Recommend me a sewing machine pls

(4 Posts)
Helenluvsrob Wed 01-Jun-16 11:11:49

have a worn out cheap JL machine that will die soon. A £100 service would be a waste of time.

recommend me a good machine that I'll love using . budget up to £300 maybe . On line preferred .

And what amazing feature " must " I have . THey all sound grand compared to the one I have! A needle threader definitely. Needle up down etc too. But others I don't know 'cos I've never used them IYSWIM!

isthatmytshirt Wed 01-Jun-16 11:22:30

I had a wonderful Brother, which was reduced in the JL sale one year. Smooth and silent as a dream. Had way too many stitch options for what I needed, but was nice to have them in case ;)

Can't remember the model, but it was under £200, and was reduced to just over £100, so a real bargain.

I sold it when I lived overseas so as not to have to carry it back, but I'm going to replace it soon and will definitely go with a Brother again.

Imfinehowareyou Wed 01-Jun-16 11:35:39

Janome j3-20. This was recommended to me by the sewing machine shop owner when I was a beginner. It is so easy to use and I have made so much with it including bay window curtains (tons of heavy fabric). I recommended it to my friend who has gone from non sewer to awesome sewer in a short space of time. She loves hers too.

Frontstep Mon 20-Jun-16 23:21:35

I am quite pleased with my Janome DC3050 - it was from JL but was quite a bit reduced at the time. I like it - quiet and easy to use, I like the speed limiter function (thought I wouldn't cos it sounded a bit sedate, but it's great for doing appliqué and other fiddly things). It has needle up/down which I've not had before but I like. I did almost immediately break the needle threader which was annoying - can order replacement though apparently. I don't like the horizontal spool holder much, though I have kind of got used to it now. The automatic 'fasten off' button is a right pain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now