Worst spelling of perfectly ordinary names? Elyviya anyone?

(640 Posts)
backonthedecaff Mon 21-Feb-11 22:35:26

I have met a Danyal, Daniol, Naiphthan, Caytie and an Alivia. Why do people consign their children to a life time of 'no, that's Daniel spelt...'? Any equally terrible ones out there?

CameronCook Mon 21-Feb-11 22:36:48

Can't even work out what some of them are supposed to be shock

where the hell do you live? pmsl it took me a while to figure out what the actual name in your title was! grin

Hatterbox Mon 21-Feb-11 22:47:34

My cousin has a friend called Alyzzabeth. This is over in the USA, where my mum is originally from.

The worst spelling I've encountered in the UK is Maddisynne.

sleepywombat Mon 21-Feb-11 23:42:11

Know a Linzee & a Tiina. Have taught an Elleigh, a Jesikka & a Kayleb - but not quite as bad as your examples perhaps.

Underachieving Tue 22-Feb-11 00:15:16

Have heard of a Klowee (Chloe). Have only heard of this child because of a friend ranting about moronic spellings.

stressheaderic Tue 22-Feb-11 00:21:03

I teach a Jorjia. Think that's quite bad.

saffy85 Tue 22-Feb-11 06:56:37

Have heard of a Shevaun. <shudder>

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 22-Feb-11 06:59:07

Know 2 K-Cs. Think it is suposed to be Casey.

My mum taught a Klo-ee once. sad And I went to school with a Lora, although by the time we left she'd changed the spelling by deed poll so she was Laura.

CaveMum Tue 22-Feb-11 07:16:56

I know of a Soosin (Susan).

There is also the trend to mispronounce established spellings. I remember reading about a child whose name was pronounced "Why-von-ee". The spelling? "Yvonne" hmm

berryshake Tue 22-Feb-11 11:02:35

I know a Jorja. sad

DancingThroughLife Tue 22-Feb-11 11:07:57

Lol Cavemum - that's my Mum's name. I've lost count of the number of people who call her Ya-vonne grin

There's an American actress called Jorja Fox I think.

I don't know any spelling ones, but loads of mispronunciations. Sy-o-ban anyone?

EauRouge Tue 22-Feb-11 11:13:17

I have known a Shevaun, a Tayla (and a Tyla) and a Connah.

Tuschinski Tue 22-Feb-11 11:43:09

It's crazy, if you want to be different, don't call your DD Olivia - by any spelling.

I heard the other side of this, a woman in the post natal ward looking at a baby name book and said Oh that's a lovely name, never heard it before, eee-vone-eh ie Yvonne.

DriverDan Tue 22-Feb-11 12:30:24

Not as bad as some but people my age have all changed the spelling of their nicknames to include random 'i's so I know an Abii, Bekkii, Jenni and Nikkii. All of these used to be Abby, Becky, Jenny and Nicky when we were at school hmm

cocoachannel Tue 22-Feb-11 12:32:54

I think X-factor's Trey-C deserves a mention!

Galdem Tue 22-Feb-11 12:50:07

Ones I have personally come across:

Shavonne (and he was a boy!)
Abiey (Abbey...why? why?)
Aleeysha
Jaiyace (pronounced Jase, which even without the confusing spelling I don't recognise as a name)
I also know a Tyla.

My absolute favourite is Trinnitii.

MelinaM Tue 22-Feb-11 13:32:48

Elyviya????? What's wrong with Olivia, dear me some these people need a reality check!
Taylah, Seaenna, Jazmyne, and Geordan have to be the the worst I've ever come across! I do know of a Jorja-Jay, her sister is Jayde! Both awful spellings of perfectly nice names!

berri Tue 22-Feb-11 13:35:32

God, pass the bucket.

catinboots Tue 22-Feb-11 13:38:25

I know a Michel'Le

Pronounced mee-shell-lay

Dyllan, Jaymiee, Destiney (a BLATANT misspell!), Shavonne (again)...

FooffyShmoofffer Tue 22-Feb-11 13:50:07

I know a C-ana and also saw a Bephany in the paper.

dreamygirl Tue 22-Feb-11 13:58:59

I try to be charitable and think that the parents just want their children to have a name that's "different" but they obviously can't see they're cursing their children to have to spell out their names to all and sundry for their entire lives (or change by deed-poll as someone mentioned above). I've found it bad enough to end up with a surname nobody can say or spell!

I think the mispronouncing thing is possibly worse though. Someone I knew taught a Sian who had to explain every time she had a new teacher that it was pronounced "Cyan" like the colour.

Blatherskite Tue 22-Feb-11 13:59:53

Destynie

Sharn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now