Threads for sewing on buttons

(5 Posts)
soloula Fri 20-Nov-15 15:55:57

I've got a massive big button box that I love to rummage through to find the perfect button for my finished knits but I often find I don't have threads to match the colour to sew them on. How do you get get round this without having a big box of threads to match? I've got a wee set of maybe ten threads in basic colours but quite often have to resort to splitting an embroidery thread to get a better match (which even then often isn't great).

PigeonPie Fri 20-Nov-15 16:20:08

Whilst embroidery thread isn't great it can be made stronger by waxing the thread with bees' wax.

SoupDragon Fri 20-Nov-15 17:26:46

Sometimes a contrasting colour can look good.

However, I have a thread collection to match the size of my button collection smile

StEdmundsPippins Fri 20-Nov-15 17:41:26

I was once told by my Needlecraft teacher at school that if you didn't have a perfectly matching thread when sewing cloth, then use the closest to it in a darker shade.

Eg when sewing mid pink cloth, use a darker pink shade.

Maybe you could apply the same to your buttons?

BlueCowWonders Fri 20-Nov-15 18:56:49

I got a pot of lots of thread in a display of Christmas presents last year. -i think it was the shop going for a vintage look. None is very long, but just right for buttons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now