We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Im having a go at.....

(95 Posts)
jayzmummy Fri 01-Jul-05 11:34:18

building my own website!!!

Its fairly easy to do.

What do you think?

layla Fri 01-Jul-05 12:30:50

Jayzmummy I think it's fantastic ,what a sweet name too.I want to do one too.Are you doing it all yourself?Who is the we are you doing it with someone else too?I think your prices are just right by the way.

champs Fri 01-Jul-05 13:00:56

well done you!!

fastasleep Fri 01-Jul-05 13:21:03

Look like it's going to be great

I'm jealous, I want one!

Hausfrau Fri 01-Jul-05 14:24:02

fab site! did get the giggles though as I clicked on the photos link, saw the flower garden card and thought it was a Lady-Garden card! <must learn to concentrate on what I am doing!>

Whizzz Fri 01-Jul-05 15:04:38

Yes thats whats I'm doing to but I am using Microsoft Publisher (Doesn't look as nice as your though).

jayzmummy Fri 01-Jul-05 20:07:27

Aww thanks for looking....35 people have had a peep! Does what is there look OK???

I only started building it last night and what is there took me just under an hour to do. Its a free site - so long as you have ad's for companies related to what your site is about.

It will probably take me a couple of weeks to get it up and running properly but hopefully will be worth it.

The downside is that whilst I am putting the site together I am not making cards and that makes me

The "we" is ME.

A friend who is very sucrssful in her business told me that the 1st rule of selling your company is to make out your bigger than you really are??? How true that is I dont know but hey I am a Gemini so the "we" feels appropriate!!

DH is seriously considering giving up work and becoming a house hubby so I can build up my little empire....he is a closet crafter so I think he secretly wants to have a go!!! Last night whilst I was playing on the puta he made a card...PMSL that he is getting in tune with his feminine side!!!! He made me swear not to post it up....but when he's not looking I will because it is actually very good.

hunkermunker Fri 01-Jul-05 20:09:43

Lovely, JM! Looks fantastic!

Would love to see DH's card too

Whizzz Fri 01-Jul-05 20:10:44

If my DH made a card it would look like the dogs dinner !
Maybe that can be the next Card Challenge !!

PeachyClair Fri 01-Jul-05 20:21:03

My dh made a few cards and they were great

Luckily he perfers his computer disco control light computer thing a me bobby majinks building, not too much competition then!

Mind you, I wield a mean soldering iron!!

Dior Fri 01-Jul-05 20:24:31

Message withdrawn

hi5 Sat 02-Jul-05 10:05:34

Brilliant, well done so far JM, I am currently building a site for a charity and have thought about putting my cards together on a site. The only thing I have done so far is a powerpoint presentation with details of cards I made with home-handmade paper.
When you build your empire you could get the mumsnet crafters to work as outreach workers for you! It would be a way of building up your stocks, you could send out the materials for a design and ask crafters to make lots for you?
Just an idea....

Whizzz Sat 02-Jul-05 11:00:44

I'll do it !! I make quite a few cards & love it but haven't got the network / organisation / time to actively pursue customers ! (does anyone else sell to someone else to sell on ??)

champs Sat 02-Jul-05 13:41:31

ooo love to see your dh's card too!!

PeachyClair Sat 02-Jul-05 20:24:52

Maybe that should be a part of the next challenge? Each send 2 sets, and dp or a friend or relation to make the second- bet we'd get some great ideas

jayzmummy Tue 05-Jul-05 00:13:42

Shhhhh whilst hes not aroun I'll post a piccie then I'll remove it....dont tell him though. I'll load it tomorrow in my album

champs Tue 05-Jul-05 00:14:53

heee heee

jayzmummy Tue 05-Jul-05 12:06:26

Just though I would let you know that buildng your own website is sooooo easy.

Ive used "Site Maker" ( Ive tried a couple of others although found them a bit more difficult to use...so I have stuck with sitemaker.

Its just finding the time to get it finished thats proving to be the problem. Ive assigned myself to an hour a day building the site up, so hopefully it will be up and running and operational by the end of the month.

Its cost nothing at all.....just my time.

