Making a jumper without wool - SSDK ?

(9 Posts)
PollyannaWhittier Sun 17-Apr-16 11:04:15

I've been crocheting for years, and I've decided I want to branch out from toys and baby blankets and make something that I can wear. I've found a pattern for a granny stripe jumper but the pattern calls for merino wool which a) I can't afford, and b) I can't wear because it makes me itch.
Has anyone successfully used acrylic yarn to make a garment ? Stylecraft special dk is my go-to for toys and blankets, but I don't know if it's hardwearing enough for clothes ? Any experience or other suggestions would be most appreciated !
Thanks in advance smile

toriap2 Sun 17-Apr-16 18:14:24

Debbie bliss have a cheapish merino, but stylecraft should be ok. I have done jumpers in it that are still going strong.

tribpot Sun 17-Apr-16 18:18:10

Is it not a bit sweaty, though, with being acrylic?

Is it only merino you have a problem with or all wool? I'm making a cardigan in Stylecraft Malabar although I'm hoping the cotton content doesn't make it bag too badly.

slugseatlettuce Sun 17-Apr-16 18:18:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PollyannaWhittier Sun 17-Apr-16 21:05:50

tribpot I haven't found any wool that I can wear, I've made so many scarves that I've had to give away that I've pretty much given up on anything that comes from a sheep !

I think I will have a go with the Stylecraft, then if it all goes horribly wrong I won't have wasted too much money smile

( This is the pattern if anyone's interested )

slugseatlettuce Sun 17-Apr-16 21:46:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoreenLethal Sun 17-Apr-16 21:50:26

Yes i use it for the same reason. Have made my own jumpers and they turned out fine.

KatyN Mon 18-Apr-16 14:11:39

I have just made a jumper from the wi yarn from hobby craft. It is really soft and cheap as chips!

PollyannaWhittier Sat 23-Apr-16 22:11:26

Thanks for all the replies, you have reassured me that it won't turn into a horrid stretched, pilled mess ! Now to decide on colours ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now