Double barrelled first names

(46 Posts)
Flossiebelle Sat 23-Oct-10 16:19:20

Do you think they are just too long?

I don't think it's the length that is the problem, it's the concept.

I don't have strong feelings about them either way though.

hocuspontas Sat 23-Oct-10 16:26:47

I am always in a dilemma when addressing christmas cards to families with double-barrelled children. Some people capitalise the name after the hyphen and some don't and I hate getting it wrong!

Flossiebelle Sat 23-Oct-10 16:29:14

Thanks ShowOfBloodyStumps
Just wondering and a little bored. My daughter has got a double barelled middle name, which since born I have often wondered whether it should have been used as her first name.

jellybeans Sat 23-Oct-10 17:18:49

It's not my cup of tea but each to their own. However, they nearly always end up being called just the first part after a year or so.

My DD has a double barrelled first name, as does DH and my brother, MNers all said that it would be shortened, but I didn't think it would... but it has after only 8 months. I still love her name and I like that it is double-barelled, and as we have an incredibly common one syllable surname I think its good in her case.

cory Sat 23-Oct-10 18:38:06

Common in other countries, often regarded as chavvy/a bit off here. No idea why, I grew up in one of the many countries where it is perfectly normal.

sparkle12mar08 Sat 23-Oct-10 18:50:32

Don't like them, sorry. Agree with SOBS and cory, the concept is still quite alien here in the UK, and regarded as common.

mathanxiety Sat 23-Oct-10 20:10:59

One of the DDs has one, and it got shortened for a while but she now uses it in full. It's a French name (two names) but the idea is very French too, although popular in Ireland also.

Flossiebelle Sat 23-Oct-10 20:46:21

I really do like the idea of my dd potentially using hers as her first name but for me it is the overall length of the name. I am a teacher and am thinking about how long the name would be when she is learning to write and spell her name.

anonymosity Sun 24-Oct-10 01:22:44

i have a double first name. I like it very much, BUT it has been an enormous pain in the arse my entire life.

I couldn't write it properly for ages as a child (11 letters). Many people tried (and still try) to shorten it which drives me nuts. People get it wrong ALL the time, mixing up one part with an entirely different name, or making the whole thing an entirely different two names.

Suffice to say, I wouldn't inflict it on anyone (though as I said in the other post on this, like it when they're in French) and have given my two children V short, one or two syllable names.

seaturtle Sun 24-Oct-10 10:16:33

I have no strong opinions against them. I wouldn't have picked one for my child's name but if I did, I probably would have left out the hyphen. I know a Sarahjane, and I like the way that's put together rather than Sarah-Jane or Sarah Jane, because I think Sarahjane looks more like a complete name than the other two. But that's just a personal quirk of mine.

Expecting06112010 Sun 24-Oct-10 11:32:04

im not overly keen, a bit hillbilly!

ValiumSkeleton Sun 24-Oct-10 12:35:22

i do. I know a couple of Sophie-Elles and SOphie-Mays and Ellie_mays and so on and their mothers aren't happy when people just call them Sophie or Ellie. I know one child who is emily-rose (have changed one name) adn it's a mouthful and the child is ten and the mother still calls her by both names.

i am being unreasonable but I just think, choose one fgs!

ValiumSkeleton Sun 24-Oct-10 12:37:06

Mathanxiety, not just backtracking because I have read your post! but yes, some names like Marie-Claire or Anne-Charlotte or Anne-Marie just seem to work better together.

It is the modern permutations and combos that sound like somebody couldn't decide.

chipmonkey Sun 24-Oct-10 12:57:55

I like then so long as it's not two long names. I know a boy with two names, both of which are two-syllable and had to agree with a mutual friend when she muttered "fgs, pick a name"

Flossiebelle Sun 24-Oct-10 16:15:37

Thanks for your opinions. My DD middle name is Felicity-Rose, which I personally love (after a family member)but deep down I know it is way too long to use as a first name.

meadowlarks Sun 24-Oct-10 16:18:44

I think they're awful, personally.

mathanxiety Sun 24-Oct-10 21:30:33

ValiumSkeleton, that's the kind of name I'm thinking of. OTOH, Chelsea-Rae and the like are not my cup of tea.

maryz Sun 24-Oct-10 21:51:31

Her teachers and other adults might call her Felicity-Rose, but her class-mates won't, especially when she gets older. It would also be a bit of a challenge to spell, I suppose.

Personally I have a vendetta with double-barrelled first names or surnames. I don't mind if there is a very short surname or first name with them, but the overall number of letters screws up spread-sheets, lists of children for activities, etc. So they invariably get shortened to fit into forms.

Flossiebelle Sun 24-Oct-10 21:58:57

MaryZ - I totally agree with you. Fortunately, we do have a very short surname and DD has got a short first name, so felt that we could get away with either giving her two middle names or one longer middle name.

Wilts Sun 24-Oct-10 22:01:16

I have a doubled- barrelled name, it is never shortened and never was when I was younger either.

SirBoobAlot Sun 24-Oct-10 22:09:26

I have a double barrelled first name; its shortened by people who knew me when I was younger, but I decided I preferred the full version a few years back, and those that have met me since use my full name. I like it, although -May/Mae has got very common recently. Mine is -Maye, so slightly different at least grin

I'll answer to either.

phipps Sun 24-Oct-10 22:11:52

I think the parents are a bit precious if they give a double barrelled first name but then I think that about Annabelle too. Very twee.

Sidge Sun 24-Oct-10 22:14:42

I have a 1970s double-barrelled first name and have only ever been called my name in full when being told off by my mum! And on my passport.

I met a baby the other day that has a double-barrelled first name and a double-barrelled surname. Too Much I think.

