We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Im having a go at.....

(95 Posts)
jayzmummy Fri 01-Jul-05 11:34:18

building my own website!!!

Its fairly easy to do.

What do you think?

jayzmummy Tue 05-Jul-05 19:44:36

The website is free if you agree to the smallest site....which I have ATM...fine to start off with. The 9.99 was to buy my domain name. The free site addy is OK but I wanted one that was easier to use.

jayzmummy Tue 05-Jul-05 19:48:40

Nightynight \link{http://www.littlecottagecrafts.co.uk/ try this}

Not that there is an awful lot to see just yet!!!!

jayzmummy Tue 05-Jul-05 19:49:30
Whizzz Tue 05-Jul-05 19:51:39

Looking good ! I like the colours

Carolinett Tue 05-Jul-05 20:43:23

So how do you market yourself. will you appear on google if someone did a search on handmade cards?

champs Tue 05-Jul-05 20:45:52

fine thanks Dingle!!

Carolinett -- fine thank you hun, where've you been? made any more cards?

jayzmummy -- it is very tempting but also scary!! I do admire you.

Carolinett Tue 05-Jul-05 20:51:31

Hi Champ
Made one or two, been that depressed I've just been buying of Ebay spent a bloody fortune
Can't afford to be depressed anymore will have to start making more cards to sell

champs Tue 05-Jul-05 20:56:08

sorry you've been depressed. good idea to make some money back with some cards, you have a very nice style so wont be hard at all.

jenkel Tue 05-Jul-05 21:00:00

Love the site, hope you get lots of enquries from it.

Carolinett Tue 05-Jul-05 21:02:55

I'm not boasting but my DH is buying me one of these for my birthday not this one just put this link to show you what I'm on about I am so lucky this is instead of the lamp thing from lakeland that you put on your knee.So girls I might have a secondhand sizzix and and a super dopper light box for sale thats if the thing does want it says it does
have a look atthis

champs Tue 05-Jul-05 21:27:45

boast away, looks fab!!

Carolinett Tue 05-Jul-05 21:44:30

I'll let you if it's any good when it arrives.
Anyway I want to know more about the website Jazzymummy designing I think it's great.

jayzmummy Tue 05-Jul-05 23:29:22

Champs....to appear on google and the other thousand or so serach engines you have to pay about £70 for a listing....as Ive spent far too many pennies ATM I havent gone for this option YET

The site has only been live since Sunday and Ive had over 50 hits. Sine then I have had three orders (there is only one card on show so far!!) and two enquires about wedding invitations.

I put labels on the back of my cards and I wanted a website addy to add to the labels. Just a small site where I could have a gallery to display my cards. I did set up my own yahoo gallery ( like the one we have for the challenges ) but the addy was so long it filled the labels!!!

Eventually I will set up a shopping cart and paypal....it just takes time....and I havent got that much spare time ATM.

So who else is going to have a go?
It really is very easy and you can just upload your cards and use an email addy for potential customers to order cards from you.

Give it a go....its free!!!

jayzmummy Tue 05-Jul-05 23:30:56

Blooming heck....there have been over 50 hits to my site today!!!!!! I better hurry up and load some more cards!!!!!

Carolinett Wed 06-Jul-05 08:15:54

Hi Jazzymummy
Have I upset you I really hope not it's me asking the questioning about google and other daft question. I'm really intrested. I think your're so clever, the site is first class, where did you get that cottage background.

Dingle Wed 06-Jul-05 09:52:03

I must admit to being very tempted JM!! It would be great to distribute details to the Downs Syndrome group and raise some funds. My little resource library quest has dies a death since going on holiday!
I just don't think I have the confidence in myself , my work or my ability!

jayzmummy Wed 06-Jul-05 13:43:52

Carolinette.....No way!

Why would I be upset by you asking.....my fault...I thought champs had asked and not you....d'oh!!!

I aded some more piccies last night and battled for over an hour to add music to my site....but failed miserably...Im not sure what I am doing wrong....it will be such a silly simple mistake but it got the better of me last night!!!!

Ask away Carolinette....are you going to have a go????

Whizzz Wed 06-Jul-05 15:29:54

Jayzmummy - thats my plan - www. address on the back of my cards just so people can see some ideas rather than buy them off there. It is still 'under construction' as they say.

Carolinett I saw those machines in one of the card mags I bought - did look good. I would like to be able to cut out little figures & clothes. I've done a few by hand but they don't look as professional & neat.

Carolinett Wed 06-Jul-05 15:52:52

Hi whizz
Can't remember have you got the sizzix because isn't that suppose to cut material if not
what about sticking the matertial to thin card with glue and cutting it out or ironing that stiffener stuff on the material to stop any fraying
Just an idea

Carolinett Wed 06-Jul-05 15:53:51

Well Jazzymummy I think I'm going to have a go

Whizzz Wed 06-Jul-05 17:51:04

No Carolinett I haven't got a Sissix (sob)
I've just made a fab card though for a shopaholic - 6 little individual shopping bags made from diferent papers. Great fun !
I've got to make my Mum a Birthday card & its proving really hard. My mum deserves the BEST card ever & I can't decide what to do!

hercules Wed 06-Jul-05 18:05:29

Please explain really simply for me what a sizzle machine is and what it can do.

Whizzz Wed 06-Jul-05 18:09:40

Erm I haven't got one but I'll do my best .... it can stamp out shapes (using cutters) and I think it can emboss too (am I right knowlegable card people?)
The shapes look much neater than trying to cut using scissors. But both machine & dies are fairly expensive

hercules Wed 06-Jul-05 18:12:47

Is it worth it?

Whizzz Wed 06-Jul-05 18:15:18

I think it's too expensive for me at the mo - I'm a mere novice. Maybe if you had a mini production line going & had to churn out a lot of cards. Thats just my opinion though !
You can buy the Sissix cut out shapes from craft shops too if you keep your eyes open. Ebay seems to have a good range of shapes that otehrs have cut out too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now