What names have you noticed getting more popular in 2010?

(222 Posts)
bytheMoonlight Sat 14-Aug-10 10:17:24

What do you think will be the popular names of 2010?

zenoushka Sat 14-Aug-10 10:52:02

Penelope and Florence - have come across quite a few recently!

SirBoobAlot Sat 14-Aug-10 10:54:28

Lola, Rosie and Jack.

NiceCuppaT Sat 14-Aug-10 10:55:56

Logan
Florence
Megan
Henry
know two of each born recently.

zenoushka Sat 14-Aug-10 11:02:33

Isla also continues to be popular, I know of 3 born in the past 6 months.

Shellie/Shelly/Chelli/... is quite popular round here at the minute.

MrsJohnDeere Sat 14-Aug-10 11:09:04

Benedict
Arlo
Cecily
Malachai (not sure of the spelling)

are suddenly very popular here for newborns.

LibertyGibbet Sat 14-Aug-10 11:11:38

Jude for a boy and a girl.

Kitty
Elodie/Eloise/Elise are replacing Ella/Ellie
Florence
Harriet

And all the usual Jack, Harry, Oliver, William, Thomas, Ella, Charlotte, Isobel names that are continuing to be popular.

LibertyGibbet Sat 14-Aug-10 11:12:19

Oh and American names/surname type names are v popular atm.

Harper, Tyler, Cole, Brandon etc

venusonarockbun Sat 14-Aug-10 11:19:53

Lots of Haydens around.

Marjee Sat 14-Aug-10 11:33:23

I've got a little Oscar which I didn't think was that common but I seem to have met loads at clinics, swimming and baby groups lately. Also Edward seems to be popular atm. For girls Lily, Ruby and Mia seem quite popular

LibertyGibbet Sat 14-Aug-10 11:37:11

Oscar is very popular indeed here and has been for a few years.

Edward is apparently on the rise because of those books.

skyeplusbump Sat 14-Aug-10 14:50:23

what books?!

zenoushka Sat 14-Aug-10 14:55:00

Twilight Books.

horsechesnut Sat 14-Aug-10 15:08:30

Talking of which - Jasper.

skyeplusbump Sat 14-Aug-10 15:12:11

ohhh.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 14-Aug-10 15:14:04

Clara
Eve

prozacfairy Sat 14-Aug-10 15:48:58

Charlie
Max
Lola
Isla
Imogen
Ava
seem to be aleast 2 of each in the baby and toddler rooms at DD's nursery.

Also:

Jayden/kayden/Hayden/Brayden I've heard around town lately all blurgh imho especially Brayden. Makes me think of donkeys for some reason.

tummytickler Sat 14-Aug-10 16:17:04

Apart from the usual I have noticed a few Agnes' and Willows this year. rather a lot in fact (I work with newborns which is why i have met so many grin).

Also rather more 'rose' names that aren't Rose. Rosemary, Rosamund, Rosalind etc.

Can't think for boys, just more of the same i think. Arthur and Stanley are about to go through the roof i think, soooo many of those born lately.

lulabellamozerella Sat 14-Aug-10 16:28:40

I don't know why but Jody for a boy is getting really popular around here (I know 4 who've been born in the last year)

MrsvWoolf Sat 14-Aug-10 18:43:17

In my personal experience:

Dorothy, Agatha (I now know of four), Felix, Florence, Wilfred.

thesecondcoming Sat 14-Aug-10 19:40:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

plonker Sat 14-Aug-10 20:18:39

The last 3 baby girls that I know have been called Eve, Eve and Evie.

The last few boys have been Jack or Max

AT1137 Sat 14-Aug-10 20:43:51

Eve, Evie, Oliver, George, Ruby - nearly EVERY baby boy I know of born recently is an Oliver and nearly every girl is an Evie or Eve!

sothisisitisit Sat 14-Aug-10 20:47:33

Florence, Lola, Eloise, Elise and Felix all seem to be increasing in popularity.

Wigeon Sat 14-Aug-10 20:51:04

I have an Eva, born 2008 - thought it was a lovely, slightly unusual but nonetheless classic name at the time - cannot belive the explosion of Evies and Evas since.

KAEKAE Sun 15-Aug-10 00:32:09

Oscar
Ava
Ella

Oliver - I have one but back in 2007 I didn't know one Oliver, three years on and anyone I know expecting a boy always calls them Oliver!

Stanley - I know four born within the last three months.

Dasiy - I know seven!
Lily
Bella

DessieLou Sun 15-Aug-10 00:59:07

Lily and Isabella. Sooooo many Isabella's!!! Such a shame as they're pretty names. And all the 'old man' names like Stanley, Sidney, Archie. Had an elderly couple in at work the other day who mentioned 'Frank playing on that damn nintendo box again'...had a very strange image in my head til I turned round and saw an 8 year old Frank on his PSP!grin

CheerfulYank Sun 15-Aug-10 01:11:42

Yes, tons of Isabelle/bellas here. Not too many Isobels though. And Jacobs and Jakes everywhere.

I love Jack for my next DS even though it's so popular, also Rhys or Finn. There aren't many Rhys' here (a few named Reese though) but Finn is going to be huge I fear. Also Penelope, which is my DD choice, with Poppy as a nn. And yes I can nn her that, so there. <belligerent emoticon>

Ineedsomesleep Sun 15-Aug-10 08:17:02

Eve/Evie/Eva/Ava, Lily and Ruby still all seem to be popular also Annabelle and Isla ssems to be on the rise.

William and Oliver for boys. Thats if you are not going down the Jaxon route.

Tamashii Sun 15-Aug-10 08:23:46

Finn - yes! There are lots of Finn's around all of a sudden. Also finding quite a few Marlon's and of course Ella/Bella

ShadeofViolet Sun 15-Aug-10 08:24:30

Isabelle
Isla
Ava/Eva

Jenson
Riley

Violet5 Sun 15-Aug-10 08:27:18

I know a lot of Isabella's, Eve/Eva's, Florences, Emily's and Sophie's.