Ive bought my domain name too which cost £9.99 for two years....so now I have got
www.littlecottagecrafts.co.uk, which is easier than the .moonfruit addy I had.

I'd say to all of you be patient and find an hour or two and have a go....if I can do it then so can you.

Ive only got one card on show atm but have had two enquires for wedding invitations already!!!!

Dingle Tue 05-Jul-05 13:24:50

Wow JM, how inspirational!!! It's looking fab.
Well done.

Is it really that easy?? Even for a technical idiot like me!

champs Tue 05-Jul-05 13:48:57

sounds great JM!! domain name was a good price. please keep this thread going as I'd love to see how you get on (sure others will too!)

<<hi dingle!!>>

Dingle Tue 05-Jul-05 14:19:28

Hi champs!! How's it all going?

Carolinett Tue 05-Jul-05 14:26:22

Hi All
I'm back out of my shell
Jazzymum how clever are you, great site are you up & running and ready to start selling?
Hi Champs how are you?
Hi Whizz at Cheshire Oaks I hear, just down the road from me if you venture outside of Cheshire Oaks try Brimstage Hall Wow is that a great place for crafting stuff & the cards displayed are spot on. All the staff are experts.

jayzmummy Tue 05-Jul-05 17:32:36

Honestly girlies it is soooooo easy...I didnt even know how to cut & paste until about 2 months ago. If I have a problem there is a fantastic "idiots guide" help section that has guided me through and Ive managed to sort it.

Go on have a go...you know you want to

Nightynight Tue 05-Jul-05 17:59:25

am I the only person who cant follow the link? it just dies after its asked me to install Flash, whether I say yes or no.

Carolinett Tue 05-Jul-05 19:18:26

Jazzymummy
Is the only cost £9.99 to buy a space for 2 year is there no other cost

jayzmummy Tue 05-Jul-05 19:44:36

The website is free if you agree to the smallest site....which I have ATM...fine to start off with. The 9.99 was to buy my domain name. The free site addy is OK but I wanted one that was easier to use.

jayzmummy Tue 05-Jul-05 19:48:40

Nightynight \link{http://www.littlecottagecrafts.co.uk/ try this}

Not that there is an awful lot to see just yet!!!!

jayzmummy Tue 05-Jul-05 19:49:30
Whizzz Tue 05-Jul-05 19:51:39

Looking good ! I like the colours

Carolinett Tue 05-Jul-05 20:43:23

So how do you market yourself. will you appear on google if someone did a search on handmade cards?

champs Tue 05-Jul-05 20:45:52

fine thanks Dingle!!

Carolinett -- fine thank you hun, where've you been? made any more cards?

jayzmummy -- it is very tempting but also scary!! I do admire you.

Carolinett Tue 05-Jul-05 20:51:31

Hi Champ
Made one or two, been that depressed I've just been buying of Ebay spent a bloody fortune
Can't afford to be depressed anymore will have to start making more cards to sell

champs Tue 05-Jul-05 20:56:08

sorry you've been depressed. good idea to make some money back with some cards, you have a very nice style so wont be hard at all.

jenkel Tue 05-Jul-05 21:00:00

Love the site, hope you get lots of enquries from it.

Carolinett Tue 05-Jul-05 21:02:55

I'm not boasting but my DH is buying me one of these for my birthday not this one just put this link to show you what I'm on about I am so lucky this is instead of the lamp thing from lakeland that you put on your knee.So girls I might have a secondhand sizzix and and a super dopper light box for sale thats if the thing does want it says it does
have a look atthis

champs Tue 05-Jul-05 21:27:45

boast away, looks fab!!

Carolinett Tue 05-Jul-05 21:44:30

I'll let you if it's any good when it arrives.
Anyway I want to know more about the website Jazzymummy designing I think it's great.

jayzmummy Tue 05-Jul-05 23:29:22

Champs....to appear on google and the other thousand or so serach engines you have to pay about £70 for a listing....as Ive spent far too many pennies ATM I havent gone for this option YET

The site has only been live since Sunday and Ive had over 50 hits. Sine then I have had three orders (there is only one card on show so far!!) and two enquires about wedding invitations.

