knitting pattern - hat and scarf combo?

(14 Posts)
Waswondering Sat 18-Nov-06 18:32:49

Mil has needles at the ready. Is there a pattern for a baby hat (6m) with long tails that could be a scarf and be cosy round the face? Does this exist?

TIA

(all I know about knitting, btw, is that it involves wool!!!)

Waswondering Sun 19-Nov-06 19:37:05

Anyone?

Waswondering Mon 20-Nov-06 19:50:53

No?

Sorry, I can have a dig for you. Do you already have wool? What kind of knitting does MIL do?

(I have to go out now, but will do it later, I promise!)

I'm not having any luck so far. How good a knitter is your mil? Can she work things out a fair bit?

I can tell you how I'd knit a hat like this. I'd do a pinhole caston, knitting the hat from the top down. When I'd done enough hat, I'd BO most of it, except for the bits I wanted to have as scarves. Then knit the scarf bits, iyswim (knit one while other is on holder, obviously).

Waswondering Tue 21-Nov-06 15:43:02

She's knitting my nephew a hat with tails and I reckon you would just continue the tails down. She can do cardigans, jumpers, arran and hats. Is that good?? Also did a lovely baby shawl for dd.

No idea what wool!!! Sorry. Not very helpful is it.

Hard to know how good she is - there are plenty of people out there who are more technically competant than me, but really actually need patterns, while I'm a bit slapdash, but see patterns as more of a hindrance than a help.

I'd talk to her about whether she needs a pattern, or whether she's just looking for guidance about what styles and colours you like?

kikidee Wed 22-Nov-06 20:35:33

Hi waswondering, Erika Knight's Baby Bloom book has a pattern for a pixie hat which has ear flaps which have cords with pompoms attached to it. Is that the sort of thing you're after? I also saw some a nice pattern book for Sirdar Sublime wool and it had a pattern for a baby helmet - a bit like a balaclava. You can see a picture here

Waswondering Wed 22-Nov-06 21:39:17

NEarly - I want something that can gently go around her face leaving only her eyes exposed iyswim (we're going to N Canada for Christmas - today it's -28 at the moment!)

Is there a link for the balaclava?

Oh, I'm thinking about making some of these for cycling.

Not a scarfy one, though, some sort of real balaclava.

I'm just trying to work out how to make it fit properly, in acrylic.

Waswondering Wed 22-Nov-06 21:51:23

Actually, think I've just found a link by accident

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230055157519

the green one - hat and scarf combo

(I have a proper hat for her btw, this is a liner layer I'm looking for! Just emailed mil suggesting she knits 3 - one for dd, and 2 more for ds and dn, so that the 3 cousins can be cute togehter! I can hear her sigh from here . . .)

kikidee Wed 22-Nov-06 22:08:40

Sorry waswondering, the link was to the baby helmet but on looking at it again, it's not really like a balaclava is it? A balaclava covers much more of the face. I'm afraid I haven't come across anything like that in any of my books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now