Is it possible/ worth it to get a dress altered? How do I find out?

(4 Posts)
OctonautsAgain Fri 03-Jul-15 16:20:18

I can't sew at all so feel like a complete imposter here! Some advice would be great though please.

I ordered a rather nice black dress (from Kaleidoscope of all places) for the princely sum of £14, but it's too big. It's the smallest size available so I cant exchange. If I scrunch the back in with my hand at waist level, it fits much better.

How would I find out if it's possible to take in? Would it cost more than the dress? If I find a local seamstress, do you try things on in front of them and they work out what to do?

Apologies if I sound useless. I am quite capable in (a few) other areas of life, promise grin

Reginafalangie Fri 03-Jul-15 16:24:10

To take the dress in a good seamstress will pin it while you are wearing it. I cannot imagine it costing more than £10 but I am going off local prices.

OctonautsAgain Fri 03-Jul-15 22:15:41

Thanks regina, I'll have a look. (Love your name! Was it off Friends or am I making that up??)

Reginafalangie Fri 03-Jul-15 22:34:04

Nope you are not making it up it is indeed from friends. grin it is the one when phoebe takes delivery of a sports car bed for Monica.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now