Can I ask fabric/upholstery/sewing project people about suppliers?

(5 Posts)
AddToBasket Sun 26-Jun-16 13:11:35

I'm just starting out on learning to sew and to do a few small upholstery projects. I'd like to have a stack of finishing things - zips, buttons and piping. Does anyone have a recommendation for where I can buy reasonable priced mixed packs of these things?

AddToBasket Sun 26-Jun-16 14:37:53

Bump

MilesHuntsWig Sun 26-Jun-16 14:48:06

I'm no expert, but I've found ebay quite good tbh. Lots of little virtual craft shops there. Good luck!

JoffreyBaratheon Sun 26-Jun-16 15:05:11

I try not to have a stash (already have that for knitting yarn), so I tend to buy as I go. I have got better quality things on occasion, by buying thngs like vintage sewing boxes with their original contents, on eBay, as the old zips seem to be remarkably better quality than modern ones - another reason I don't consciously 'stash' too much. Charity shops are also a good source. For a few years (before sewing took off again as a popular thing) we'd buy grannies' stashes of vintage buttons (usually making the shop an offer for the entire tin) - so although I say I don't stash zips and stuff - I do have a lifetime's supply of 1950s, 60s and 70s buttons!

For some nice notions, Duttons For Buttons is good.

ZippyNeedsFeeding Sat 02-Jul-16 14:38:32

Another vote here for eBay! I have a huge stash of fabrics, but I tend not to stockpile notions too much, because I tend to sew in "phases"- last month i made mostly hoodies and this month it's more dresses, so if I'd stockpiled eyelets and ribbing for the hoodies then they might not be used for years.
you do find job lots in auctions and don't forget the wholesale categories- anyone can buy from there, you don't need to be a business.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now