Mid range sewing machine recommendations

(11 Posts)
Firerise Sun 03-Apr-16 12:02:02

Hello

I'm looking to upgrade from a Janome 555 which I've had for 10 years but has now started jamming and chewing up my fabric on a regular basis so I am thinking about upgrading to a new computerised machine. I can't get over how many cool gadgets they all seem to have now!

I sew regularly and mainly use it for clothes, toys and soft furnishings but have just started getting into quilting.

I've been to the only sewing machine shop near me and tried the Janome txl607 which I really liked but there wasn't a huge amount of choice for comparison. I've seen the Brother Innov Is 350se online and it looks amazing but it's £100 more and not sure if it's worth it.

Anyone have experience of either of these 2 or can recommend any others?

Thanks

incywincybitofa Mon 04-Apr-16 11:02:16

What is your budget?
For quilting you want a wider throat really so you can roll the quilt into it.
I would also go for as many feet as you can get with a good quality machine
Top loading bobbin
One step button hole-standard in your price range I think
I am using the one supplier below because I have used him and he was good- but shop around
The number of stitches is a bit of a red herring, once you include alphabets and take out the stitches you will probably never use it isn't worth using that as a deciding factor
What about this machine- it is ex-display, but I bought my ex-display from them and it came boxed up like new.
www.sewingmachines.co.uk/products/husqvarna-opal-690q-ex-display/2790

This Janome? www.sewingmachines.co.uk/products/janome-smd-exclusive-smd4000/2388

What this Pfaff has is the equivalent of a built in walking foot which might be a consideration given your range of sewing
www.gursewingmachines.com/pfaff-ambition-10-idt-sewing-machine-6477
or this
www.gursewingmachines.com/pfaff-ambition-essential-idt-sewing-machine-13612

Firerise Mon 04-Apr-16 16:40:02

Thanks incy that's really kind of you and very useful. I really like the look of the Husqvana Viking one and happy to get an extra display one.

Budget is around the £500 mark but I might be able to justify a bit more (and feed the kids bean on toast for the next month wink)

Had a look at other ex displays on there and saw this one too www.sewingmachines.co.uk/products/pfaff-quilt-ambition-2-0-ex-display/2446

What machine do you use and do you like it??

Lintilla Mon 04-Apr-16 16:51:35

Hi, I have the Janome TXL607 which I've had for three years and I love it. I sew mostly clothes for me and my daughter and it's hasn't let me down on anything so far (including jersey, lightweight and denim). I have also made a few quilts on it and have been really pleased with them. I got mine from Jaycotts (it's currently on sale there) and their customer service is excellent. I would highly recommend this machine, I'm in love with mine! I have a Bernina overlocker which I also love so if for any reason I was to replace my Janome I would look at a Bernina but I'm hoping I won't need to for a very long time!

TwoLittleBlooms Mon 04-Apr-16 17:10:38

I have Brother FS-40, would be well within your budget. I really like it - had a clunky cheap machine before and this is a dream to use. I have bought a few extra feet - and have just being trying my hand at free motion embroidery on it. I have run up clothes and curtains and a small single patchwork quilt on it.

Firerise Tue 05-Apr-16 09:16:17

Thanks Lintilla and Twolittleblooms!

I think I am now favouring the 2 ex displays: Pfaff quilt ambition 2 and Husqvana Opal 690. It seems to be quite hard to find a decent review on line for either without having a Which account but might phone up the shop to ask what they think.

incywincybitofa Tue 05-Apr-16 10:00:06

I think both are good machines the IDT gives the Pfaff the edge if you are going to use the foot a lot.
If your choices are from that first site- the guy who owns the company will give a fairly unbiased review of the machines. If you read around different forums Russ (the guy) gets really good reviews

The Sewing Forum have some good reviews of the Opal and the Pfaff. It is free to join and I am sure if you ask people will reply on there as well.
To be honest they are both good machines, Pfaff has the better prestige but the Husqy has a lot going for it a few of my friends have bought Husqys and had no problems, but the Pfaff you have found does look very tempting and the Husqy doesn't have a walking foot you would need to buy that as extra.
In your shoes it would be hard to choose.

TwoLittleBlooms Wed 06-Apr-16 00:34:56

Firerise You can sign up for a Which? trial for about £1 which gives you full access - just remember to cancel so you don't pay for membership!

Firerise Wed 06-Apr-16 17:45:08

Thanks all!! I think I'm swaying towards the Pfaff precisely because of the IDT incy. Might see if I can find one somewhere to test it out before splashing out - should I really be this excited at the prospect of a new shiny machine??! grin

incywincybitofa Thu 07-Apr-16 11:57:46

I think buying a sewing machine is the most exciting thing ever and it is just a shame I don't do it more often.

Izzadoraduncancan Mon 11-Apr-16 13:33:35

I was going to say - go on the Pfaff. I have one and just love it. The range of accessories is brilliant also (try and get some thrown I !). Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now