I put labels on the back of my cards and I wanted a website addy to add to the labels. Just a small site where I could have a gallery to display my cards. I did set up my own yahoo gallery ( like the one we have for the challenges ) but the addy was so long it filled the labels!!!

Eventually I will set up a shopping cart and paypal....it just takes time....and I havent got that much spare time ATM.

So who else is going to have a go?
It really is very easy and you can just upload your cards and use an email addy for potential customers to order cards from you.

Give it a go....its free!!!

jayzmummy Tue 05-Jul-05 23:30:56

Blooming heck....there have been over 50 hits to my site today!!!!!! I better hurry up and load some more cards!!!!!

Carolinett Wed 06-Jul-05 08:15:54

Hi Jazzymummy
Have I upset you I really hope not it's me asking the questioning about google and other daft question. I'm really intrested. I think your're so clever, the site is first class, where did you get that cottage background.

Dingle Wed 06-Jul-05 09:52:03

I must admit to being very tempted JM!! It would be great to distribute details to the Downs Syndrome group and raise some funds. My little resource library quest has dies a death since going on holiday!
I just don't think I have the confidence in myself , my work or my ability!

jayzmummy Wed 06-Jul-05 13:43:52

Carolinette.....No way!

Why would I be upset by you asking.....my fault...I thought champs had asked and not you....d'oh!!!

I aded some more piccies last night and battled for over an hour to add music to my site....but failed miserably...Im not sure what I am doing wrong....it will be such a silly simple mistake but it got the better of me last night!!!!

Ask away Carolinette....are you going to have a go????

Whizzz Wed 06-Jul-05 15:29:54

Jayzmummy - thats my plan - www. address on the back of my cards just so people can see some ideas rather than buy them off there. It is still 'under construction' as they say.

Carolinett I saw those machines in one of the card mags I bought - did look good. I would like to be able to cut out little figures & clothes. I've done a few by hand but they don't look as professional & neat.

Carolinett Wed 06-Jul-05 15:52:52

Hi whizz
Can't remember have you got the sizzix because isn't that suppose to cut material if not
what about sticking the matertial to thin card with glue and cutting it out or ironing that stiffener stuff on the material to stop any fraying
Just an idea

Carolinett Wed 06-Jul-05 15:53:51

Well Jazzymummy I think I'm going to have a go

Whizzz Wed 06-Jul-05 17:51:04

No Carolinett I haven't got a Sissix (sob)
I've just made a fab card though for a shopaholic - 6 little individual shopping bags made from diferent papers. Great fun !
I've got to make my Mum a Birthday card & its proving really hard. My mum deserves the BEST card ever & I can't decide what to do!

hercules Wed 06-Jul-05 18:05:29

Please explain really simply for me what a sizzle machine is and what it can do.

Whizzz Wed 06-Jul-05 18:09:40

Erm I haven't got one but I'll do my best .... it can stamp out shapes (using cutters) and I think it can emboss too (am I right knowlegable card people?)
The shapes look much neater than trying to cut using scissors. But both machine & dies are fairly expensive

hercules Wed 06-Jul-05 18:12:47

Is it worth it?

Whizzz Wed 06-Jul-05 18:15:18

I think it's too expensive for me at the mo - I'm a mere novice. Maybe if you had a mini production line going & had to churn out a lot of cards. Thats just my opinion though !
You can buy the Sissix cut out shapes from craft shops too if you keep your eyes open. Ebay seems to have a good range of shapes that otehrs have cut out too.

hercules Wed 06-Jul-05 18:15:56

Thanks

Carolinett Wed 06-Jul-05 21:04:48

Hi Whizz
What theme are you planning for your mums card I've got a few sizzix flower dies the latest ones and the petal envelope o and the pigeon toed alphabet it's like a letter with a loop thing on the top so you can put a brad through and pin it to the card so I could cut MUM I got the tag dies as well the great big one the next one down & the one that cuts three tags each going smaller
A
nyway if you want me to cut you somethings for your mums card let me know what colours you want O ye don't forget I've got the shoe handbag hat & glove punch

Dior Wed 06-Jul-05 21:05:51

Message withdrawn

Carolinett Wed 06-Jul-05 21:11:33

Dior
just scroll down & have a look at this
By Carolinett on Tuesday, 5 July, 2005 9:02:55 PM

Carolinett Wed 06-Jul-05 21:15:06

I'm getting one for my birthday It's going to cost with posting from USA about £90.00

champs Wed 06-Jul-05 22:15:42

Hi ALL!!
jayzmummy -- LOL! was wondering why you was telling me about google
you can put your site on some search engines for free will try to find some links.

jayzmummy Wed 06-Jul-05 22:16:56

Just blame my age!!!

champs Wed 06-Jul-05 22:26:54

ROFL!!

