Would you like a hostess trolley?

(17 Posts)
Flossyfloof Wed 04-May-16 18:46:50

I want to do some decoupage and have seen a hostess trolley ( two shelves on wheels) that I think would be good. I need something cheap as I want to decoupage the shelves and possibly the struts too. I have one and I love it, especially because nowadays I rarely have people round for dinner but do have friends round for tea and cake.
Do you think this is a nice idea? Or will I struggle to sell it once it is done?
I am not looking to make a living from it, but once I have bought the materials I think it would really need to sell for £30 minimum,

lavendersun Wed 04-May-16 19:49:28

No Flossy, sorry grin. I think I still have a hostess tray somewhere from the 90s, just a plug in flat thing.

Flossyfloof Wed 04-May-16 19:55:45

Well Lavender, I know you to be a Woman of Taste so I will have to think of something else to tempt you with!

lavendersun Wed 04-May-16 19:57:57

grin. I did used to use my little warming tray in the 90s in my flat, I thought I was so cool .... maybe not.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 04-May-16 20:03:12

My sister has one. I laughed like a drain at it when I was young and foolish. Now I have trolley envy angry

lavendersun Wed 04-May-16 20:06:26

There you go Flossy .... you have a customer!!

BitOutOfPractice Wed 04-May-16 20:08:27

I'm talking about a heated one.

Coldtoeswarmheart Wed 04-May-16 20:57:23

I saw an Ercol hostess trolley on eBay last week and very much wanted it.

But don't decoupage it angry or it will be just another piece of Ercol ruined upcycled.

I don't think I've been much help, have I?

Flossyfloof Wed 04-May-16 23:08:42

Ercol is out of favour at the moment though isn't it so I might be able to pick some up cheap?
It won't be heated, sorry. However I really do want to decoupage it and when I have done it you will all be beating my door down begging me to do you one. And I will consider it...
The Works do decoupage paper and it is much cheaper than The Range, just in case anyone wishes to choose their own design for me to do.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 04-May-16 23:56:53

Ercol is very much IN fashion! And expensive. Have a look here at the Heal's page

Sorry I'm not a big fan of decoupage

PovertyPain Thu 05-May-16 00:02:40

Erm. confused What's ercol?

lavendersun Thu 05-May-16 07:15:49

Ercol is lovely - I bought a bench chair seat thing from the Ercol factory a couple of years ago - really nice. Unlike most things these days they seem to have retained their standards old gimmer here.

Flossyfloof Thu 05-May-16 08:08:53

I meant second hand Ercol. I don't think it would be such a good idea to buy new and give it a shabby chic-ing, really grin

Coldtoeswarmheart Thu 05-May-16 17:43:28

Noooo, I can't afford new Ercol and am hauting eBay for a dining table at the mo!

Coldtoeswarmheart Thu 05-May-16 17:43:49

Haunting. Gah.

mimiasovitch Thu 05-May-16 23:16:56

I would love a hostess trolley. I would keep bottles of fancy gin on it, and some maraschino cherries and a soda spray thingy. Oooo - and my babycham glasses. In fact I don't know why I don't already have one. No space, darn it.

ZippyNeedsFeeding Thu 19-May-16 21:23:11

I have a hostess trolley. It very quickly fell victim to the Law Of flat Surfaces and is now covered in tat, rolls of fabric and assorted PHDs (Projects Half Done).

I definitely wouldn't buy one, even if someone had gone to the trouble of sticking stuff on it. The effort would be wasted on me, I'm afraid.
You could try doing an advances search on ebay, for completed/sold listings. That would show you what this sort of thing sells for, if it sells at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now