Worse child's name EVER

(793 Posts)
CupcakesHay Thu 29-Jul-10 18:32:54

Me and my Dh were talkign about awful baby names, and i thought I'd share.

I used to work in a passport office - and we had an application for a brother and sister....

She was called Florence-Jolly (yes, with the hyphen) and he was called Lionheart! LIONHEART! grin

Still makes me laugh... poor love!

Who's heard of worse?

TigersChick Fri 30-Jul-10 08:39:47

anonymousbird - A friend's dad is called Richard Mussel - and choses to be know as Dick ...

Just to show that unusual names are nothing new: DH's nan is called Clipsy. She hates it as has gone by the name Peggy since she was 16.

On the twins front ... I have come across 2 sets of twins from opposite ends of the spectrum. A pair of boys called Andre and Andrew and a pair of girls called Emily and Lambretta ...

I agree that it's all a matter of personal preference but sometimes I do wonder if people went out deliberately to be controversial.

tortoiseonthehalfshell Fri 30-Jul-10 08:41:40

I have come across a Possum and a Digger, as well as a Norman Nosurname (really), and I know a bloke called Sundance.

LuluF Fri 30-Jul-10 08:44:18

I knew someone who changed his name from something very ordinary to Cisco Horsetrough.

CardyMow Fri 30-Jul-10 08:51:57

I know someone who called her son Sage, one of her daughters Gaia, and for the life of me I can't remember the other girl's name, but it was more unusual than the other two! I also know someone who called her girl twins Chanelle and Lambrini (I kid ye not).

NOTHEROLDIE Fri 30-Jul-10 09:04:44

Sam and Ella. true

zozzle Fri 30-Jul-10 10:26:19

I came across a little Pagan once - not great if she later decides to become a Christian!!

CreepyFunbags Fri 30-Jul-10 10:48:32

I like St John! And Detroit is quite cool too.

CreepyFunbags Fri 30-Jul-10 10:51:55

St John is an old name, C19th.

QueenOfFlamingEverything Fri 30-Jul-10 10:54:15

Oh this is the thread for my personal favourite - my friend once met a traveller couple who called their first DS Boy and their second DS Newboy grin

I always wonder what came next - Anotherboy, followed by Toomanyboysalready perhaps?

MathsMadMummy Fri 30-Jul-10 10:57:30

maybe one day they ended up with Finallyagirlatlast

montmartre Fri 30-Jul-10 10:58:46

zozzle I actually know a child named Christian Pagan (fname sname)... v odd choice of forename if you ask me!

I also know one called [forename] Blue Wale... obv parents were having a laugh.

vegasmum Fri 30-Jul-10 11:01:33

Message withdrawn

vegasmum Fri 30-Jul-10 11:03:18

Message withdrawn

uptooearly Fri 30-Jul-10 11:04:00

A friend of mine once had a colleague whose daughter was called Vivi Zahara Boggs.

And another friend knew someone whose surname was Small, and was married to a Mr Rasch, called their daughter Amber and double-barrelled their surnames for hers. A Small-Rasch.

And my sister knew a Greek-Cypriot boy whose Greek name was Michalis Michail, but translated into English it became Michael Michael.

Ewe Fri 30-Jul-10 11:07:22

I know of a baby Nirvana, bit out there but for them it really works. Imagine she gets a lot of hmm faces when she introduces him though.

uptooearly Fri 30-Jul-10 11:07:29

And I once read about an American woman who had named her children Anthony, Antony, Antonia, Antoinette, Antoine, Antonio, etc.

I watched Jeremy Kyle yesterday and the first segment was a feud between two brothers named Fox and..... Dave!

I couldn't work out who had the worst deal really.

mamaloco Fri 30-Jul-10 11:10:40

Pecabo (girl, pronounced pick-a-boo) confused

MathsMadMummy Fri 30-Jul-10 11:16:42

I wonder if anybody names their kids after cartoon characters? my DD's favourites: Peppa and Pocoyo, perhaps?

PenguinNZ Fri 30-Jul-10 11:18:45

My GDad was called Stuart Stewart. Went to school with a Russell Sprout.

I do like unusual names, Sundance for example is fantastic, but have a similar policy to Vega's interview one. I used to be an HR bod in a bank and would think that if I got a CV with the name XXXX, what would I think?

In the space of less than an hour, I once received a fax from Elvis and an email from Jesus. Was my fave hour at work ever! grin

F'Ann-Jo

MathsMadMummy Fri 30-Jul-10 11:21:20

my friend is Aaron Elvis, and IIRC his brother's middle name is Presley

smugaboo Fri 30-Jul-10 11:22:41

I thought St John was an old fashioned English name? And Judge? Judge Reinhold (Beverly Hills Cop).

But I have the best one. La-a. Guess how you pronounce it?

uptooearly Fri 30-Jul-10 11:26:38

My policy on naming my children is that their names need to allow them to make convincing rock stars, judges or vets.

I think I've struck the right balance....!

Loujalou Fri 30-Jul-10 11:27:16

I know a lot of "Michael Michael"s but then I am Greek and they name them after their fathers! Wouldn't say its the worst name ever but might explain the "Alexander Alexander"!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now