Possible arthritis in left little finger from crochet?

(11 Posts)
emotionwreckage Sat 20-Feb-16 22:51:11

Hi fellow crocheters. I'm wondering whether the pain in my left little finger could be to do with crochet. Does anyone else have this? My little finger is always bent right over my palm to hold the yarn and I've noticed that I get some pain in the joint here. Thanks

MattDillonsPants Sat 20-Feb-16 23:51:44

It's more likely repetitive strain injury. Can you give the crochet a rest?

DelphiniumBlue Sat 20-Feb-16 23:55:23

Yes, RSI quite likely. I got this ( trigger thumb). Have had to stop crochet - took a good 6 months to get better - am wary of starting again, but I do miss crochet ing.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Sat 20-Feb-16 23:56:14

You could look at adjusting how you hold the yarn. I keep tension by wrapping it around my pinkie, so I don't need to hold it. I've seen others keeping tension just by holding it in between their pinkie and ring finger.

That could ease the strain.

ouryve Sun 21-Feb-16 00:03:59

I can't crochet because it hurts too much, but do knit.

Very likely some form of RSI. In my case, knitting the lovely Owls sweater, killed my thumbs and I haven't managed much more than the odd sock for years, now. Haven't really knitted for a year, as it hurts so much. The triger thumb got me my diagnosis of the condition that had been plaguing me in one way or another for my entire life - HMS.

I want to get back to knitting but it's going to need to be small socks (in small doses, due to tight gauge) and light, loose lacy things. No more chunky cabled sweaters in the round.

ouryve Sun 21-Feb-16 00:04:50

And yy to avoding tensioning with pinkie - one of the first things I learnt. I use middle two fingers for tensioning.

emotionwreckage Sun 21-Feb-16 19:04:23

Thanks for the tips on different ways to hold yarn. iI did some crocheting yesterday and my finger is worse than ever. I will try out some different techniques. I'm guessing that must be due to crocheting if others have had the same. It mostly seems to be thumbs so was wondering.

SoupDragon Mon 22-Feb-16 14:48:38

I don't think I use my left little finger at all when crocheting. I think I use my first two fingers but I can never remember unless I am actually crocheting!

MiaowTheCat Tue 23-Feb-16 13:25:43

I use the first finger of my left hand to point outwards as a yarn guide for tensioning - it stiffens up a bit if I overdo it but not to the point of causing pain.

I'm absolutely plagued with tendonitis and stiffness in my right hand though - which I tend to just work through and wear a hand splint when it gets really bad, but bizarrely the best cure I've found for hand stiffness when crocheting is going on a really really long car drive - there's something about how I hold my car steering wheel that seems to iron out all of the problems or something!

CloudsAway Tue 23-Feb-16 13:43:24

I also ended up with excruciating finger/knuckle pain after repetitive activities (not crochet though), but it was a hobby I was desperate to continue with. I went to a brilliant hand therapist who diagnosed hypermobility syndrome and gave me splints and exercises and so on, which really helped. I also learned to change how I did things, using less tension.

CrotchetQuaverMinim Tue 23-Feb-16 13:46:10

(it did, however, cost an absolute fortune, but it was worth it because of how much the hobbies meant to me).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now