denim dress - what seams?

(5 Posts)
fruitscone Mon 04-Jul-16 14:50:23

I am about to make a denim dress which I have been waiting to start for months because I am chicken. I don't have an overlocker. Am I right in thinking I can't try French seams because it will be too bulky? What should I do instead?

CatherineDeB Mon 04-Jul-16 15:15:30

Flat fell seams would be traditional. I have got a special foot that makes light work of them.

This is without a foot

blog.colettehq.com/tutorials/standard-flat-felled-seam

fruitscone Mon 04-Jul-16 19:06:36

thank you CatherineDeB - I had wondered about them. Your link is helpful. (Wonder if I am too stupid to do these?).

CatherineDeB Mon 04-Jul-16 19:48:08

No of course you are not! But in reality these seams were born out of denim jeans needing to be strong because they were workwear so probably not needed for your dress, (which I thought about on my bike ride after I had posted my reply). Also can be quite tricky to keep right on curves.

You could just do an ordinary seam and zig zag it or use pinking shears.

fruitscone Mon 04-Jul-16 20:06:20

I think you're right - I will zigzag it. I am overthinking this, amn't I - fretting about tidy seams when really I just need to get stuck into make the bloomin dress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now