Help me find my new very stable but collapsable sewing table!

(6 Posts)
yellowgladys Mon 15-Aug-16 11:41:07

I don't have anywhere to sew atm, but have just made a space that would work in my bedroom, but only for a collapsible table. That's fine, as I don't get chance to sew that often and am fine with getting it out and putting it away. I'm wondering about a sturdy table top on trestle legs that I can slide behind the wardrobe - ikea maybe? It has to be stable - I've muddled through with a series of rickety dining tables that bounce when the machine is sewing for decades now and I've had enough. It also needs to have legs that fold or unscrew quite quickly - I don't really want to be taking out 20 screws each time. Will this work? Does anyone have any ideas? It has to be cheapish too.

gasman Mon 15-Aug-16 18:56:29

I had one of the okra table tops with screw on legs. Works really well. Takes minutes to assemble.

I used to store the table top under the sofa and the legs under a bookcase.

I now have room for a large fixed table and am getting rid of it. I'm based in central London and about to put it on freecycle so PM me if this would work for you!

yellowgladys Mon 15-Aug-16 19:24:17

thanks, that's really kind but I'm not in London

CatherineDeB Mon 15-Aug-16 21:31:08

I have got two of these in my sewing room - not glamorous but sturdy.

This 4 x2 one is good for sewing and then I have got a 3ft square one with my overlocker on.

I cover the ugliness up with a bit of oilcloth type table cloth.

www.amazon.co.uk/Folding-Table-Strength-Delivery-Guarantee/dp/B002Q91M6E/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1471292893&sr=8-25&keywords=folding+table

yellowgladys Tue 16-Aug-16 11:40:47

CatherineDeB does it bounce at all when using sewing machine? And is it easy to take down? Could be the one!

CatherineDeB Tue 16-Aug-16 16:23:10

Not at all yellow v sturdy. The 1m square version seems better for my over locker which did bounce in the middle of the rectangular one - my old over locker bounced.

I bought a new over locker earlier this year which is more refined and that doesn't bounce at all.

We actually use the tables for all sorts - extended family lunches at the end of our dining table, even group camping in the past - very solid and very foldable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now