And boys, lots of Oliver's, Edward's, Alexander's, George's and Harrys.

CakeandFineWine Sun 15-Aug-10 08:27:50

Very glad the name I'm thinking of isn't on here, sadly DD's name is "Evie" now really popular.
Lots of Freddies & Josephs around here for boys..

MamaLazarou Sun 15-Aug-10 11:01:25

I have a six-month-old, and the most popular names amongst his friends are James, Edward, Max and Alex for boys; and Isabelle, Olivia, Amelie and Charlotte for girls. We do live in a very white, middle-class town! Leon is getting more common among the tinier babies now.The Evie love must end soon, surely?

tummytickler Sun 15-Aug-10 16:19:02

also Nancy and Arabella.

Vine Sun 15-Aug-10 18:37:16

Many Lily-Mays/Mae. 'Bel' names, like Isabelle, Mabel.

For boys lots of oldie nicknames like Archie, Alfie.

CupcakesHay Sun 15-Aug-10 19:32:29

Arabella ... really? That was on my possible list as i didn't think it was too popular?

I have 2 cats who are 9 years old - called Oscar and Isabella... so whenever i hear babies called that, I think of my cats But to be fair, we weren't sure we could have kids so that's why the cats have good names.

I know a couple of Freyas, a Jasmine, Constance and Beatrice.

tummytickler Sun 15-Aug-10 19:49:22

its not at the level of Evie but much more popular than it used to be. i have seen quuite a few the past year.

LibertyGibbet Sun 15-Aug-10 20:04:44

Oh yes Lucas, Luca and Leon.

Finn is very popular here. Finnian, Finegan, Finbar etc.

Beatrice and Beatrix are very popular too.

Maisie too.

emptyshell Sun 15-Aug-10 23:19:17

Lola, also Isabelle/bella/Isobel (shame cos I liked this one a lot).

Ineedsomesleep Mon 16-Aug-10 06:45:33

Archie and Alfie here too.

rachel234 Mon 16-Aug-10 09:50:44

Florence and Rosemary for girls.

Quentin and Stanley for boys.

MrsvWoolf Mon 16-Aug-10 10:26:52

Some more I've noticed have grown in popularity when out and about:

Reuben, Constance, Iris, Beatrice

Beans33 Mon 16-Aug-10 12:26:03

I've got an Isabella - think it's a beautiful name. She was born in 2008 and it was the number one name for the year - we thought we were being vastly different. Oops! And if we had a boy for 2nd one, were going to call him Edward - despite the Twighlight books. We're not very original are we??! But had a 2nd DD and called her Prudence (Pru), which is quite unusual.

I know lots of Archies, Arthurs, Williams and Avas, Evies and Imogens. All lovely names, so why not, I say?!!!

hatebeak Mon 16-Aug-10 12:27:52

Arlo, Wilfred, Florence, Violet, Elodie all seem to be on the up.

Mitzicoco Mon 16-Aug-10 12:44:37

Sounds like thesecondcoming has met a mean Clara!
Popular names around here:
Henry
Freddie
Ocsar
Lily
Freya
Oliver

NormanNorris Mon 16-Aug-10 21:04:16

I agree with Florence and Mabel. I know a few of each born this year. Edward, Jasper, Esme and Alice due to Twilight. I know of loads of baby Islas and Evies too. Two of my friends are considering Wilfred and I know quite a few Rufuses. Oh and Oscar and Archie! Millions of those born this year.

Sophie. I work with children and in a group of 7 kids last month 3 of them were called Sophie.

HumphreyCobbler Mon 16-Aug-10 21:06:57

No, like me, thececondcoming has got a Clara and we want it to stay at number 342. Like it was when we chose the name grin

LuluF Mon 16-Aug-10 21:14:45

tummytickler - are there really that many babies being called Nancy? We have a three and a half year old named Nancy - and I'm a bit concerned there will be an explosion...

thesecondcoming Mon 16-Aug-10 21:20:30

NormanNorris Mon 16-Aug-10 21:25:12

Oh yes, Dexter. Lots of them around! And Elijahs.

HumphreyCobbler Mon 16-Aug-10 21:36:43

It is Elinor around here. I know four.

Imarriedafrog Mon 16-Aug-10 21:40:29

mumtoabeautifulbabyboy Mon 16-Aug-10 22:02:55

In our area (South East), other than the usual Olives, Olivers, Jacks, Evies and Avas...

I am a primary school teacher as well as a member of our locl NCT group and among younger siblings etc I have noticed names such as:
Sophie
Clara
Lola
Imogen
Charlotte
Mimi
Matilda

Toby
Edward
Archie/|Freddie/Alfie/Te ddy (I know three!
Luca
Arlo

kalo12 Mon 16-Aug-10 22:07:36

grace
mia
anna

ethan

stressheaderic Mon 16-Aug-10 22:14:29

Here, lots of Logan, Mason, Carter, Parker.
For girls, Lily (I know 8 Lilys) and Eve/Ava/Evie still doing the rounds.

seaturtle Mon 16-Aug-10 22:19:30

Thomas/Tomas and lots of girls' names ending in May/Mae.

KERALA1 Mon 16-Aug-10 22:20:05

Eve/Evie etc. Most of the girls in DDs class are called some version of Eve. Lots of Bens and Olivers for the boys.

nelly83 Mon 16-Aug-10 22:50:04

The last 3 boys names I've heard of have been Elliott, Jack, and Alex. The last 3 girls have been Eden, Olivia, and Ivy. I work with children (3year olds) and have lots of Olivias, Jacks, Alexanders, Ellies, and Declans.

tattycoram Mon 16-Aug-10 22:56:54

Two Felixes and two Zoes this year.
I think Eddie on the rise too

tummytickler Mon 16-Aug-10 23:07:54

Oh no, not ELijah! I have a 7.8 year old Eli (ELijah), and we have never met another. And a 9 year old Iris. Don't want them to have faddy names!

