, FFS!

WorzselMummage Tue 22-Feb-11 14:25:15

I know of a StayC.

hmm

Nagoo Tue 22-Feb-11 14:25:43

Typhane (Tiffany).

took a while, that one.

frogs Tue 22-Feb-11 14:25:50

Micheal is legit (Irish) as is Danyal (Bangladeshi, possibly).

Rachael is also legit (poss Jewish?). Not sure about Racheal though.

However, I do know a Destinii-Vikkii, for which I think there can be no excuses.

weegiemum Tue 22-Feb-11 14:25:50

I know a Kalumm. Saw Ailee (Eilidh I presume?) on a car window last week. I once taught a Rikci.

DirtyMartini Tue 22-Feb-11 14:26:59

Have heard (third-hand) of a Joshau.

Mother of child said to person writing it down on playgroup list that it was pronounced Joshua, but spelling was "the other way", and when this was met with confusion she spelled it out as Joshau.

Nagoo Tue 22-Feb-11 14:28:22

Joshau? how does that even work?

CBear6 Tue 22-Feb-11 14:29:28

We're debating names at the minute for the bump, we both like Georgia - I like the spelling I've used, DH likes "Jorja". He got huffed when I said that was a rubbish bit of a silly spelling.

I've seen Leeoh (Leo), Lewcus (Lucas), Danyelle (Danielle), and others where they seem to have used a phonetic spelling.

PoledrathePissedOffFairy Tue 22-Feb-11 14:35:03

In defence of Tiina, this is the Finnish spelling of Tina.

KTisPG Tue 22-Feb-11 14:35:31

Ainjel hmm what do you say?

makemineapinot Tue 22-Feb-11 14:35:52

I have taught a Feebee - mum said it was to "help her with those phonic things and help people to spell her name when she's older!" yeah right!
have also had Bayleee (yes 3 'e's and he's male)Georgedan, Kallyum (Callum)and some crackers of Scotish and irish names where people obviously don't know how to spell/pronuince them!

DebiTheScot Tue 22-Feb-11 14:37:51

Another couple I've remembered from teaching: Daizi and Hana.

bebejones Tue 22-Feb-11 14:40:08

Makemine - When we registered DD (Phoebe) the registrar asked if we were spelling it with a 'F'?! hmm 'Errmmm NO'!! Although the number of people who spell it PhEObe makes me wonder if she will have issues?! Surely Pheobe would be pronounced 'Fee-O-Bee'?! confused

I can't think of any particularly odd spellings but my mum knows a 'Hunny'! hmm

DP's friend has called her poor little man malakiy-dontay <facepalm>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now