Whizzz Thu 07-Jul-05 19:12:08

Carolinett - Thanks for the offer - I've made a start on my mums card. Made a little bouquet of tiny roses (swapped with RoyOfSunshine for cross stitch books !) wrapped in pink & am going to mount it on a pearly pink card. I've also got some little tiny gems which I could add. I'll also try the Safmat stuff for writing a mesage on the front. I'll see how it looks when its assembled !
The handbag shapes might come in handy though if you don't mind. Would you like to swap anythign in return ? I picked up some nice paper from paperchase or I have a little daisy punch which is really cute.

Carolinett Thu 07-Jul-05 19:21:15

Sounds like your mums cards going to be a stunner
What colour do you want the handbags or shall I send you a dozen of all sorts mainly black.
To swap I'd love a piece of the paper in return.

PeachyClair Thu 07-Jul-05 19:32:59

Sounds nice carolinet (sp, really pretty.

I' asking for a sissix for chridtmas as I spend too much on that stuff. Wanted one for my birthday which is v v soon but have to give birthday money to school for the bookfair as kids need £20 to spend there but we don't get paid til next week. Boo hoo.

Jayzmummuy- did you get my CAT?

Whizzz Thu 07-Jul-05 19:38:01

A dozen handbags would be good thanks Carolinett . A variety of colours would be good as I can always add sparkly bits to them.
I still have your address - I'll post some paper off to you tomorrow & enclose my address in case you've not got mine !

If anyone else want some little daisy shapes - I'm happy to oblige !

jayzmummy Thu 07-Jul-05 20:19:43

peachy....nope...no CAT???

PeachyClair Thu 07-Jul-05 20:32:07

E-mail not received at all? Can't remember if I cat'd or e-mail'd.

Sorry.

Will re-send to you.

Carolinett Thu 07-Jul-05 21:12:49

Great Whizz
Yes you're right no address I'll wait for the papers and return buy post the bags that gives me time to punch them over the weekend. Just thought do you want some funky foam fish I've got a small fish diecut fish will be about about 1 1/2 inches long

Whizzz Fri 08-Jul-05 18:37:25

Carolinett - I've sent your envelope today - should arrive tomorrow. Foam fish sound good !
Thankyou !

Yorkiegirl Fri 08-Jul-05 18:38:29

Message withdrawn

Whizzz Fri 08-Jul-05 18:40:32

Thanks Yorkiegirl! - would you like some of my paperchase paper (mulberry + bits & bobs)in return ?

Yorkiegirl Fri 08-Jul-05 18:43:47

Message withdrawn

Whizzz Fri 08-Jul-05 19:54:13

Thanks Yorkiegirl - I wouldn't mind having a go with some bitty body people. I wondered if I had the basic shapes I could use them as templates to make others. Body, girl & boy hair & girl & boy clothes would be great if you don't mind.
I have your address from a while ago so I will try & post out some paper tomorrow !

Yorkiegirl Fri 08-Jul-05 19:57:19

Message withdrawn

Whizzz Fri 08-Jul-05 20:07:25

Love the cowboy and the Fairy - they are really cute ! Whatever you have is fine - I'll use it somehow ! I bought 3 Paperkins sets for £3 from a craft fair shown here
- I got Joyriding Joe + a tennis player & a sandcastle / beach girl not shown & have managed to use them as templates.

jayzmummy Fri 08-Jul-05 21:22:50

Whizz...Ive got all the bitty body B&P's, hair, clothes etc....let me know what you want and I'll get DS1 to cut some for you....I pay him his pocket money after he has cut my sizzix for me...slave driver that I am!!!!