Lulu - I am afraid I have seen loads of baby Nancys born at work over the last year - it is a fabby name though. But it looks like I will get an explosion of Iris' adn Elijah's! grin As long as those buggers leave Pearl and Amos alone!

I think my choices for next dc might be quite safe though grin

NormanNorris Tue 17-Aug-10 08:10:21

I think that Iris and Elijah will go out of fashion I'm afraid. I see Elijah along the same lines as Noah and Joshua and it will definitely be as popular in a few years.

Hulababy Tue 17-Aug-10 08:17:34

I know of two babies under 9 months called Emma.

LuluF Tue 17-Aug-10 09:06:17

Oh poop! Thank you secondcoming and tummytickler I've no met so many here - one in a park a couple of years ago, and one at a party before our Nancy was born.

We're in Norfolk - so maybe we're a bit behind the times.

One of Nancy's middle names is 'Pearl' and we had a beautiful cat called 'Amos' - they are fab names. Nancy's big sister is called Romilly - I expect that'll be getting popular, too - following your 'anything with Milly in it' observation, secondcoming. Double poop. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does.

thesecondcoming Tue 17-Aug-10 09:16:02

tummytickler Tue 17-Aug-10 09:34:17

Norman - double bugger, 8 and 9 years ago we were trying to go for something stylish, classic and not fashionable so it wouldn't date too much!
I suppose at least there are names that will be far more ties to the 2010's <hopeful emoticon>

Lulu - I only know one Romilly and she is in her 30's. It is lovely.

LuluF Tue 17-Aug-10 09:53:42

I suppose Romilly might not become all that popular in Manchester given the place - Romiley (ours was nearly born in Sheffield and people took great delight in mentioning it). I know one Romilly in her 30s - my friends sister - you're not in Ipswich are you?

Ulysses Tue 17-Aug-10 10:21:44

Evie and something-Mae for girls
Hamish and Fergus for boys (up in Scotland)

Also had Clara, Elodie and Celine at DD's nursery.

Romilly is a lovely name, fancied Roma for DD but never did use it. Now pg with other and I really like Tess for a girl.

tummytickler Tue 17-Aug-10 10:30:40

Lulu - no, not in Ipswich grin

Ulysses - my dh wants to name a future ds Ulysses, not sure it goes with Eli and Amos though grin

LuluF Tue 17-Aug-10 10:38:04

Tess is on our list for DC 4 and Betty/Betsy is the other contender. I think it's boy though. Would love Hamish - but it's DS's middle name. Really liking Patrick and Benedict for boys. DH likes Angus - but our cat is called Angus.

I know two Tabithas born in the last few months. Also several small Cecilys and a Cecilia. And I know a couple of two-year-old Wilfreds.

I like Romilly but DH isn't keen, so that's at least one more Romilly you won't be getting... grin

In fact most of these names are lovely... curses... <scribbles out half the entries on baby name shortlist>

loobylu3 Tue 17-Aug-10 11:30:40

Nancy, Iris, Clara and Romilly are all v pretty names. I think they are all growing in popularity. I think nowadays we are all seeking a more unusual name for our children (not just Thomas vs William or Ann vs Elizabeth as in previous generations). Sadly, it isn't surprising that we all hit upon the same underused classic/ vintage name at the same time. Unless you choose something which most people regard as an unpleasant name, it will inevitable become more popular.

My DD2's name has been mentioned twice too!

Lulu- can I be v nosy and ask what your DS's name is (only because I think your DDs have v pretty names)!

Eve/Eva/Evie
Have also noticed Florence

Lots of Williams too.

domesticsluttery Tue 17-Aug-10 11:40:17

For girls Tirion and Cadi seem to be becoming more popular. Megan, Siân and Carys are still very popular and have been for a long time.

For boys it still seems to be Dylan, Jac, Siôn, Tomos and Osian. Ifan/Efan seems to be getting more popular too.

LuluF Tue 17-Aug-10 12:04:51

Of course, loobylu - but you'll be disappointed as it's very tradtional, ordinary, (popular even) Joseph (known as Joe mostly). My DH picked it (to honour his Father) and he has a preference for the traditional.

Even this time round, I'd go for something like Lucien/Monty/Sholto/Titus/Rufus but he's not having any of it, sadly. I do find boys' names particularly tricky though.

thesecondcoming Tue 17-Aug-10 12:26:01

LuluF Tue 17-Aug-10 12:55:08

We definitely didn't!!

All my DH says (apart from 'No' to most of my suggestions) is, 'He won't be going to private school you know. He has the awkward teenage years to get through'. He's right, of course. Though DH would pick James if I let him (I won't).

loobylu3 Tue 17-Aug-10 13:16:36

lulu- I think Joseph is a great name!

I have much more traditional taste with boy's names too! I also think that a boy may not thank you for having a very unusual name

(btw, I like Rufus a lot but I think it may also explode in popularity as lots of people seems to like it).

LuluF Tue 17-Aug-10 13:24:42

No - I think you're right. Tradtional names are good for boys.

DH is called William - there are loads now, but when we were at school, it was a very old-fashiond name.

And I think you're right about Rufus. It's a balance, isn't it? Picking a name that everyone's heard of, but one that's not over-used. It's so hard!

pigleychez Tue 17-Aug-10 13:27:48

I heard quite a few newborns called Harrison here lately

I found that dd's name was given to 12 babies in 2008.

That's 12.

She's not called anything weird, she's called Judith.

Cortina Tue 17-Aug-10 13:41:08

I love Judith! Have you read 'The Dusty Answer' Rosamond Lehman (sp)? If not, please do, made me fall in love with the name Judith. Also a Judith in a Rosamund Pilcher I think, one of those that was adapted for TV with Joanna Lumley as the mother, Loveday's mother. Not the Shell Seekers, something else?

loobylu3 Tue 17-Aug-10 13:43:15

It's definitely hard! DH and I have totally different tastes and he likes v few names which has always made things tricky!

btw- I think Tess is lovely and Patrick too. Benedict is nice but a bit Catholic sounding (which may or may not apply)

LuluF Tue 17-Aug-10 13:55:05

I married into a Catholic family and I'm sure that they would think I'd chosen it because of the Pope!

