Where do you buy cheap material?

(4 Posts)
nuttybananas Sat 16-May-15 22:20:39

So I'm starting my second project with my new(ish) sewing machine but funds are low so I need to be clever...
I want to make curtains for a camper van - after a decent thickish material in some jazzy pattern. I haven't done proper measurements yet but the old (hideous plain blue polyester) ones are quite a large pile so I suspect I will be needing a good few metres so odds and ends won't be enough.
I'm on outskirts of Manchester - was thinking possibly a market like Bolton but not sure if it will have material stalls.
What kind of places do you buy cheap material from?

GetMeOut Sun 17-May-15 08:37:52

How about car boot sales and charity shops ? You might find some old 70s curtains you could adapt and go for the retro look. Shame you are not closer to me as I think I have some 70s curtains in the loft smile

GemmaTeller Sun 17-May-15 08:47:26

If you're on the outskirts of Manchester I would recommend:

Aberkhan, www.abakhan.co.uk, they have branches in Manchester, Bolton and Preston and quite often have an off-cuts section with quite big pieces in it.

Leons Fabrics, www.leonsfabrics.co.uk in Chorlton

There are also a couple of fabric stalls on Bury Market

Some branches of Dunelm have a large fabric/craft section (the one in Bolton did the last time I was there)

Butterchunks Tue 26-May-15 19:23:24

Ikea Warrington has load of fabrics on the roll, not sure of prices but there's probably a decent price range. or buy some of their mega cheap (£3.50) duvet covers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now