Making Roman blinds?

(8 Posts)
KanyesVest Tue 08-Nov-16 21:13:27

Are they reasonably easy/straightforward to make? I have three windows for which I'd like blinds but can't find anything the right size, that I like and don't cost a fortune. I have a basic ability with a sewing machine and can follow a basic pattern. Thanks.

LIZS Tue 08-Nov-16 21:18:08

As long as you can sew straight it should be fine. You either need lining or fabric/stripes to make casing for the horizontal supports. The key is spacing the supports correctly so it folds neatly.

KanyesVest Tue 08-Nov-16 21:21:19

There may be hope for me so! I've been googling and there seem to be some patterns available.

MirabelleTree Tue 08-Nov-16 21:23:25

This video is very good.

KanyesVest Tue 08-Nov-16 21:54:01

Thanks,it is. I'll visit my local haberdasher at the weekend.

buzzlightyearsdinosaur Thu 10-Nov-16 11:03:26

Accuracy is key, the larger the window the more any mistakes will show.

What size are your windows?

There are a few methods and you can buy kits which make it easier, some of the kits also come with child friendly (choke proof) pull cords which is another thing to consider if you have young children in your house.

Lovelybangers Thu 10-Nov-16 11:15:19

That video is very helpful. I too have always wanted to make blinds.

Might have a go.

KanyesVest Thu 10-Nov-16 13:14:38

buzz, I'm going to start with the small one, 120cm x 120cm. The bigger ones are 160 x 140. I'm going to go to a good fabric shop that I think has the mechanism kits and see which safety gadgets they have too. Ds is isn't quite sensible enough not to have the pulls secured well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now