Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

The MN Star - Photo Tutorial

(56 Posts)
PurplePidjin Wed 08-Aug-12 14:04:13

This pattern is copyrighted to www.woollyhugs.com

Please feel free to use this pattern for personal and charity. If you use it for personal gain, karma will bite you on the arse.

PurplePidjin Wed 08-Aug-12 14:04:58

Chain 4 and slip stitch to join

PurplePidjin Wed 08-Aug-12 14:08:25

10 dc into middle of circle

PurplePidjin Wed 08-Aug-12 14:10:31

Ch 3, sk 1 st, dc into next st (the one with the bodkin in)

PurplePidjin Wed 08-Aug-12 14:13:34

Do this 5 times, one for each petal. The last dc will be worked in to the same stitch you made the first ch 3

PurplePidjin Wed 08-Aug-12 14:19:12

In the loop you made in the previous round, work dc, tc, extc, tc, dc. Dc in the dc of the previous round. Repeat to make each arm of the star. Sl st in final dc .

If you want a flower, finish here. I'll add instructions for a double flower later grin

PurplePidjin Wed 08-Aug-12 14:27:29

Dc in next 2 sts (up the hill)

Picot in next st (summit)

Dc in next 2 sts (down the hill)

Sl st in next (valley)

Repeat around, finish

thanks

Somersaults Wed 08-Aug-12 14:57:38

Thank you smile

I think part of my problem may be understanding what dc and tc are in english instructions! For dc do you yo before you go into the loop/stitch? And for tc yo, yo then through the loop/stitch? Or have I just described tc and extc?

SoupDragon Wed 08-Aug-12 14:59:03

UK => US

DC => SC
TC => DC

SoupDragon Wed 08-Aug-12 14:59:45

You've described the US versions of DC and TC

Somersaults Wed 08-Aug-12 15:53:56

So what is a uk sc then?

SoupDragon Wed 08-Aug-12 16:00:56

There isn't one!

Madness.

Somersaults Wed 08-Aug-12 19:00:20

I hate to admit it but the US terminology makes much more sense...

SoupDragon Wed 08-Aug-12 19:02:21

Me too traitor!

PurplePidjin Wed 08-Aug-12 19:04:53

UK works for me because it describes how many times the yarn goes over the hook grin

This thread could be written in Chinese for all the sense that it makes to me, but I do think the star looks great and I am in awe of all you crafty ladies.

nickelbarapasaurus Thu 09-Aug-12 10:52:39

UK SC is a slip stitch.

SoupDragon Thu 09-Aug-12 11:43:15

No it isn't I'm afraid - a UK slip stitch is a US slip stitch grin I try not to think about it TBH!

PurplePidjin Thu 09-Aug-12 12:35:50

Has anyone actually tested it yet?!

It might only work for me <wibble>

Somersaults Thu 09-Aug-12 12:44:09

I was going to try it yesterday but got caught in a tangle with that heart design and my star stitch knitting.

SoupDragon Thu 09-Aug-12 12:48:34

Erm... no blush I've been sidetracked by the whole US/UK thing.

I can do Chain 4 and slip stitch to join but then I'm lost! blush I think I'll stick with granny squares for a while longer...

It looks fab though. smile

PurplePidjin Thu 09-Aug-12 13:21:36

Somersaults, i hopefully just unravelled that one a bit on the other thread smile

grin Soupy

Joyful, try it - search youtube or ask if you need stuff explained. It's supposed to be beginner-friendly...

I think my problem is twofold. 1) I don't really understand all the terminology and abbreviations (although I get sl st, dc and tc) and 2) unless someone actually shows me I'm lost. YouTube has been invaluable while teaching myself to knit!

I shall pester a friend to show me how to do this sometime, then I'll be ok. smile

PurplePidjin Thu 09-Aug-12 13:41:15

I have faith in you, Joyful, give it a try grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now