New to crochet

(19 Posts)
ShoppingBasket Sun 17-Jan-16 18:44:24

I have decided I need to keep my hands busy [stop me eating].

I've flicked through posts on here but I've gotten so confused. Can anyone send me link on eBay to what I need to buy to get started! No point in me spending lots at moment until I see if I keep it up.

I'd like to make a blanket with diff colours, scarf and maybe few small toys for DS (nothing elaborate! Maybe a blob monster or something :D).

Thank you.

PolterGoose Sun 17-Jan-16 21:54:21

Buy yourself a 4mm crochet hook, either a cheap one or any that takes your fancy. Ones with plastic handles can be easier, but aren't essential.

Choose colours you like in Stylecraft Special DK (short for 'double knitting' which is the thickness of the yarn), it's a good yarn to learn with, and cheap, lighter colours are easier to learn with.

Scissors, darning needles and safety pins or stitch markers will make life easier if they're to hand.

redshoeblueshoe Sun 17-Jan-16 22:11:12

I got a set of very cheap hooks on Amazon, about £3 for a set of 10, and there are plenty of tutorials on youtube. Good luck - I found it easy once I got started

florentina1 Sun 17-Jan-16 22:14:13

Hi ShopingBasket. Are you anywhere near East London. I have just had,to give up crochet and have both wool, hooks and books you can have.

LaContessaDiPlump Sun 17-Jan-16 22:21:12

I am new to crochet too, as of Jan 1st! I've just bought this book (A Little Course In Crochet) and it is really good - I am already doing granny squares. DH and the kids are delighted hmm grin

ShoppingBasket Sun 17-Jan-16 22:51:23

Thanks everyone, will get ordering.
No I'm not Florentine but thank you very much for the offer.
I'm quite excited even though I'm not a crafty person!

SilverHawk Mon 18-Jan-16 21:08:26

florentina1 that is so sad that you have had to stop crocheting flowers
I remember when my DM had to stop knitting sad

florentina1 Mon 18-Jan-16 22:16:30

Thanks SilverHawk. Was or her hands?

SilverHawk Wed 27-Jan-16 21:36:16

No it was her shoulders, it sounds very odd these days but she had pace-maker wires put in up there.

NewYearSameMe Wed 27-Jan-16 21:43:32

These hooks are good for a start. I have a set of them as a spare set and they are nearly as good as my expensive ones.

NewYearSameMe Wed 27-Jan-16 21:51:43

I buy most of my Stylecraft Special DK online from Wool Warehouse.

I learned from a Craftsy course, they're a bit expensive but I bought it when it was on sale. It was easy to follow and went nice and slow.

Nodney Wed 27-Jan-16 21:55:02

Try Attic 24's website. The instructions for how to do some simple patterns are excellent. The back few pages of Simply Crochet magazine also have really good instructions on how to crochet too. I second Stylecraft Special DK from the Wool Warehouse. Excellent stuff!

NewYearSameMe Wed 27-Jan-16 22:09:13

I think the first baby blanket that I made was from Attic24, it was a granny stripe.

PurpleDaisies Wed 27-Jan-16 22:11:06

Love the colours newyearsame. Attic24 is one of my favourite crochet sites.

UndramaticPause Wed 27-Jan-16 22:15:42

I've hit you tube. There are loads of tutorials there and it means not having to learn how to read patterns (handy if you're dyslexic like me)

ShoppingBasket Fri 29-Jan-16 19:27:57

Great thank you I'll definitely buy those hooks, I'm very excited to start! I'll start with a teddy scarf first for my son's teddies and then I am going to make a nice blanket for the couch which will keep me going for awhile!

ShoppingBasket Fri 29-Jan-16 20:15:11

Sorry another question! How much does 100gof wool last?

PurpleDaisies Fri 29-Jan-16 20:18:14

It's difficult to say how much 100g of wool will cover because it depends on the stitch you're using and the size of the hook. The patten should give you a guide though.

ShoppingBasket Sat 30-Jan-16 15:14:43

OK great thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now