Whizzz Fri 08-Jul-05 22:42:56

Thanks JM, as I said I wouldn't mind a bit of a girl + boy selection so that I can use the shapes as templates if possible. Would you like some of my Paperchase paper as a swap ! Everyone else has got some
Thanks in advance to your DS !
I will CAT you my address - but there is no rush !

jayzmummy Fri 08-Jul-05 23:33:30

mail me at my mumsnet user name at yahoo dot co dot uk.
DS1 wants to go skateboarding on sunday....he can earn his spending money!!!

Whizzz Thu 14-Jul-05 19:31:41

Did everyone get their Bits & Bobs OK ?
How's the website going JM ?

Yorkiegirl Thu 14-Jul-05 19:40:56

Message withdrawn

Whizzz Thu 14-Jul-05 20:01:46

No rush ! Just wanted to make sure they had arrived OK !

jayzmummy Fri 15-Jul-05 02:18:20

Hi Whizz.
The site is on a go slow ATM.
Ive been a bit pre-occupied the past couple of weeks and havent had the time (or patience) to work on it.
Im going away tomorrow for the weekend....we bought a caravan!!!....so from Monday when I get home all refreshed and full of vigor I'll be back to my craft room and attempting to finish the site off.

Have you started a site for yourself yet?

Whizzz Fri 15-Jul-05 19:32:00

Yes, but its not live anywhere yet & it doesn't look as nice as yours !

kkgirl Mon 08-Aug-05 07:40:24

jayzmummy

if you are around, i have some questions about the website.

I have just started building one, is it definitely free, if you have the free ads and how do you know. Nothing asked me about payment or displaying free ads.

How did you get the hit counter on there, I can't find out how to do it.

Shows I'm not very computer literate, doesn't it?

jayzmummy Mon 08-Aug-05 12:20:52

Ive been so busy just lately with one thing and another that I havent had time to play around wth my website
The plan is that once the DS's are back to school I will finish it off then.

The site I have is free....I paid for my domain name littlecottagecrafts.co.uk from a link at the site...it cost £9.99 for two years.
You have to pay extra to join the search egines such as google and that worked out a bit to expensive atm.

The moonfruit addys are a bit long to print out on the back of your cards, thats the reason I paid for my own site addy.

The site counter is there....you have to look under each of the inserts sections and then you will find it.

Ive had real problems adding music to my site and have spent far to long trying to sort it out that I finally gave up!!

Good luck with building your own site...its worth it because I have had a few orders and havent got many cards on there at all.

kkgirl Mon 08-Aug-05 12:58:29

Thanks JM

I'm not holding my breath, I had a stall at a local flower show yesterday and sold 1 card. People were coming by and saying what lovely cards, and then walking away without buying. I was charging £1.49 which I don't think is unreasonable, but they just don't seem to sell.
Anyway will have a go at the website, and see what happens

champs Wed 31-Aug-05 13:26:38

hi jayzmummy!! Just a quick post, have you thought of putting your web addy on your card labels?

jayzmummy Wed 31-Aug-05 14:35:21

i do add the website address to my labels....thats why I wanted a website and was lucky enough to get the name I wanted.

champs Thu 01-Sep-05 15:21:48

<<<whispers>>> this label hasn't got it on there, has name tho and email<<<whispers>>>

AuntyQuated Thu 01-Sep-05 15:34:57

champs - have you seen my sizzix threda?

champs Thu 01-Sep-05 15:57:48

hi AQ!! just posted on it LOL, are you using telepathy?

Dior Fri 02-Sep-05 00:12:40

Message withdrawn

champs Fri 02-Sep-05 17:34:10

hi dior! was wondering that too, hope she's ok.

jayzmummy Fri 02-Sep-05 17:36:31

I know champs because I was using up some of my old labels when I made the card. The all new labels have my website and contact details on them

champs Fri 02-Sep-05 17:53:25

just making sure!

jeniferflxs Wed 26-Dec-12 11:48:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

lljkk Wed 26-Dec-12 13:51:55

Zombie thread & OP's domain long dead, is Jenifer advertising?

MammaTJ Wed 26-Dec-12 22:36:07

Odd!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now