Scottish Boys Name?

(24 Posts)
guernseygirl Mon 19-Jul-10 16:27:12

Hi,

Is anyone else out there bandying around scottish names?

I'm welsh by birth (family welsh but was brought up in zambia, so no real ties) and my husband is a handsome scot.

We like Aiden, Rhodri and Gethen from the welsh side and Innes from the scottish side.
So far, way more welsh influence than scots!

Any opinions welcome.
Thanks.

Fimbo Mon 19-Jul-10 16:31:31

Struan

Campbell

Calum

Ross

Finlay

Kerr

Angus

Blair

Duncan?

valiumSingleton Mon 19-Jul-10 16:36:54

Gregor
Bruce
Fergus
Donald

emmyloo2 Mon 19-Jul-10 16:37:34

Hamish!!!

I love the name Hamish. And Angus. The rest I am not keen on but Hamish and Angus are gorgeous names.

expatinscotland Mon 19-Jul-10 16:38:11

I have a Struan.

guernseygirl Mon 19-Jul-10 16:55:08

Thanks guys! Shall run them past my husband tonight and see which ones he's keen on.

He was a big fan of Struan and I think it's lovely, but it reminds me of Stuart (an ex). Luckily, I don't have a long and complicated dating history, so no other scottish names ruled out!

hhg Mon 19-Jul-10 17:19:33

Blair
Brodie
Callum
Cameron
Callan
Campbell
Crawford
Ewan/Euan
Finn
Finlay
Gordon
Hamish
Kyle
Lachlan
Murdo
Nairn
Ruaridh
Rory
Scott

waitingforbedtime Mon 19-Jul-10 17:27:57

My favourites are

Lachlan

Innes

Ruaraidh

Brodie

Cailean

expatinscotland Mon 19-Jul-10 17:44:36

We are in the W. Highlands and it's said more like 'Stroon' through here.

There's a Lachlan in his playgroup.

An Innes in the girls' primary school.

Also a Gregor. Plenty of Camerons and Callums, too.

Not any Campbells, as it is a common surname in these parts - the region's duke being a Campbell.

Some Aidans, Finlays and Duncans.

waitingforbedtime Mon 19-Jul-10 17:47:22

Im in central scotland but would also pronounce Struan as Stroon maybe more like Stroo'n.

expatinscotland Mon 19-Jul-10 18:29:45

Yep, that's it 'Stroo'n'

There's an MSP from Ayrshire whose forename is Struan, but you don't hear it over much.

It is the word for stream.

There is a hamlet in Highland Perthshire called Struan, and next to it, Old Struan.

When we were overnighting at a hotel next to Glasgow Airport before a flight to America, DH and I met two men from Lewis.

The way they said it was lovely.

waitingforbedtime Mon 19-Jul-10 18:34:11

imho the way anyone from lewis says anything is lovely!!!

CheerfulYank Mon 19-Jul-10 22:01:27

I really like Lachlan as well.

scaussie Tue 20-Jul-10 00:05:19

My faves are Magnus and Angus for Scottish boys names.

I think we are missing...

Islands/Landmarks that folk use,,,
Lewis
Harris
Arran
Munro
Craig
Kyle

Tradional...
Fraser
Murdoch
Ruaridh (pr. Rury)
Niall (pr. Neil)
Iain (pr. Ian)
Alastair
Alexander
Callum
Douglas
Dugald
William

Surnames as 1st names
Bruce
Logan
Laurie
Cameron
Wallace
Mack
Keir
Scott

scaussie Tue 20-Jul-10 00:07:31

waitingforbedtime - totally agree...it is so wonderful to hear and magical.

have a look athe list I put on the "does anyone speak gaelic" thread

guernseygirl Sat 31-Jul-10 22:32:00

Thanks ladies.

I'm converted when it comes to Struan. The Stroon pronounciation makes it much more appealing now it doesn't have ex boyfriend connotations.

Is there a preference between Struan, Angus and Innes?

Waitingforbedtime - how do you pronounce cailean?

giraffesCanDanceInTheSun Sat 31-Jul-10 22:51:34

I like innes best, then struan. If we are trying to help you decide then imo Angus seems harsh, its the G in the middle I think its like An*g*us and theres the almost looking like anus thing too.

expatinscotland Sat 31-Jul-10 22:57:07

One of DH's mate's partner just had a baby boy and they named him Logan.

I had fancied naming a boy that before I even came to Scotland, because I onced lived on Logan Street and it was the time of my life.

But DS looked more a Struan. He was always Struan, even before he was born.

He was delivered by this lovely wee Irishman who said it just as lovely as it's said here, 'Hallo, Struan.'

jujuu Sat 31-Jul-10 22:59:09

I like Angus from those three. Love Gus as a nickname too

expatinscotland Sat 31-Jul-10 23:02:30

I haven't really encountered any boys called this here, I think maybe Gus is more an English nickname for it.

SkintHeather Sat 31-Jul-10 23:19:45

+1 for Hamish! Lovely name!

I'm always mindful of the fact that you may think that you're choosing a classic name which won't be too common but everyone else is thinking the same thing as well. But if you do choose something too unusual then is the child going to find it a burden by being teased or having to spell it correctly everytime he or she is asked? Not to mention issues of privacy ...

At least with classic Scottish names though, they'll never go out of use. Except perhaps Archibald ... but that brings up another thing I've been wondering about. Do names come back in vogue after ancestors with those names pass out of living memory?

guernseygirl Sun 01-Aug-10 11:27:42

Expatinscotland - you're right, maybe best to have a handful of favourite names and then see what he suits best when he arrives. Struan is a very musical name...my current winner!

Giraffe - I didn't see the anus thing, it made me smile!

Agreed that names are a tough area. The baby doesn't get a say in it, so it's the parents personality driving the choice. However, they can always do a zowie bowie and change when a teenager! Poor things....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now