Best yarn for socks

(7 Posts)
AugustRose Tue 02-Aug-16 19:16:23

I want to try knitting or crocheting some socks but would like to know your choices of yarn for comfort and keeping shape, please. They will be a solid colour or perhaps a self-striping/rainbow to start with. Thanks

ZippyNeedsFeeding Tue 02-Aug-16 20:39:43

King Cole Zig Zag is not bad and comes with a free sock pattern. It comes in a range of self patterning and plain shades.

brodchengretchen Tue 02-Aug-16 20:51:51

Koigu, Fibrespates and Lorna's Laces do some lovely sock yarns. IMO knitting is the way to go for everyday socks, crochet produces a thick solid fabric which may be more suitable for bedsocks, in which case I would suggest Annie's Attic crochet patterns and their suggested yarns, which will probably be softer.

Look at the designers Cat Bordhi and Ann Budd for some lovely patterns, and all Evelyn Clark's designs are to die for. See Ravelry for completed projects.

Keeping shape depends on choice of yarn, go for 75/80% wool, 20/25% polyamide for maximum suitability. Good even tension with maintenance across the needle 'jogs' will see you right.

ZippyNeedsFeeding Tue 02-Aug-16 21:04:19

Opal are good too. I'm not too sure about the comfort because I'm allergic to wool and only knit socks in the summer when I have to take allergy medication anyway, but my husband loves his socks from Opal yarn and prefers then to any of his others.

PolterGoose Wed 03-Aug-16 08:05:56

Zippy if you can get hold of it, Wendy Happy is a bamboo sock yarn. It's divinely soft but a bit slippy to work with.

Most yarns labelled as 'sock yarns' are good. The only ones I haven't like much are the Noro sock yarn, even though I love Noro yarns the variable thickness and tendency to felting is a pain.

I mostly use Regia, Opal and Cascade Heritage.

AugustRose Wed 03-Aug-16 12:02:48

Thank you, I'll look into all of these. I'll be starting with some basic patterns and building up as it's been years since I knitted anything more complicated.

Marcipex Fri 05-Aug-16 22:48:47

Opal is the best imo, Regia next best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now