Please help me choose a blanket yarn!

(10 Posts)
MaximilianNero Sun 27-Nov-16 14:40:07

I'm planning to start a blanket within the next week - it will definitely be either a c2c or a chevron pattern since I'm pretty comfortable with the stitches for either and my samples have gone well.

I have some Special Stylecraft DK and I've been practising the patterns using it, but when I place my samples on my skin, it doesn't feel thick/warm enough. I want it to be an autumn/winter/early spring blanket, something that can really be snuggled into in a cold house!

So I've been looking online at aran and chunky weights, which I've not used before. Can anyone tell me how heavy and warm a blanket in Stylecraft Special Chunky would be? Also would it feel nice and soft?

Any other recommendations for a very soft and warm blanket yarn would be very welcome! It will be a large blanket, but I'd much rather spend more money on a better yarn than spend less and be disappointed because it feels too scratchy (I'm autistic and I'm quite sensitive to texture!)

Also, before I made my samples, the palette I had in mind was Spice/Walnut/Stone but I can only get that combo in DK. I also find it very difficult to imagine colours placed next to each other in my head, so I'm struggling to think of a new palette. I picked the other one because I saw three granny squares in those colours next to each other and it look lovely. Obviously it depends on the brand I choose, but help with a palette would also be extremely gratefully received.

I want a warm looking palette - oranges, yellows, reds and browns with a contrasting stone/cream type colour was my original idea, but actually I'm open to changing direction and having purples/greens etc etc...as long as it is has warmth and brightness to it and doesn't look pastel-y or very dull.

smile

SandwichYum Sun 27-Nov-16 19:45:24

The stylecraft special chunky has same feel as the dk, so if you like that it will be ok. Colour choice not that wide, you could try sirdar hayfield bonus chunky as more colours and it feels the same. The stylecraft life chunky has some wool so will be warmer, is lovely and soft but limited colours again. I love Debbie bliss rialto chunky but I think it would be expensive to make a blanket with! On the other end of the scale is robin super chunky which I made a very warm blanket with for woolly hugs, despite being cheap it was soft and cosy! Also the hobbycraft WI soft and chunky makes a nice blanket, it's heavy and thick and warm.

MaximilianNero Sun 27-Nov-16 21:41:14

Thanks Sandwich smile I'm happy with the feel of Stylecraft DK, just not so much with the thickness. Wish chunky had more colour options.

I agree, the Debbie Bliss looks lovely, but too expensive to make a large blanket with.

Would you recommend Caron Simply Soft? Wide range of colours, and I think Aran would be warm enough.

PolterGoose Sun 27-Nov-16 21:50:07

If you're happy with the feel of Stylecraft why not just use 2 strands of DK? Do some swatches with different hooks to get the right tension.

Stylecraft Life has some wool in it so might be a bit warmer, not as many colours though.

MaximilianNero Sun 27-Nov-16 21:52:46

The sirdar hayfield chunky with wool has lovely colours in stock too. Hmm, choices...

FiftyNineOhEight Sun 27-Nov-16 21:55:34

I recently crocheted a poncho in Caron Simply Soft. It was nice to work with.

SoupDragon Mon 28-Nov-16 09:23:14

I like Drops Big Merino. Orange mocha and beige are probably the closest to the stylecraft ones you mentioned.

Evergreen17 Mon 28-Nov-16 09:24:43

I am about to finish a blanket with Caron simply soft and I recommend it. Also chevron pattern

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 28-Nov-16 09:27:56

I bought some King Cole Cottonsoft for a bed throw...it's working up beautifully soft and quite weighty. ...seem to recall it had a great range of colours.

it's not at all stiff which i have found with some types of cotton.

FranHastings Mon 28-Nov-16 10:00:45

The Simply Chunky from Paintbox Yarns is just lovely and comes in a huge range of colours. You can get it from loveknitting.com and there are usually discount codes floating around. www.loveknitting.com/paintbox-yarns-simply-chunky

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now