Where can we get good value fabrics ?

(11 Posts)
AliciaBASZ Thu 22-Sep-16 10:13:44

Hello,
Everything is in the title ^^ I'm looking for nice fabrics for craft (I create items for kids : bibs, burp clothes, soft toys...) and I'd like to know where it's best to get good quality/value fabric on the internet, or in south London ?

Thanks.

RatherBeIndoors Thu 22-Sep-16 12:04:24

In the real world, Goldhawk Road in SW London is one long row of fabric shops. Root around and you can find bargains smile

They are a bit variably on price, but I've found quality consistently good on myfabrics.co.uk

RatherBeIndoors Thu 22-Sep-16 12:04:42

*variable. Tsk.

AliciaBASZ Fri 23-Sep-16 12:09:47

Thank you,
I found good prices on the myfabrics.co.uk. I'm gonna check the Goldhawk Road tip ^^

olderthanyouthink Fri 23-Sep-16 13:03:53

Oh I just used my fabrics, the price was good but one of the pieces of fabric was off grain and the person complained to couldn't understand what I meant. I'm not sure if it's because he's German or just didn't understand fabric. Their solution was to sent me another piece (and he'll ask the cutter to make sure he cuts it straight across confused) free of charge, of course because it came from the same so that new fabric was still off angry

AliciaBASZ Fri 23-Sep-16 20:05:10

Hello olderthanyouthink,

it can happen when we order online, the pictures are not those of the real product... that's why it's better to go to a real shop and touch and feel the fabric... I'll try to have some time off to go to the Shepherd Bush shops.

Have a nice evening.

olderthanyouthink Sat 24-Sep-16 18:36:08

AliciaBASZ The fabric was the same the photo (plain anyway but the colours look right-ish), it had been twisted at some point though so wont hang straight.

I used to live in london and went to Walthamstow market once, amazing amount of sewing stuff and miles of fabric. Sadly not an option at the moment.

AliciaBASZ Sun 25-Sep-16 08:39:28

Thanks a lot for the Walthamstow market tip ^^ I might go... just have to plan a whole for that.

Have a nice day !

AliciaBASZ Sun 25-Sep-16 08:40:14

* a whole day

delilahbucket Tue 27-Sep-16 08:17:35

Abakhan is good for low cost. If you are ordering a fair bit try fabric.com. They are in America but if you are ordering quite a bit it then it's worth it. Just bear in mind you will pay customs and the UPS fee on your order before delivery.

IncognitoBurrito Wed 28-Sep-16 14:02:19

Shaukat on Old Brompton Road has loads of Liberty Tana Lawn in the basement at less than Liberty prices- about £17 a metre. Liberty Lawn makes gorgeous baby stuff. They also have a good selection of other cottons but they may be cheaper on Goldhawk Road.
Will be checking out Walthamstow market, didn't know about that one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now