Crochet for beginners

(9 Posts)
TheMouseInMyPocket Mon 01-Aug-16 15:34:01

Could someone please recommend me a book - it doesn't have to be a very large one - explaining basic crochet techniques, with a clear indication on whether it uses US or UK crochet terms? I have a book (Basic Crochet Stitches by Erika Knight) which I find very confusing, as it seems to mix up UK and American terms, without even mentioning that there is a difference. So I would love to get my hands on something that will clear up the confusion, and would really prefer it to be a book, rather than a website or a YouTube channel, as I seem to learn best from a write word.

I have been teaching myself crochet on and off for years and feel like my technique is a bit "sloppy", so want to get it "tidied up" before I embark on a more serious project than the massive blanket I've been making for years blush

PolterGoose Mon 01-Aug-16 22:12:29

My rule of thumb if it isn't clear is that if a pattern mentions single crochet it's American as we don't have a single crochet stitch in UK terminology.

This book is quite comprehensive.

TheMouseInMyPocket Tue 02-Aug-16 05:18:35

Thanks, Polter smile, I will have a look. The book I have mentions single crochet when explaining basic stitches, so I thought it obviously was using American terms, but then it calls the next stitch up a "half treble crochet" which is a uk term, so it has lurgy me thoroughly confused!

SoupDragon Tue 02-Aug-16 13:49:05

I learnt from an earlier edition of this which is more of a booklet really. It's probably too simple for brushing up existing skills though.

TheMouseInMyPocket Thu 04-Aug-16 22:07:12

Polter, thank you again for your recommendation, this book is great!smile

PolterGoose Fri 05-Aug-16 07:28:19

Excellent smile

Any photos?

jelly10 Fri 05-Aug-16 07:36:16

I can recommend bella coco tutorials on YouTube. I learnt through watching her and I found it all really easy to follow and it helped to be able to see how she did each step. I've got a book as well but started with bella coco.

TheMouseInMyPocket Fri 05-Aug-16 14:50:36

I'm working on the polar bear from the book. It is turning out rather nice smile (and no, that is not a crochet tampon in the picture, that's the bears leggrin)

PolterGoose Fri 05-Aug-16 14:57:57

Looking good smile

Have you seen the crochet tampons on etsy? That is indeed how they look grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now