Can anyone suggest a good beginner shawl pattern and yarn please?

(13 Posts)
piemashandliquer Wed 20-May-15 18:21:59

I am a novice knitter (but can crochet). I would like to knit myself a fairly simple shawl, perhaps with a nice edging, in a lovley yarn. I have searched ravelry but was pretty overwhelming, so I would like some personal recommendations if poss please.

I really fancy using Rowan Lima or similar, but open to suggestions.

I'd like the shawl to be longer than a shawlette but not massive as I'm quite small. It must cover my shoulders to mid back and must be warm. I saw a Louisa Harding one called eglantine but have no idea how tricky it would be to knit.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

PolterGoose Wed 20-May-15 22:11:51

I've knitted 3 scarfs/shawls by Martina Behm here on Ravelry, you can make them as big as you choose, and after initial getting in the rhythm of the pattern, very easy and look much fancier than they are wink

Anjelica27 Wed 20-May-15 22:34:34

Hi, have a look at 'Afternoon Tea' on Knitty.com. The pattern is for a shawlette but I've done it several times and you just keep going until it's as big as you want. Same with the wool, I've used something different each time. Easy repetitive pattern too once you get going.

piemashandliquer Wed 20-May-15 22:58:56

Thank you for responses. Poltergoose: which ones have you tried from Martina? I was hoping for something a little bigger to keep me warm. I like the afternoon tea one, it does look a little complicated though...

Anjelica27 Thu 21-May-15 00:07:45

Ok. If you register with Lionbrand.com (it's free and they don't bother u) have a look at the diagonal eyelet baby blanket. Dead simple and looks lovely. Obviously it is a square blanket but you start with one corner and just increase until it's the size you want at the centre and then decrease back down to the opposite corner. I've done it as a shawl and just stopped when it got big enough at the centre so you have a triangle. I think I used a 4 ply.

PolterGoose Thu 21-May-15 07:08:31

I've done the Hitchhiker, Trillian and Miss Winkle ones. All of them you can keep going to make bigger. I don't know about the other's but these could definitely be done with thicker yarn/bigger needles to make them bigger and warmer.

PolterGoose Thu 21-May-15 07:08:57

others

piemashandliquer Thu 21-May-15 15:19:13

Thank you both, some good ideas, I'll check them out.

GetMeOut Fri 22-May-15 11:51:42

I enjoyed doing Martina's Lintilla as well. Garter stitch with a swirly, curvy edge that looks more difficult than it is. These patterns all show off variegated yarns very well. I enjoyed using the Manos del Uraguay yarns ( spun and dyed by women's co operatives in Uruguay ). You can get a good sized scarf out of just one skein but just use more to make it more shawl sized.

piemashandliquer Fri 22-May-15 21:06:52

Thank you, Getme, I really like that one, and I will check out the yarn also. Are the short rows difficult? I don't know how to do those.

GetMeOut Fri 22-May-15 22:24:52

I hadn't done them before either, but she explains it quite well ( wrap and turn) plus there is also a link to a video tutorial in the pattern.
I think I had to unpick once and then I got the hang of it and could see what I was meant to be doing.
I kept a pencil near me to tally up the rows , or cross off the rows, as I was working in case I got interrupted, or lost count ! It's quite a forgiving pattern though.

lurkerspeaks Sun 24-May-15 14:40:15

I have done a lintilla or two - one I did with Wollmeise (WM) pure - it can be hard to get hold of but is a lovely squishy merino. The pattern was originally written for the WM variegated yarns. She also has a free pattern called 22.5 that I knitted and liked.

The last Lintilla I made used Manos del uraguay Fino. It knitted up well and looked and felt lovely.

Other shawls I like are Boo Knits sweet dreams (which is lace) but you have to buy the pattern as part of a book. Or Ishbel by Ysolda Teague.

Yarnwise my other favourite Indy dyer is Old Maiden Aunt the superwash/ cashmere/ nylon and superwash/ silk are especially shawl friendly.

You want something that will feel nice at your neck.

piemashandliquer Sun 24-May-15 20:41:22

Thanks both, I am keen on having a go at the 22.5 degrees but making it a big bigger and also as I could do the cute shell edging with a crochet hook. If it goes well, I'll give the lintilla a go. I don't think I'm really ready for lace, I'm too chicken! As for yarn, I have checked out the suggestions, many thanks, not overly sure I love some of the weird variegated yarn colour ways. I have my eye on Louisa Harding Amitola in hummingbird, or maybe something one colour but really luxurious like the manos. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. If you think of any more, let me know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now