LuluF Tue 17-Aug-10 14:05:24

And the other name I think is becoming more popular (around these parts at least) is 'John' and for girls, there seems to be a few named 'Juliette' (once you get past the Evies and Graces).

thesecondcoming Tue 17-Aug-10 14:08:50

corkysmum Tue 17-Aug-10 14:19:03

I have a Florence born 2006, nn Flo, am gutted it's getting so popular sad

Was quite unusual when she was born (am in Rural Suffolk tho so prob way behind the times...)

My DS arrived christmas day last year, we've called him Gabriel, don't know of any others just yet.

However was surprised to see both names are number 97 in 2009 statistics for baby names. Maybe he won't be the only Gabe for much longer...

So hard to choose something original without going too far!

HumphreyCobbler Tue 17-Aug-10 14:25:21

Judith is a great name, fits the criteria of being uncommon without being unusual. Hester is another.

KateF Tue 17-Aug-10 14:26:16

You do get over your "unusual" name becoming popular! My Isabella was born in 1999 and I chose it because I didn't want yet another Megan, Chloe or Emily (all lovely names but were the equivalent of Ellie/Evie today.) It's still unusual in her age group but there are apparently a lot of little Isabellas out there - not here though! I did a little better with Susannah and Philippa, they don't seem to be hitting the top ten.

Cortina Tue 17-Aug-10 14:29:32

Yes, it's the classic but slightly out of fashion if you like which sound so great when the child is a teenager and later.

For example I had a boyfriend Tom (Thomas), now around 42 in 1985 or so he was one of the only 16 year old Toms in his year or area!

I had a friend Imogen who now would be around 40, again only the one in the school at the time. Julia was another name like this.

So if you want an uncommon but great name find a name that was seen like Julia, Thomas and Imogen would have been seen around 1970. Question is what are they?

I've got a few ideas.

birdofthenorth Tue 17-Aug-10 14:32:25

Ethan, Harry, Jacob and Arlo all getting more popular for boys I think

Definately Florence for girls -and yet more Ellas, Rubys, Graces etc still coming thick and fast

HumphreyCobbler Tue 17-Aug-10 14:33:07

I don't mind my name choices being in the top hundred, but I would be upset if they ended up in the top ten.

Where you are makes a huge difference though. I have a Fred, which is everywhere in some places. Here in Wales people were slightly disbelieving when I said him name. One women even said "No really, what IS his name?"

LuluF Tue 17-Aug-10 14:34:44

Tell us Cortina, tell us!! (But you probably would rather keep them to yourself - and that's understandable).

You see, I thought we'd done that with 'Nancy' and then look what happened.

Actually, going back to 'Judith' - I love 'Judy' (I mentioned this to DH only the other day) - I think that's a good example of what you're talking about - never been extremely popular, not likely to be either.

I'm liking 'Julia', too now you've mentioned it... Oh, I'm so suggestable.

Thissideofchannel Tue 17-Aug-10 14:39:36

My sister just had a Quentin. It's been quite popular in France for a while (top 10) but seems to be getting more common in the UK.

Otherwise, Clara and Florence and other 'old lady' names seem to be gaining popularity.

tummytickler Tue 17-Aug-10 14:54:27

Surely though it is things like Sienna, Tyler, Evie etc that are going to really date, not names that are in the 300 + in the popularity lists, or the biblical names. I know there are aa lot of Joshuas, but are they really going to 'date' in the same way that Caiden and Tyler will?

NorhamGardens Tue 17-Aug-10 15:00:37

Agreed, Tummy, but there will be a few classics and bible names in the mix that will also date, question is which?

Not that it matters, and they won't date as badly, but I find it interesting. Which 'classics' will be the Sarah, Emma, Matthew and Steven/Stephen of the early to mid 1970s?

Cortina, no, we got the idea from reading an autobiography of a Shuttle astronaut who was a good friend of Judith Resnick who died in the Challenger crash. My brother also had a t-shirt with the biblical Judith on it: I had to explain the story to him just before I had dd so I think the name was on my mind anyway.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 17-Aug-10 16:34:30

Isn't Judith the name Virgina Woolf gave Shakespeare's sister?

Mollydoggerson Tue 17-Aug-10 16:49:19

Marieclaire and Fiona are due for a revival. I've met two baby Mary's recently. Personally I like Eileen and hope that revives.

tummytickler Tue 17-Aug-10 16:53:23

I love Mary and Eileen.
Have also met a coupel of Fionas.
Can't imagine anyone calling a baby Claire though!

LuluF Tue 17-Aug-10 17:38:25

I love Mary. But can't ever use it as we have a Joseph.

Fiona - really? It really isn't a name I like.

Claire/Clare is a funny one (it's my middle name) - I know lots of people with the name, too, probably in their 30s - but can't imagine them as babies and I'm not sure I like it on older women either.

Housemum Tue 17-Aug-10 18:05:07

There are loads of Amelias around so we went for Amelie as the softer sounding version. I went to a little village toddler group, 15 kids in the room of which 3 were called Amelie!

Lots of Oscars/Olivers (Oscar was one of our boy reserve names, as was Miles - almost a shame she wasn't a boy as I haven't met another Miles!)

Matilda/Tillie is on the up too.

NormanNorris Tue 17-Aug-10 22:18:42

Of course Biblical names date. Jason, Mark, Deborah etc..

MuffinsMummy Tue 17-Aug-10 22:24:51

The midwife told me this morning that Roxy is becoming quite popular because of Eastenders. She said the same thing happened 10 years ago with Courtney.

cece Tue 17-Aug-10 22:31:40

All the boys around here seem to be called Finley/Finlay

Thissideofchannel Tue 17-Aug-10 22:34:18

Is Roxy a boy or girl (sorry, don't watch Easternders..)?