Surprise Sun 24-Oct-10 22:15:44

Not a fan. As someone else said, it's perfectly acceptable in mainland Europe, where I think the name is often shortened to the second part. Here, it just seems a bit, well naff tbh.

brimfull Sun 24-Oct-10 22:17:35

funnily enough dh and I were laughing at ds' headteachers double barrelled first name
sounds silly in a professional adult

Sally-Ann btw

<wonders why all the examples on here are female>

Some DB names are so well established that no-one would bat a judgemental eyelid.

eg
John Paul
John Ross
Billy Joe
Billy Rae

but some most just sound contrived, as if the parents couldn't make their minds up

maryz Sun 24-Oct-10 22:28:57

Ireland used to be full of double-barrelled boys, due to what appeared to be a severe shortage of boys names in the country.

So you get Paddy-Joe, Micky-Joe, John-Paul (after the pope, of course), Jimmy-Pat, John-James, Paddy-Mick. All the names are now considered to be skangery. Though the cool kids use the initials - ds2 has a CJ, a JC and a PJ in his year in school.

I never liked them, then I went and gave dd1 a double barralled name with a hyphen hmm, but she has always been called by the first part of her name.

Flossiebelle Sun 24-Oct-10 22:44:46

So here goes - Im going to be brave now and just ask.

Do you think Felicity-Rose is just too much? I am really wanted advice on the length of the name and not the name itself grin

nooka Mon 25-Oct-10 04:46:49

I think that double barreled first names for both boys and girls are very hillbilly except on French people, or Sarah Jane Smith.

But I don't think for a middle name it really matters. The only thing I'd wonder is how the initials would work. If it's X F-R X then that might be a bit of a nuisance for forms etc.

SixtyFootGhooool Mon 25-Oct-10 07:13:03

agree with Nooka, remind me of the Waltons.
Dont like them

Flossiebelle Mon 25-Oct-10 08:03:58

I appreciate your feedback smile
The initials we are using are M F X. I have classed Felicity-Rose as one longer name but I may be wrong in doing this hmm

PosieComeHereMyPreciousParker Mon 25-Oct-10 08:15:48

I have a double barrelled first name and I love it, I hate the first part and so the second makes it more manageable. When I was little it wasn't common in either sense to have a double barrelled first name, but now it is and you have to be careful. Mine is .....-Jay. I refused to do the same to my daughter though, so I guess I can't love it that much!!!

I now have a double barrelled surname too and so sound like a dickhead when I have to say my name on the phone and apologise a lot.

Flossiebelle Mon 25-Oct-10 08:24:24

Thanks Posie

Do you write both your double barelled intitials or just the first?
Also would you have preferred to just have been called one of the two names instead of it being double barelled if you don't mind me asking smile

PosieComeHereMyPreciousParker Mon 25-Oct-10 08:46:12

I insist that when written people write my full name, I use both initials and have a middle name...so 5 initials!! People won't be told and so I'm rarely called by both names! I do love just my first two initials but only through university did anyone call me these, mainly my first name gets shortened to one syllable where I grew up and am now just my first name to everyone. Before children I never needed to use my last name as everyone knew me by my first (both parts), however I am now DC's Mummy and so have no name at all!!

Erm, I loved being different so having two names was great but as an adult I sort of feel the need to apologise for it!!

4andnotout Mon 25-Oct-10 08:49:41

I have 4 dd's with double barrelled first names, 99% of the time they use both names, it's never been a problem.

nooka Mon 25-Oct-10 15:59:43

Flossie, why don't you just use Felicity and Rose as two middle names? Seems much simpler and still honours the Felicity-Rose in your life. In practice it won't make any difference as middle names are always said together when they are said at all.

Flossiebelle Mon 25-Oct-10 21:21:16

4andnotout - that is good to know smile
Nooka - thanks for the feedback. She as actually been registered with Felicity-Rose as her middle name now but maybe should have considered giving her the two seperate nameshmm

muminthemiddle Tue 26-Oct-10 12:13:08

I have never heard a good double barrelled first name.

I think it sounds ridiculous when coupled with a middle name and a double barrelled surname. Especially when the surname is made up from the child's 2 parents and not a long standing family surname that has been in use for generations.
My personal hate is anything with May/Mae in it.

stressSeveredHeadOnaStickEric Tue 26-Oct-10 12:19:17

I'm not a fan. They're just too much of a mouthful for me, I can't be arsed with them. My DD has a 3 syllable first name and I even shorten that to calling her by her initial (B).

I'm a teacher and the more these double-barrelled jobs become popular, the longer it takes to do the register. Might have to do away with Lesson 1 soon as this rate wink

There are 3 John Pauls at my school. All get called JP. Something to consider too.

frakkinstein Tue 26-Oct-10 12:26:59

(French) DH has one, as do all his family and it suits them but they're all saint/similar and traditional names - think Marie-x, Anne-x, Jean-x, Marc-x

DC will have double barrelled 1st names as I dare not fly in the face of tradition but I personally will only use one if them for every day and it would be Marie, Anne, Jean etc.

I think it's culture dependent tbh, and on the names as well. Personally I wouldn't have doubled Felicity Rose, especially as a middle name, but it's not as bad as some I've heard.

frakkinstein Tue 26-Oct-10 12:28:16

Wouldn't be Marie, Anne etc!

Sarsaparilllla Tue 26-Oct-10 15:58:46

I have a double barrelled first name, mainly because I was named after my aunty so my parents wanted to make the name slighty different.

I've never been bothered one way or the other, most people call me just the first part, some the whole thing, I'll answer to either as well SirBoobAlot!

I tink if you like the sound of it why not

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now