Could I make a rug, for the first time, by Christmas?

(2 Posts)
PorridgeAgainAbney Thu 20-Oct-16 08:57:58

I'm quite creative but I've never made a rug before, but have come up with the idea of making a rug in the shape of an (not decided yet) animal for my son's room.

It would need to washable and I'm not sure what type of rug - not with shaggy loose ends but where you pull the wool through from the back so the front is essentially a series of short loops so it can have 'shading' to look a bit more realistic than a block of one colour. Is that even a technique or have I made that up?!

So, is it feasible to make a rug (approx 4ft sq) for the first time, in two months (realistically talking about half an hour each evening plus 3-4 hours each weekend)?

Thanks!

Off out now so will check back in tonightsmile

OdinsLoveChild Mon 07-Nov-16 14:50:55

Hopefully you have already started a rug but if not then try a rag rug.

I ordered potato sacks (hessian) , cut them in half, used old baby clothes cut into short strips (4-6 inches long, 1-2 inches wide) and then looped them through from the back. Mine are multi coloured but you can do a rough pattern fairly easily. It takes me about a week to do one. I have a few around the house because I hoard children clothes and clothes I will never fit into again and I like to use them up.

Theres plenty of tutorials online if you get stuck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now