DessieLou Tue 17-Aug-10 22:51:38

Roxy is a girls name...not so keen myself. Quite like Lexi though which is getting popular.

ElphabaThropp Tue 17-Aug-10 23:45:38

Evie, Isla, Olivia for girls. Dunno about boys so much

smother Wed 18-Aug-10 08:59:01

for girls - Esme seems to be getting more popular, know of 3 new ones. Also lots called Lily, Isabella, Isla. And Anna too.

for boys - a fair few Theos are popping up. And Harry, Harrisson and Edward.

NormanNorris Wed 18-Aug-10 09:12:55

Oh yes, Theo or Theodore. Tons of baby Theos here.

HumphreyCobbler - yes, I think so, presumably because one of his daughter was named Judith.

I love Judith. May have to run it past DH again (I deduce from the fact that DD is not named Judith that he wasn't keen last time)

tummytickler Wed 18-Aug-10 10:15:04

Agree with Esme and Isla - soooo many, you can hardly move for them - they are really going to date I think.

I love Judith too.

oh yes I know three baby Isla's

NormanNorris Wed 18-Aug-10 11:22:00

My friend has just had twins and named them Isla & Esme

Lots of babies named Claire in the US, but I don't know any here.

messybedhead Wed 18-Aug-10 12:01:07

Somebody said Teddy.

We named our DS Teddy, thinking we wouldn't meet any other little Teds... oh how wrong were we!!

clarabellarocks Wed 18-Aug-10 13:10:15

If this thread proves anything - it's don't not use your favourite name just because you worry it's too popular. I love the ever-popular Isabelle but don't know a single one! I'd be gutted if I picked a name that was less popular over a popular one I loved only to find my less popular one had indeed become popular....if that makes sense!!

I know loads of Finn's and Isaac's.

BikeRunSki Wed 18-Aug-10 13:14:16

I know 3 x Zac and 3 x Robins (All boys) born between Nov 2009 and Jan 2010

cece Wed 18-Aug-10 13:43:14

When I had my Esme a few years ago, several people asked me if I had made it up! hmm How times change! smile

Hulababy Wed 18-Aug-10 13:45:53

Lulu - I am a Claire; afaik it works perfectly fine on adlts - can honestly say that, in my 30s, it is working fine for me
I think Claire is still relatively popular in the US as a baby name.

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Wed 18-Aug-10 17:38:06

Hi it's Lulu (change of name) - no, I know it's fine on adults and people in their 30s - just find it a bit difficult to see it on an older woman - and I mean 60s/70s, but maybe it's because I'm in my 30s and I know people in their 30s called Claire - maybe when I'm a pensioner - it'll seem OK.

I don't think that made any sense at all did it? It just doesn't seem like an old lady's name to me.

maniacbug Thu 19-Aug-10 09:59:04

MrsvWoolf Agatha? Really? Rats. I thought DD was the only one in the whole wide world...

tattycoram Thu 19-Aug-10 12:25:44

YY Clara, we avoided Jack and I haven't met any in 3 1/2 years, not one

greythorne Thu 19-Aug-10 12:40:50

Tom / Thomas is v popular here
As are Max, Olivia, Freddie, Arthur, Freya and Ruby. Oh, and Sebastian. And Lily.

I predict a huge revival for Felix, it has already started here.

Does anyone know any Pablos?

McCrappy Thu 19-Aug-10 14:42:06

I know one Pablo.

flopsy1974 Thu 19-Aug-10 16:05:52

Bloody Lily - May/Mae/Mai. Sick of hearing it.

KittyBigglesworth Thu 19-Aug-10 22:28:51

Ruby seems to be everywhere and I predict that Tatiana will rise as a result of Carly Cole's daughter having that name.
George, Archie, Charlie, Jane, Theo, Chloe, Zoe and the '-ee ending with Mae as a middle name is boring in the extreme.

rusmum Fri 20-Aug-10 08:56:59

lucas, finlay aflie archie

evie ruby (BOO HOO) and florence

when i had my ruby 6 years ago thought it was just different enough- sadly NOT!

jellybeans Fri 20-Aug-10 16:29:16

Cooper
Archie
Riley
Edward
Zachary
Isaac

Connie
Beatrice

I can't see Joshua aging like someone said. Names like Riley, Rhys and Tyler will.

Cooper? Really!!

I know loads of Isabellas, I only know 1 Isla, didn't realise that was so popular. Common where I am, Sam/Samuel, Finlay, Joshua, Ellie, Lily. Max.

helenwombat Sat 21-Aug-10 12:33:31

Cooper was number 1 baby name in queensland last year. God knows why.
I know lots of baby avas, sophias, amelias, archies, harrisons & olivers.

ilovesprouts Sat 21-Aug-10 15:19:20

charlie/finlay/oliver

nearlymumofone Sat 21-Aug-10 16:39:29

Harry. I know three born this summer.

catinboots Sat 21-Aug-10 19:13:47

We loved George/Harry/Oliver/Alfie/Archie but decided they were too popular around here. I wanted Rufus but DH vetoed it. We settled on Hugo - and have yet to meet another.

My nan suggested Hugo to me this evening actually.

nymphadora Sat 21-Aug-10 22:27:43

Bollocks all our names for dc3 are on here. Better get thinking again! One we knew wascommonish amongst older boys but don't know any babiestocompare names

Jago.

When I had my Jago 5 months ago all the midwives gave me this face--->hmm and said they'd never heard of it.

When I popped into the unit a month later I was told 5 more had been born!

Just remembered Dylan also seems really popular

travellingrose Mon 23-Aug-10 11:49:46

Oliver, George, Finn, Oscar,
Imogen, Evie, Eva, Lola

bigbluebump Mon 23-Aug-10 12:28:17

Lots of names on here have already hugely popular and are already in the top 10 or so, like Oliver, Finn, Evie, Charlie etc.

Beanie10 Thu 30-Sep-10 19:08:07

I'm gutted to see Isla is so popular, we thought we'd picked a fairly under used name. Not sure we'll change our minds though coz we love it!

minipie Thu 30-Sep-10 19:15:58

Matilda.

