Crochet pattern help

(13 Posts)
MadgeMak Thu 28-May-15 22:12:41

I'm a crochet beginner and have made a few things now, however I'm a bit stuck on my current project. The pattern says to ch2, ch3. Not sure what that means?! I'm assuming if it means to chain 2 and then 3 from the same stitch then it would simply say ch5. Can anyone shed any light?

RedandYellow24 Thu 28-May-15 22:14:27

Is it chain 2 next stitch chain 3 one after? What is the line before and after, might help

AnimalsAreMyFriends Thu 28-May-15 22:14:35

Can you put it in the context of the row / round you are doing? What's before / after it?
What are you making?

CaTsMaMmA Thu 28-May-15 22:15:58

it's maybe to imply that the 2 ch is the height, and the three chain is the gap

the first two are to replace a treble or double crochet depending on if you are UK or US instructions

have you a link to the pattern??

MadgeMak Fri 29-May-15 15:09:09

It's a dream catcher. So pattern reads as follows:

Round 1
Ch8, ss to first ch to form a ring

Round 2
Ch2 (counts as first so in this round and all following), 15dc in ring, join into the top of the 2nd ch from start with a ss (16dc)

Round 3
Ch2, ch3, miss 1 st, 1dc in next st, ch3; repeat from to end of round finishing with miss 1 st, join into the top of the 2nd ch from start with a ss (8 3ch-sps)

TheWoollybacksWife Fri 29-May-15 15:29:14

It is as CaTsMaMmA said above. Your 2ch is worked in place of a dc and forms a stitch of the same height as a dc and then the 3ch is the same as the 3ch worked on all the all repeats on the same round.

MadgeMak Sat 30-May-15 09:45:23

Thanks. I'm still struggling to work out what I'm meant to do though! So do I ch3 then ch2 from the next stitch or am I completely lost?!

EdwiniasRevenge Sat 30-May-15 10:00:04

I think you ch5.
Its just because its the beginning of the round. As as been said the ch2 is in place of a dc and the ch3 is the beginning of tge round proper.

when you join at the end of the row you are joining into the beginning of the ch3 (ie the third chain of 5?).

Tokelau Sat 30-May-15 10:05:08

I would chain 5 and then carry on with the pattern that repeats. The chain 2 is instead of the first double crochet. You can only do a DC from the top not from the bottom, which is why you do 2 ch instead. The ch 3 is the same as the ch 3 which follows each DC. Hope that helps, and I haven't confused you any more. grin

MiaowTheCat Sat 30-May-15 12:21:19

The first bit of the instruction is the starting chain you're making in place of the initial DC because it's the first stitch in the round, the second bit is the chain space you'll have recurring around in the pattern.

SoupDragon Sat 30-May-15 17:34:15

I agree that you chain 5. 2 in place of a DC (as you did at the beginning of the previous round) and 3 for the Ch3 that forms part of the subsequent instructions. They've written the pattern oddly.

SoupDragon Sat 30-May-15 17:34:53

Most patterns I've seen would have said "Ch5 (counts as first DC and Ch3)"

MadgeMak Sat 30-May-15 18:37:13

Thanks all, I think I get it now!

I'll probably be back when I hit the next hurdle wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now