Does anyone make toys to sell?

(3 Posts)
mumineedapooooo Tue 15-Mar-16 10:50:11

Hi
I'm thinking about making toys to sell but I'm concerned about regulations etc, I was wondering if anyone has any experience in this.
I've had a quick Google but feel a bit overloaded. The toys would have lots of little sewn on pieces and buttons etc so I'm worried it just wouldn't be possible/legal to sell.

InvictusVersinium Tue 15-Mar-16 16:36:13

Wouldn't you cover yourself by just putting a disclaimer on it like: Not suitable for Under 3 years old due to small parts"

That is what the big manufacturers do, isn't it?

You might ask for MN to move this to legal as you might get better advice there?

MiaowTheCat Mon 21-Mar-16 10:34:18

If you're on FB a good place to start is a group called "CE Marked Soft Toy Support Network"

Conformance sell a really good pack that walks you through testing it all - but basically you would need to source fabric and buttons etc that you could prove met the chemical migration regs (some manufacturers supply certificates to verify this, groups like the FB one have often clubbed together to get samples tested and sell copies of the certificates that they've done etc), and then do some basic toy testing both before and after washing - things like certain weights of pull testing, twist testing, pokey testing to a certain weight (sounds hard but involves a wooden spoon handle on a set of kitchen scales etc) and then burn testing holding a flame to the toy's toes and working out the speed it burns at (the intent is to burn slowly enough a child would realise and have time to react and drop the toy - not total inflammability btw).

Once you've sourced materials that you have the paperwork to prove are OK - the actual physical toy torture part isn't that bad to be honest.

Hopefully that all makes a bit of sense. You can't get away with the disclaimer or "not a toy" thing really - although people do try to do so - technically if it could be deemed to have "play value" you have to test it and CE mark.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now