MrsJohnDeere Thu 30-Sep-10 19:21:19

Benedict
Evie
Edie
Malachai
Violet
Alex

TheNextMrsDepp Thu 30-Sep-10 19:23:32

Ruby and Lola. Thousands of them.

MacMomo Tue 26-Oct-10 10:45:12

Beanie - totally gutted about Isla as well! My husband is Scottish and we agreed we would pick a Scottish name and Isla is our favourite but we thought it was sufficiently unusual. Now it is a celebrity name! Back to square one.

How about Morwenna? Not Scottish but Cornish and I only know of one.

nancydrewrocked Tue 26-Oct-10 14:28:06

Theo & Alexa seem very popular suddenly.

Lots of Freya's, milly's, Evies, Harry's and Finlay's

FindingMymOOOOOOOOjo Tue 26-Oct-10 17:13:10

Mia - seems to be loads of them out there

expectingno3 Tue 26-Oct-10 17:34:51

Loads of Marthas these days...

Faaamily Tue 26-Oct-10 18:46:39

Names that are creeping in more and more round here are:

Girls - Florence, Freya, Esme, Edie, Lola, Thalia

Boys - Archie, Leo, Theo

Elouise, Lila, Amy, Leo, Riley

BertieBasset Tue 26-Oct-10 19:27:49

Florence, Amelie, Isobel

Finn (and lots of derivatives), Rhys

Rhubarbgarden Tue 26-Oct-10 21:19:28

Isabella, Tilly, Thea, Imogen.

I don't know about boys - everyone seems to be having girls at the moment in my circle!

FrameyMcFrame Tue 26-Oct-10 22:19:15

Oh I know 2 Gabriels.
Eden
Callum
Anna
Dylan
Charlie
April

RockBat Tue 26-Oct-10 22:30:24

You're a bastard fickle lot! A couple of years back I predicted the rise of Judy/Judith and was laughed out of here. I think it's a terrific name.

MacMomo Wed 27-Oct-10 16:50:44

Does anyone know if there is a published register of names in Australia like there is here? Can't find one by googling it.

nancydrewrocked Wed 27-Oct-10 19:53:49

Having named three children "unusual" names prior to their exploding in popularity I consider myself well placed to choose the next popular names (which basically means anything I like which is on my list). So here goes:

Ivy and Jasper.

mark my words grin

ledkr Wed 27-Oct-10 19:58:12

nancy one of those is my fav not saying which but shhhhhhhhhhh, so far so good everyone hates it when i say it which is fine by me.When are you due?

nancydrewrocked Wed 27-Oct-10 20:05:23

They're both fab names, but I guarantee if I pick a name it'll be everywhere before the year is out. I mean I had a Lily when people still raised an eyebrow and said "gosh that is rather old fashioned" !

I'm due in March and just found out today that I am having a girl so really need to think hard about my choices confused .

ledkr Wed 27-Oct-10 20:09:49

I have a Kyle aged 24 and everyone said"what?" when he was born.Now dead common so know what you mean.
I am due in jan so maybe the first person to piss you off haha.

nancydrewrocked Wed 27-Oct-10 20:21:46

Wow big age gap (bet everyone says that too - see I am incapable of originality!)

Do you know what you are having?

kittya Thu 28-Oct-10 00:58:58

Sienna is popular. Joshua, always.

ledkr Thu 28-Oct-10 09:19:35

nancy yes i do a girl so that narrows it down for you to guess.Where did you get Ivy from? I first thought of it when watched the village years ago but wasnt planning to have any more.Something stops me using it tho im not sure why.I love the name coco but dh hates it and most of my other names.Having a 4d scan tomorrow so may get some inspiration when we see her?or may change to a boy and thats easy cos like Elijah.

nancydrewrocked Thu 28-Oct-10 09:30:13

ledkr I don't think I got the name from anywhere in particular but I think it is lovely, although I have had people say it has negative connotations re "posion ivy". I choose to ignore those comments grin

I like Coco as a nn for Cordelia which DH likes (although he doesn't like Coco itself)

Decisions decisions.

nancydrewrocked Thu 28-Oct-10 09:31:17

Oh and enjoy your 4D scan - I had some 4D scanning done yesterday as part of a specialist scan. The pics are amazing smile

Have a look at church coffee morning rotas, or the rotas for flower arranging. Usually older women, so you get:

Joan
Jean
Peggy
Helen
Anna
Caroline
Maria
Christine

DrMcDreamy Thu 28-Oct-10 09:45:28

Where do you look to see how many people named their DC's the same as your DC's. My two have fairly unusual yet normal names so I was just wondering how popular they actually were. Therefore I am predicting a rise in Joely and Rory!

frakkinstein Thu 28-Oct-10 09:57:40

Florence, Cecily, Isabelle, Lily and the ubiquitous Eva/vie, Grace and Ruby

Boys I have to think because everyone I know seems to have chosen very unusual names, usually explained by a family connection. I know 2 Fredericks, lots of Oscar, Thomas and Harry but they've been around a while.

It's bloody hard picking a name which doesn't date you. My parents managed brilliantly but my 2 fave names ever are popular/rising.

Galena Thu 28-Oct-10 14:00:56

DD (Skye) was given her name for a particular reason. Most people think it's unusual and we haven't met another, but it was number 71 on the top 100 for last year!

As for popular names:
Finlay, Oliver, Harry, Joshua
Matilda, Florence, Emilia/Amelia, Evie

qumquat Thu 28-Oct-10 16:48:12

I think every name dates you to some degree. My name is a 'classic', but I've yet to meet anyone under 18 called it. Basically nobody calls their kids the names of their own generation, so if you really want to be different right now you should call your child Sarah, Claire, Victoria, Mark, Jonathan, David etc.

ledkr Thu 28-Oct-10 19:19:40

nancy i also like Elsie so have been asked if i have a vintage coronation street fixation haha. Like Ayda too.You just know you will like something different as you leave the reg office.

sleepyhorse Thu 28-Oct-10 19:51:27

Florence and Amelie

Max and Harry

ilovesprouts Thu 28-Oct-10 21:19:59

luca/finley/charlie

thell Fri 29-Oct-10 11:37:12

I don't know that many babies at the moment, but the last four I know born in the last 18 months are Alma, Matilda, Penelope and Niamh.

