Lidl's silvercrest sewing machine?

(5 Posts)
JenLindleyShitMom Sat 17-Sep-16 20:11:44

I'm in the market for a machine. I'm a beginner so I have no idea what I worth the money and what isn't. I saw one in Lidl's brochure for £59.99. It's silvercrest which my dad tells me is Lidl's own electrical brand.

Does anyone have any knowledge of them or could recommend a not too pricey machine for me please?

JenLindleyShitMom Mon 19-Sep-16 15:40:23

Bumping.

RatherBeIndoors Tue 20-Sep-16 10:38:01

I have no experience of Lidl machines, but have had years decades of reliable use from a very basic Janome model. I finally upgraded to a fancy version fairly recently, but the old one is still running. May be worth looking at their basic range?

You will probably need a machine that does: straight stitch, zigzag stitch, forward and back, and buttonholes (almost all machines will but it's something to look at). Your machine should come with a standard foot, buttonhole foot and zipper foot. It may come with more but those are the ones you'll really need. Some bobbins are top-loading, some are front-loading - with top-loading it's slightly easier to see whether you've threaded it correctly but there's not much different IMO.

If there's a sewing shop anywhere near you, they should let you go and try a few different ones out to see which suits you. It's also good to get to know them as that's where you'd probably get it serviced! Good luck, and I hope you have lots of fun with whichever one you go for smile

yes I bought one of these for my daughter - I'm no expert sower but for what I used it for it works very well and I'm extremely pleased with it. I've bought cheap sewing machines before that were awful, but this one is a good buy!

JenLindleyShitMom Tue 20-Sep-16 11:39:46

Thanks both! I think I'll go for the silvercrest and see how I get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now