public liability insurance for small craft group

(10 Posts)
Lostalot Sun 20-Nov-16 18:49:30

Hi there,
Am wondering if anyone has any advice please?
I am starting up a craft group of perhaps 5-8 people(friends). e.g meeting once a month to make stuff together and swap ideas. With the aim of the group having a stall at local craft fairs. The primary aim is not to make money though that would be nice, but more for the creative and social aspect.
Even tiny local craft fairs ask for public liability insurance these days so I
am wondering if we could get this as a group? Does anyone have experience of doing something similar?
Thanks v much smile

SpeckledyBanana Tue 22-Nov-16 21:56:28

My sewing teacher has PL insurance for her groups.

SixtiesChildOfWildBlueSkies Tue 22-Nov-16 22:10:14

My public liability is through A-N art organisation (below). I use it as I create/sell/teach/give talks about my work. Have a look and see what you think.

Insurance « a-n The Artists Information Company
www.a-n.co.uk/about/insurance

Lostalot Tue 22-Nov-16 22:42:26

thank you for replying speckled and sixties.
Thanks for AN link - i will check it out. Its just the group selling thing I can't find anything on?? smilexx

SixtiesChildOfWildBlueSkies Tue 22-Nov-16 23:13:19

Just found the following which seems to support group insurance.

Ian W Wallace LTD
Craft Insurance: Home-new
craftinsurance.co.uk/
Insurance for craft clubs and societies £160.92* *
For £2,000,000 public and products liability and £10,000,000 employers liability

Also, if you can't find one to suit your groups needs, what about nominating one person of the group for the work to be insured under? Is that feasible?

Adarajames Wed 23-Nov-16 01:49:31

I also use A-N, when sold work of mine and friends together it's all been registered under my name as the trader so am covered.

DPotter Wed 23-Nov-16 02:13:10

I use a-n as well - its about £20-25 I think.
I help organise sales and exhibitions for 2 guilds and we ask for each individual designer-maker to have their own PL insurance. Don't know if you can get a group one.

Adarajames Wed 23-Nov-16 02:41:45

A-N is £36

JoffreyBaratheon Wed 23-Nov-16 09:48:58

I use Ian Wallace. It's been recommended by some many experienced craftspeople to me, including someone who used to run huge craft fairs and still has her own stall - she has used them for years. They're a small family business and lovely to deal with!

Lostalot Wed 23-Nov-16 22:11:20

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply mumsnetters. I will look into the suggestions smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now