Anyone ever made a leotard and how hard was it?

(6 Posts)
JillBYeats Mon 29-Jun-15 14:27:47

Just that really. DD does ballet and is spending a fortune on leotards and the like and I would like to try my hand at producing one but I am a self-taught, beginner sewer. I have a basic machine and have made a few skirts, a dress and a shirt plus a lot of clothing adjustments. I am not always successful (as think I am too careless to be a good sewer). Anyone? Anyone?

CotedePablo Mon 29-Jun-15 14:36:55

Yes, many years ago (girls now grown up). As I remember, it wasn't too difficult, just got to be careful as the fabric can be a bit slippy to work with.

Micah Mon 29-Jun-15 14:40:04

It's really easy. Jalie for patterns, fabric land for cheap Lycra and stretch net. Even tutu's aren't that hard.

You will need a machine with a stretch stitch, and a ballpoint needle.

JillBYeats Tue 30-Jun-15 17:28:52

blush what is a stretch stitch - my machine is very basic - dh bought it as a surprise (to my horror) present many years ago and the lady in the Singer shop recommended this one with 5 stitches, well, I say 5 but really it's two - straight or zigzag (4 different widths of zigzag make up the 5) so I guess I don't have a "stretch stitch"?

and I presume I cna buy a ballpoint needle in a sewing shop - what's it for.

blush again - I really am amateur

Itscurtainsforyou Tue 30-Jun-15 17:32:37

I think zigzag is a stretch stitch (or that's how I've always used it...)

Micah Tue 30-Jun-15 21:45:51

A stretch stitch is a very close zigzag, so it looks like a normal stitch but slightly goes back on itself so stretches with the fabric.

A ballpoint or stretch needle is for stretch or jersey type fabrics. So the needle slips in between the weave and doesn't tear the fabric, which a normal sharp needle might do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now