We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Really need birthday cake help!

(17 Posts)

DD1 is 4 on monday. She is having a party on Tuesday so I need 2 cakes. She has requested a Lunar Jim cakehmm
I have neither the time nor the inclination to make her a super duper decorated cake this time round but want them to be impressive, (but smallgrin)

I have bought a Lunar Jim standing/sitting 5ish inch figure to save me making a fondant Jim but am now at a complete loss wtf to do with him!
And any ideas for a simple but impressive cake for her birthday day would be appreciated!
I can do cake, I just can't be doing with it right now.

shockers Thu 04-Feb-10 20:02:42

Had to google Lunar Jim!

Could you round off the top of a sandwich cake and ice in yellow with discs of darker yellow icing for the craters, then stick Jim on top?
The image I found depicted Jim on a yellow moon.

I know shockers, he is on ridiculously early on the weekend when I managed to sky + one episode.
She got obsessed when MIL bought her a book as part of a joblot set from teh Mirror, it has literally fallen apartgrin

That's along the lines of what I was thinking. I bought some shiny pebbly type cake decorations to pile about like rocks. Would him just standing there look a bit weird though? What cna I make him 'interact' with.

<<snort>>

no it'll be fine!

I have loads of white icing and colours so will make it dingy yellow (nice) and rings or marzipan under the icing to make it crater like...then Jim can be examining shiny moon rocks piled in craters. <<overthinks>>

What about other cake for her actual birthday day?

just make a big chocolate one. yum yum

It's not very festivew though is itgrin
I make choco cakes aaaaaall the time!

no, it's not at all. but you could ice her age on it. and stick a candle on and it'll be fine :-D

cilitbang Thu 04-Feb-10 20:45:15

does [[ http://coolest-birthday-cakes.shippony.com/images/characters/lunar-jim/lunar-jim-cake-01.jpg this]] help?

cilitbang Thu 04-Feb-10 20:46:34

oops I mean this blush

explanation here

cilitbang Thu 04-Feb-10 20:48:28

I have seen that first one cilit but I don't have time to make any other fondant figures, buying JIm took long enoughgrin
DD1 has seen that cake though, so whatever I do has to look better.

DH has just pointed out I have candles that spell her name and a number 4 so we aregoing to do a plainey cake with candles in. DD1 doesn't do 'sticky' so needs to be fondant icing, not sticky.

Downdog Fri 05-Feb-10 10:03:12

for birthday, why not chocolate cake decorated quickly & easily with sweets, berries or flowers?

Downdog Fri 05-Feb-10 10:06:46

Just googled Luna Jim - it would be pretty easy to make the rocket for the cake - just bake rectangle cake & make a paper template to cut around the shapes. Join shapes together & ice with red buttercream & maybe licorice straps/strips around outline. Then LJ could stand on top?

PlumBumMum Fri 05-Feb-10 10:16:14

Hey Jack just do a big round moon, craters etc, and ice your board dark blue and dust with sparkles
plonk Jim on top grin

Downdog, I think that's what I am going to do, any excuse to buy the 3 for a quid bags of sweetsgrin
I really can't do anything too techincal as we have no clue what is happening one day to the next with MIL being seriously ill 150 miles away, any moment we might have to up sticks and go up there so needs to be easily portable, and that's why I don't have time for fannying with fondantgrin

Loving 'plonk' Is that a technical term...?

Bollocks, just googled for rocket images (I haven't ever really watched it) and found this
Now wondering if I could make that in time...standing up with JIm in front...bugger, damn you Google!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now