Worse child's name EVER

(793 Posts)
CupcakesHay Thu 29-Jul-10 18:32:54

Me and my Dh were talkign about awful baby names, and i thought I'd share.

I used to work in a passport office - and we had an application for a brother and sister....

She was called Florence-Jolly (yes, with the hyphen) and he was called Lionheart! LIONHEART! grin

Still makes me laugh... poor love!

Who's heard of worse?

MummyLovesSadie Thu 29-Jul-10 19:37:18

One of my Facebook friends is Wayne Ankers! grin

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 29-Jul-10 19:41:12

Tresemme

Tresemme??? Disney and Dolce and Gabanna??? shock shock shock Oh my God!!!.

I know an Alexander Alexander, ok not the worst but seriously, how completely unimaginative would you have to be to be that mans parents? "I know! how about Alexander?"

Badgerwife Thu 29-Jul-10 20:15:00

I've heard of a Clinty, so called after the world famous "clinty swood"...

IlooklikeGrotbagstoday Thu 29-Jul-10 20:27:27

I heard a De Niro being yelled out in the park yesterday. Looking for inspiration for boys names at the mo but definately won't be adding that to the list.

elainesdaughter Thu 29-Jul-10 20:43:44

Girl next bed to me in hospital when I had ds called her baby girl Cissy-Sparkel.

CupcakesHay Thu 29-Jul-10 20:46:48

Dh just reminded me of a guy we used to know, who wass in his 60s. He was one of 12 - and his dad was called Lawrence, so he was Lawrence Junior. Then the 2nd to last kid (bizarrely) was ALSO called Lawrence, but was called Larry - so two lawrences in same family.

Also knew a David Davies...

BikeRunSki Thu 29-Jul-10 20:48:07

Polaris. In softplay centre about a year ago.
Not sure if she had any siblings - Trident perhaps?

PaulineCampbellJones Thu 29-Jul-10 20:51:39

Holli-Tot with sisters called Heidi-Boo and Hobi.

IsThatTheTime Thu 29-Jul-10 20:54:10

Cupcakes I work with a David Davies and once dated a (different) David Davies. I think it might be a Welsh thing?

Whelk Thu 29-Jul-10 20:56:05

These threads always come across as snobby and 'aren't the working classes funny with their name choices'. All a bit of a cringe for me!

BellevilleRendezvous Thu 29-Jul-10 21:01:35

ok I saw one in the Daily Telegraph the other day - Loveday Celestine Primrose Kennedy (Kennedy was not a surname or the mother's maiden name). All the names separately ok, but a bit much for one child I thought.

CupcakesHay Thu 29-Jul-10 21:02:09

Whelk - Florence-Jolly and Lionheart were from a very posh Britihs-Swiss banking family...

usualsuspect Thu 29-Jul-10 21:06:39

Elsie/Ethel/Alfred/George/Charles/Arthur take your pick

ChateauRouge Thu 29-Jul-10 21:08:14

I know a Starsky and a Little Twinkle, and a CalvinKlein [sic].

MunchMummy Thu 29-Jul-10 21:09:37

Nelson and Yorick

brockleybelle Thu 29-Jul-10 21:11:41

I worked on Summer camp in America and there were two sisters, Cinnamon and Ginger. Poor loves.

TwoIfBySea Thu 29-Jul-10 21:14:34

I was at school with Robert Robertson we nicknamed him Ditto.

As mum of twins I did my best to steer clear of the matching names but I do know (as in actually know rather than heard of) a Mercedes and Portia (I really hope they spelled it that way but I fear not!)

Wolf makes me think of Gladiators!

tattycoram Thu 29-Jul-10 21:14:43

I don't think it's necessarily snobbery. Very middle class children I have known with funny names include Gandalf, Bofar, a whole family of planets and Geronimo.

Chateau, I met a small Starsky in a playground recently.

Eglu Thu 29-Jul-10 21:17:04

When DS1 was at nursery there was a Quaid.

sonniebonnie Thu 29-Jul-10 21:19:27

I actually think that a lot of names on this thread are nicer and more interesting than the boring Jack/Alfie & co.

We all have different tastes. But why the need to make fun of other peoples' choices?

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 29-Jul-10 21:22:40

but it's OK to call other people's choices "boring"? wink

ChateauRouge Thu 29-Jul-10 21:23:45

tatty- there must be more than one then, because I live in a different city to you [puts on Advanced Search SKills badge]

sonniebonnie Thu 29-Jul-10 21:25:37

No, you're right, it's not ok to call a name boring. But it's not quite as bad as calling a name "the WORST name ever".

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 29-Jul-10 21:30:07

Well, I think if I had chosen a really unusual name, I would be fully prepared for some to love it and some to hate it, it wouldn't bother me if someone thought it was the worst name ever, if I liked it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now