DD (4) has a 'normal' but uncommon name, which I love smile
There were a lot of Millys around at the same time - in our monkey music group for a while there was a Milly, Emily, Amelie and Amelia, all known as Milly!
I was surprised to discover quite a few Darcies aswell though.

ilovesprouts Fri 29-Oct-10 17:34:47

not heard my sons or grandsons name much ,but im sure they is some around

PutTheKettleOn Fri 29-Oct-10 18:49:06

Every baby i meet lately seems to be George or Martha

rachel1970 Fri 29-Oct-10 18:52:23

I've met a few Quentins and Stanleys recently, as well as Marthas and Florence. So the 'granny chic' trend is definately continuing.

wemburykitten Sat 30-Oct-10 13:28:34

India, Lola, Stanley, Grace, Ruby, Elodie, Clemantine, Lota and Lottie!

wemburykitten Sat 30-Oct-10 13:29:53

Bos names beginning with E too- Evan and Eliott.Seem very popular recently.

MelinaM Sun 31-Oct-10 00:00:20

Amelia/Emilia, Isobel ..yes still, Josh ..ditto, and Max!

Dreya Fri 12-Nov-10 21:52:36

I know four baby Sienna's. Two of them have Rose as a middle name, and the other two have May/Mae. And one has a brother called Jude. My hairdresser told me that a client of hers recently called her son Alfie Jude. Oliver is also very popular. I hear it all the time. And Ella. My goodness there are loads of those. I am struggling with choosing a name for my first child due in Feb. I used to love Isabelle. I like Sophia and Lucia. Anybody hearing those names more and more?

The last four baby girls born to my friends in the last three months have all been called Jessica!
DS1 in at pre-school with four Harrys and three Alfies.

Stardown Sat 13-Nov-10 01:42:10

I really hope the 2 possibilities we have for DS won't shoot up in popularity but I have a sneaky feeling they will.

I know of 3 Noah's born within the last couple of months.

Boys:

Noah
George
Harry
Thomas
Oliver
Finn
Archie / Alfie
Edward

Girls:

Florence
Lily
Evie
Caroline
Amelia
Elizabeth
Talia
Mia
Isabelle/a

Stardown Sat 13-Nov-10 01:47:02

FWIW the last 13 babies born that I know - all are under 5 months...

Edward (Teddy)
Noah x3
Finn
Rhys
Lewis
Alexander
Robin

Kaiya
Amelia
Abbie
Elizabeth

onimolap Sat 13-Nov-10 12:26:51

Imogen, Sophie, Nancy

Sam, Felix, Luke/Luca

FancyALittle Mon 15-Nov-10 18:42:10

Ava, Evie and Eve.

When I was 15 I decided I wanted to call my daughter Ava. 10 years on, with babies on the (not too distant) horizon and it's everywhere.

Gutted.

FattyArbuckel Mon 15-Nov-10 18:58:50

All the popstar names are big round here:
Pixie
Justin
Gaga
Florence
Cheryl
Nadine
Rihanna
Usher
Katie
Miley
Beyonce
Trey
Tiny
Marshall
Susan
Fatty

Komondor Tue 16-Nov-10 09:23:59

Girls:

Bella
Ella
Maisie
Olivia
Amelia
Georgia
Matilda

Boys:

William
Archie
Jack
Jacob
Theo
Edward

mopsyflopsy Tue 16-Nov-10 10:45:03

A lot of the names mentioned here are already mega popular... e.g. Olivia, Jack etc. It is only a question of time before they start declining in popularity again.

Isn't the question about names that are BECOMING more popular?

Fatty shock, really?

Komondor Tue 16-Nov-10 12:11:13

Well, a friend called her daughter Mabel and another Gwendolyn, and a recent boys name used is Eric. But apart from the unusual old ladies and old men names, its still Amlia's etc around me.

Komondor Tue 16-Nov-10 12:14:45

Amelia's even.

DD is five, and she's Evelyn, though we did consider Evie. Kinda glad we didn't, as there do seem to be lots of Evie's around recently.

The children I know born this year are called: Carmen, Jackson, Max, Emma and Joseph.

Am pregnant with DC2 and have NO idea for names at the moment! Though, may book mark this and scrap off all the "popular" ones from any short list.

fedupofnamechanging Tue 16-Nov-10 13:59:40

Elf do people call your DD Evie. My Dd is Evangeline, but I am struggling to get people to call her that rather than Evie (which I like, but it is not her name)

meg89 Wed 17-Nov-10 23:07:54

is ted/teddy really becoming much more popular?? Had it in mind for no.2..

cityangel Wed 17-Nov-10 23:19:50

Boys
Harry, Joseph, Samuel

Girls
Annabel(le), Isobel, Ava, Jessica, Grace

cityangel Wed 17-Nov-10 23:23:12

Oh yes & Sophie/ Sophia are huge in East London

MelinaM Thu 18-Nov-10 00:23:08

Here in Bristol I've noticed quite a few of the following: Boys Oscar, Alfie, Olly, Noah, Will, Max, Finn,

Girls Esme, Amelia/Emilia, Ava, Ruby, Isabelle/Isobel, Sienna, Alexis, Maddie, Sophia/Sofia, Jasmine

The other 'cutsie' names of the moment also continue to be popular -Archie, Harry, Josh, Sam, Stan, Tobey, Tommy. Evie, Lily, Mai/Mae, Millie, Maisie, Poppy, Rosie, Georgie ...etc,etc!!

