Weaving in ends on a granny square help please

(6 Posts)
piemashandliquer Wed 06-May-15 21:14:51

I am trying to do the attic 24 summer granny squares with 4 rounds of different colours and have joined the yarn as she advises. I did 27 squares to see if I could get on with it, and loved it. BUT, I had a mass of very long tails to weave in which took almost as long as the squares themselves.

I have seen a lady from BellaCoco on utube who only has very short tails but she doesn't ever say why and how she deals with them.

Can anyone point me to a good utube link that demos this please? Is putting me off doing more squares as I'd like to do a blanket.

Many thanks

PolterGoose Thu 07-May-15 16:29:59

I tend to leave fairly long tails so they're easier to thread on a needle, but I only weave in about 1.5-2 inches and then snip the ends off.

The quickest way with multiple square blankets is to do a batch of the squares with the centre colour, then do tails. Then do the next colour rounds and their tails and so on.

RoosterCogburn Thu 07-May-15 17:20:15

I tend to weave as I go otherwise I find it a daunting task at the end.
As PolterGoose said it's much easier to weave a longer tail in.

piemashandliquer Thu 07-May-15 20:31:25

Thanks both, no shortcuts then? sad

RoosterCogburn Thu 07-May-15 20:43:16

Not really, you can crochet over ends but Granny Squares are a bit too full of holes for that so I tend to use that method with a more solid pattern.

When I made my first blanket I left all my ends and then had to do them all in one go and I found it very demoralising. Since then I have always done each end as soon as the round is finished - it just becomes second nature and you don't have the should destroying task at the end.

piemashandliquer Thu 07-May-15 21:28:11

Thanks Rooster, at least I know, and have only done 27 squares so far. Could have been worse. I will have to get into the habit of doing them as you suggest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now