MacMomo Sun 28-Nov-10 11:09:55

Lately in my area:

Oliver
Oliver
Charlie
Edward
Yolo

Sophie
Olivia
Olivia
Olivia
Millie

Here (Ireland) it appears to be mostly Conor for boys at the minute. Also, Oisín seems to be getting really popular (so dh was telling me last night judging by how many in his work are naming new babies this) which I have to admit, makes me a little sad as we named ds this at the start of the year and thought there were'nt many at all!!!.

Girls Hannah, Lily, Sophie etc..

MelinaM Sun 28-Nov-10 12:07:28

...I'm adding Felix and Maddie to the list! x

APixieInMyTea Sun 28-Nov-10 13:52:20

Ds1's name has only been mentioned twice which I'm surprised about as I know 3 all the same age.

Ds2's name hasn't been mentioned at all which is making me feel a whole lot better about his name which I don't like.

My theoretical dd's name hasn't been mentioned at all so very happy about that.

Hmmmm, names growing in popularity around here Stanley and Reuben for boys and Erin and Poppy for girls.

We have loads of William, Henry, Harry's around here as well as Isabelle, Ruby and Mia.

I know a lovely 2yr old Stephanie which I haven't heard around for a while and a Daniel which doesn't seem very popular anymore.

NinkyNonker Mon 29-Nov-10 21:25:49

Our DD is Rose, we haven't met another. As a middle name, or Rosie perhaps.

Apart from that this year I have met:
- Evie x 2
- Eva
- Eve
- Ava x 2
- Alice
- Milly
- Molly
- Amelie (All of the above in 1 postnatal group!)
- Emily
- Seren
- Grace
- Oliver x 2
- Milo
- Harry
- Jack x 2
- Alfie
- Rowan (boy)

NinkyNonker Mon 29-Nov-10 21:26:17

Oooh, and a Mia.

NinkyNonker Mon 29-Nov-10 21:28:12

Bum, forgot Ella, Elizabeth and Lily. Been a busy year round here!

5GoldenFimbos Tue 30-Nov-10 14:06:28

Hannah
Evie
Eva
Ava

William
Henry
Thomas
Aidan

anabelish Thu 02-Dec-10 16:27:36

just to show there's nothing new under the sun, i'm Annabelle May, i have an Alexander Malachai who is 20 yrs old. A Felix Oliver who is 9 and the bun in the oven is going to be called... - no, i won't tell but i haven't seen it in any of the choices so far...still, its not a 'new' name or a fashionable one. round here its Bailey, Barclay, Ethan and Finn for boys. Ellie, Mia, Maya and Freya for girls

swanandduck Sat 04-Dec-10 22:26:57

At home in Dublin at the moment and the place is swarming with little Ellas, Sophies, Maisies and Chloes. For boys it's Conor, Jack and Tom.

sillybillymummy Sun 19-Dec-10 20:39:20

I am surprised not more people have mentioned Alexander, as its soooo popular here. Every baby boy is being called Alex / Alexander / Xander / Zander or as a second name.

It's crazy!

Also - i have a Henry, and have met 3 new babies called Henry at toddlers etc lately.

orangutangerine Sun 19-Dec-10 20:55:55

I named my DD Eva 2 years ago after my great grandmother. People said 'that's unusual' but it's been mentioned many times here. I'm gutted really wink. I'm still hoping that it's the slightly less common version of Evie/Ava as I've met a few of those but no other Eva's yet...

chelleyve Wed 29-Dec-10 09:45:36

Oliver, Ava, Olivia, Isla, Lois, Jack

Astrophe Wed 29-Dec-10 10:19:44

macmoma - try googling 'births, deaths and marriages australia', they keep lists there.

batinthebelfry Wed 19-Jan-11 13:34:10

Just found this thread and wanted to post because of the name Bertie. I now know two newborns named Bertie.
Strange that there are two (and that both parents don't know each other)

Due to the film, The The King's Speech perhaps..?

sophiesmummie Wed 19-Jan-11 13:52:11

Is Bertie short for Herbert, Albert or Bertram, os something else..?

I wonder if Bertha is also coming back in fashion then?

batinthebelfry Wed 19-Jan-11 19:04:12

sophiesmummie, Bertie as a full name is on one BC. I will check on the other Bertie...his Mum is a friend of a friend.
I didn't think of Bertram, only Albert came to mind ....I should have been nosey and asked

batinthebelfry Wed 19-Jan-11 19:12:54

I hear lot of Eve/Evie but that would have made them popular before 2010 as they are walking around on their own feet now

Alfie and Oscar are on a few lists. Not sure for girls - Ruby/Poppy/Daisy?
Grace seems to be the new Louise (for middle names).

Would be interested to know what names could become popular...

onimolap Wed 19-Jan-11 19:35:27

Round here, the popular names for girls are Sophie, Nancy, Hannah, Evie, Lily-(something)' (something)-Mae and Imogen (which seems to have completely supplanted Isabelle).

Boys: Riley, Harry, Oscar, George.

christmascrackers Sat 29-Jan-11 18:17:47

Boys I know recently - Milo, Toby, Thomas, Joseph, Simeon, Angus, Freddie, Nicholas, Harry, Zeb

Girls - Scarlett, Isabella/belle, Camilla, Eloise, Emily, Phoebe x 2, Milly, Amelia, Mia, Mollie

flower38 Sat 29-Jan-11 19:24:27

Oliver, Olivia ,Sophie Isabella know loads of these. names i think becoming more popular here are seth, xander,florence,helena.

summerinthesunshine Mon 14-Feb-11 13:26:22

Zac, Zack, Zak, Zach in every form but rarely Zachary. Nearly every family I know has a Zack and usually a Max to go with them.

womma Mon 14-Feb-11 21:52:23

There's loads of Charlies and Ellas where I live, and lots of hyphenated girls' names like Ella- Rose and Lily-May (which are jolly wanky in my opinion)

Haven't met a Cedric so far

Stars22 Mon 14-Feb-11 22:05:56

Rosie, Isla, Katie, Ella, Amelia, Eva, Ava, Ruby, Lola

Jack, Archie, Alfie, Matthew, James

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now